snail deaths

new

have a question on snails, what should i look for in the water that would kill mexican turbos. lose 1 a week about, nitrates are high doing 25% changes weekly to reduce, LFS ro unit broke:(. right now they are at 40 but 2 different LFS cant think of any reasons.

fshhub

they should not be too bad with those trates, what are your other parameters,
if everything is in line, then do not worry, turbos die, they fall offf the glass and if they land upside down, they cannot flip over and eventuallly die, one thing i have heard is that a lower salininty can cause them to fall off. i am not too sure of the validity, but we have lost 1 in the last several months, after increaing our salinity. now we keep it about 1.025 and don't hardly loose any
HTH

wamp

They die in the best of tanks. have even seen hermits get a Kung-Fu-Grip on em for their shells.
Could be we do not provide enough food for them. Who knows, all I do know is they die even in the best of tanks.

bang guy

Turbo (any large snail) deaths are usually the result of:
1. Predation
2. Acclimating too fast
3. Salinity not kept at NSW levels
4. Starvation
5. Copper
Turbo's live 10 - 15 years in the wild.

new

all other levels are good, salinity i keep at 1.024, everythingelse is great been a week since i added any. not really major concern but being new i wanted to see if there was somethingelse i needed to check before it became real bad.

surfnturf

I lost 2 turbos in one week, found them both on their backs and I think that my dwarf zebra hermits got them. I swore them off. I got a few hitchhiker stomatellas that do a great job.