Slice's 47g Coral Evolution

slice

I cleaned my tank and found...
an empty canvas, just waiting for coral!

47g column, 7 months old
55# LR, 3" SB, Koralia 1100 and 1400, HOB Skimmer/Refugium
6x18w=108w total T5 (4 12000k, 2 actinic)
Ph 8.2-8.4
Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates ~10
Must get a reef test kit SOON.
1 Royal Gramma, 3 Green Chromis (want to add a pair of firefish and eventually, a dwarf angel)
10 Nassy Snails, 2 Cerith Snails (Turbos and Astreas became crab lunch)
3 Pep Shrimp (want a pair of cleaners)
2 Emerald Crabs (may go back to LFS soon or banished to 'fuge and possibly exchanged for a few hermits)
So, the question is: what can I have in the way of coral? The rockwork has
many tunnels and caves for fish and inverts and also has many flat platforms at various depths.
Here is the same pic with an "inches from light" scale:
Current thinking is to start with some zoos in the 16"-20" range and/or shrooms in the 20"-23" range.

With this tank being so tall, I don't want to have to repeatedly move whatever goes in, if at all possible.
I want growth, but not too much growth. When the coral eventually finds a tankmate, I would
like for the coral to work out their differences among themselves, if possible.
I have larger versions of these pictures if they are needed instead.
Thanks in advance for your kind advice and suggestions!

mrdc

Nice. I'm super busy right now but I am on here.
With your tall tank, I would defnitely go with something that branches upwards like acros. Let me know when you are ready for some.

slice

I think you and I both use this place as a diversion against increased stress levels at work.
I will definitely let you know when I am ready for acros (you just made my Christmas Card list).

slice

*Update*
Continuing to get in position for coral, I finally exchanged those dead coral skeleton pieces for regular LR. The coral skeleton, while adding contrast which I liked, harbored way too much detritus. One of the 3 pieces was in a place where I could not easily pull for cleaning. As I removed that piece and passed it in front of a PH, a cloud of detritus flew off. I will not be ever using that stuff again. Here is what the tank looks like now:

Here is the side view from my chair, my usual viewing spot

One of the new rocks has a few mushrooms hitchhikers (sorry for the blurr) You can see them in the front view, left side, halfway up. There are 2 larger ones just off the top of this pic. They are not happy (shriveled). They will just have to man up and get with the program. These 2 and a very small purple one on the side look very happy.

so....I have something in the tank now, but I'm not calling it my first coral. My official "first" will be Eagle Eyes or Green Dragon Eyes..coming soon!

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdc http:///forum/thread/381452/i-cleaned-my-tank-and-found#post_3352211
Finally got some coral in there ...
Well, as I said, not calling it my first since they are hitchhikers, BUT!!
Thanks to this forum, I have found a fellow member who lives only 12 miles away who has offered some mushrooms!!! Thanks T316
!!!
I will pick them up tomorrow and will tell you all about it.
I will then say I have my first coral as these will be deliberately put in.

mrdc

I am really glad that a local reef club started here. I have given away several frags and have received several myself at no charge. I did pay a guy to build be an ato for the 29g which is working great. We are having a meeting at the end of the month and I plan to unload a lot of montipora and other dry fish goods that I will never use.
Quote:
I have found a fellow member who lives only 12 miles away who has offered some mushrooms!!!

slice

Someone in post #9 offered me some acros.
It would be a royal PITA to ship it though...way too much trouble, most likely...

al&burke

That's OK Joe I am working too - Our servers was down for three hours, another two I am out of here, setting up a Nano tank in my son's school then going skating, sorry babbling again.