Small Tangs!!

bill109

hey
went to the lfs and saw a miniature YELLOW tang he was 2 inches
do they stay small or get bigger ? do they have any tang that stay a small size?
put one in my tank? (30, im upgading in a year or 2 to something bigger) hes been in a tank about the same size as mine for a few months! hes j ust with corals and no other fish but he put him in there because he didnt think anyone would want to buy them

bill109

Originally Posted by engineer
I personally have never heard of a minature yellow tang!!!!!
lol me niether he said someimtes when they dont have medium sized ones they send him llarg and small i think i might jump on it and put a miniature tang in.

rs1831

What don't you understand about tangs. There are no such thing as a miniature tang. Is going to outgrow your tank in just a few months. Why and even post questions on any type of board when all you do is go against what you don't want to hear and keep reposting the same type of question? Why don't you check out a dwarf yellow angel if you want something yellow?

bill109

Originally Posted by rs1831
What don't you understand about tangs. There are no such thing as a miniature tang. Is going to outgrow your tank in just a few months. Why and even post questions on any type of board when all you do is go against what you don't want to hear and keep reposting the same type of question? Why don't you check out a dwarf yellow angel if you want something yellow?
well im not sure never thought about it the lfs said that hes only seen a few small tangs like 2 or 3 of all the years. maybe they do maybe they dont stay small like a dwarf angel thing? correct me if im wrong but i thoght i heard right maybe not.
what kind of angel are you talking about ive only seen a few small yellow angles
BTW if you want me to leave the message board then say so and the deed is done. i dont want to be bashed for being a newbie. but i cant do anyting to correct this overnight im sorry for being rude but i am acccepting new ideas plus i had never even thought to look from the fishes prespective. :joy:

ledzep fan

Originally Posted by rs1831

A few months? You must be kidding. A yellow tang so small will not grow that fast. Maybe a couple of years but, a few months? No way, at least in MHO. I have a Blue Tang for 5 months and he hasn't grown an inch.

bill109

Originally Posted by LedZep fan
A few months? You must be kidding. A yellow tang so small will not grow that fast. Maybe a couple of years but, a few months? No way, at least in MHO. I have a Blue Tang for 5 months and he hasn't grown an inch.
really that is goo info to hear. how long do you thnk it would take to make a full grown tang (yellow) from 2 inches? j/w

dogstar

Bill...I dont wish you to leave the board.
But I do wish you, and many others would try to use proper puncuation and capitalization, ect. in your post.
Without this, it makes it hard to read and understand the post and also causes me and others not to respond.
There are no drawf tangs and IMO, the LFS guy is lieing to you to get you to buy the fish....

bill109

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Bill...I dont wish you to leave the board.
But I do wish you, and many others would try to use proper puncuation and capitalization, ect. in your post.
Without this, it makes it hard to read and understand the post and also causes me and others not to respond.
There are no drawf tangs and IMO, the LFS guy is lieing to you to get you to buy the fish....
haha sorry yeah i know what you mean but im always in a rush to do things so i type them fast and check them in an hour or 2
i know you going to say that this hobby isnt right but i make time for fish but the computer time is a killer
yeah someone told me that a flame angel would be a good decision for a 3o gallon tank that has been set up for a month? my lfs said to use a test fish something cheap but i dont wish to do that but go around this and to the angel so i font take room up its a waste to keep one fish and change it in the future and etc.

elvictre

Flame angels are a hard fish to acclimate to a new tank IMO. I would go with a Bicolor or a coral beauty.
Vic

dut

30 gallon is too small for any of the tangs. There is no such thing as a minature tang. If the ls guy is telling you that the yellow tang will stay that size he is boldy lying to you and must be trying to make a sell. Next thing will be a tea-cup nurse shark.

hot883

Originally Posted by xDave
Hey, where's the Miniature Tang Police when ya need'em

Here I am. Naw, just kidding. i take the tang thing serious but not as serious as some. No tang can go in a 30, 55, 75. 90 etc. for a long period of time. Some will argue, but, for the benefit of the fish, don't do it. Alot of people buy one cause they look cool and then they grow out of the tank, and most do not or cannot afford to upgrade. So the fish stresses out and gets sick. I am dying to have a sohal tang, but cannot in my 125.
Fish IMHO are like dogs. A Great Dane is cute as a puppy and most people are not smart enough to do the research and see that that breed of dog will get 4 feet tall. A 1 bedroom apartment with no lawn is no place for that dog. Same here with tangs. Most of them GET HUGE.
I came to this site originally to learn; I learn everyday. What works for some people will not work for you.
I started in this hobby in 1987 and still feel like I know nothing. Research and read and read these threads some more. Someone coming here to seek advice SHOULD listen to the advice given and make an informed decision based upon everyone elses experience and what that individual reads in good Marine Aquarists books.
A person should not post a question and then argue the fact. Read the info. given because alot of times we post from personal experiences because we did not listen ourselves.
Hope that helps. Stay in the hobby and stay on this forum. I have learned more in the year and almost 1/2 then I did all the other years combined. Beacuse I tend to listen and learn to respect reefers and other hobbiest like Beth, Ophuira, Murph, Spegg, AW2x3, on and on and on, There are to many to list that have helped me out greatly. I owe my success to them all.

debbie

bill109 said:
hey
went to the lfs and saw a miniature YELLOW tang he was 2 inches
Let me tell you, if they had miniature yellow tangs I would be the first to get one. Love, love, love these fish and of course the color too...... :cheer:
I really need a bigger tank......

promisetbg

I have a Blue Tang for 5 months and he hasn't grown an inch.
What are you feeding him?

E

emeralcrab

I've had my blue baby tang in a 16g QT for over a month, and she/he has already grown. eats like a pig. I think they are really little pigs disquised as fish. :joy: She is looking forward to the 150g.

stanlalee

I have had my hippo tang which I bought at an advertised .75-1" size though he/she looked more like 1.5" to me when I bought it but in the 4 months + I've had em (got it in may) its grown about 0.5". He's in a 30 gallon by itself. Quite honestly I thought I'd have my new tank up by now but I really dont have much left to get but lights and LR. anyway he/she went thru some initial ruff times but has been problem free the last several months once I got more dedicated to diet (feeding time consistancies, right food, enough food which seems to be algae sheet available at all times except night along with two small feedings daily ect). Now thats its perfectly healthy looking, comfortable with its surroundings outside the tank (come to the glass when people approach instead of under a rock) and acting like a tang (picking and looking for food along the rocks which it never did the first few months) I kinda dred the tank transfer will just set it back again. BTW he's out survived MUCH hardier fish that were in the same tank that died for whatever unknown reasons.
On a side note it didn't take but about 3wks for problems (read ich) to rear its ugly head. something I've never had any other fish have (except a hippo tang about 8yrs ago but not in this system). Dont know how much him starting in a 30 gallon had to do with it. I figured if I quarantined he/she would have ended up in a 10 gallon which couldn't have been any better. Cleaner shrimp never hurts either

best side shot I could get (from a month ago). he/she wont pose. oh and that maroon clown up above. tang slashed him under the mouth and it never recoved. hippo tang aint peaceful with like size fish when been in a small tank by itself for a while

E

emeralcrab

My baby hippo has gone through a LOT also, with the ammonia in my well water and etc. I think that I am on the home front now since I know what was going on. I now do water changes in the QT tank and other tanks with RO water that I have to buy until I get a unit for our house. She/he has been such a trouper, I to am dreading the move to the big tank. I did have to take out my baby huma huma trigger as the hippo was beating up on it in the 16 QT tank. So she is in there by herself. They are so fun to watch. I hope all goes well when I put her in the 150 next week if she stays clear of ick. :happyfish
By the way cute pictures.

bill109

Originally Posted by elvictre
Flame angels are a hard fish to acclimate to a new tank IMO. I would go with a Bicolor or a coral beauty.
Vic
i tried to get a bicoloor they are beautiful but they can get up to 6 inches alittle big for a 30 with other fish what do you mean with the flame angel and acclimating .. like not being mature? isnt it teh samething for the coral beauty i was thinking one of thosse or a cherub
would this be a good or bad idea.
2 clowns inch
1 domino damsel inch
MAYBE> yellow tang 3- 4 inches
coral beauty 2 inches
i am planning on up grading by the end of next year or around this time next year from a 30 to a 100 plus

bill109

yeah i didnt quite understand him but the small tang was a baby and would get bigger it wa sin the tank for a bout a year and is still 2 inches it has only grown very little. could i keep a tang in a 30 if i plan to upgrade within the next year.. cus i am to a in the wall systemm!!!!