skimmer question??

C

cristiangarcia

Ok, I bought the skimmer..heard it wasn't that great but in these times anything is better than nothing. SO, I purchased the "sea clone 150". Now... I hooked up the skimmer but one question I do have; Its the "air flow control". Should I have the flow on maximum, bursting mega bubble flow
, ooor if so then should I just take the air control cap off so all the air flow goes threw? OR am I just suppost to have it on medium? I t seems like the more higher I put it the more water comes out with buubles...now isn't that bad? I heard you dont want bubbles going into the water...something like its bad for the fish. Well any information on this equipment is greatly appreciated!!!! thanx

derekc

when i had my seaclone 120 it suckd lol..but ne ways a good way to get it going right is to unscrew it all the way out...then proceed to thread it back in slowly till you hear your protein skimmer gurgle..once you hear it STOP. And let it do its thing right there for a while..worked for me..

oh yea and the bubbles will go away with time, it needs to break in...im pretty sure you should run it with the cap fully closed first for 48 hrs if it is brand new. then proceed to the instructions i just gave you and it should work out fine.

C

cristiangarcia

well im gonna try that out. Ive been reading on forums and everyone says this is a load of ----. Do u think I should just clean it up and return it? Im woundering if theyll even accept it back? what u think?

pumper

If I were you, i'd go ahead and take that worthless piece of acrylic back and get my money before it gets dirty. A seaclone 100 was my first mistake, and most new hobbiest mistake. I ended up cutting my seaclone up to make the riser for my diy skimmer. I used the inner part of the skimmer to make a media reactor. IMO seaclones are good for two things: harvesting the acrylic and using the maxijet pump it come with for something useful.
This so called "skimmer" will pull out a very, very, small amount of skimmate.
All I can tell you is good luck, it took mine around three weeks before it started working half-arsed.
Oh, and fyi, it only started working in a mediocre fashion after a added an air-stone and air pump to the reaction chamber.

meowzer

What you do with it now is up to you, Like I have said, I use the seaclone and they work fine for me...I have made no modifications...YES it is a cheaper skimmer then the rest, but sometimes that is what some of us have to use until a better one is affordable.
And yes...it's better than nothing.