snail heaveN off-kilter commentary tank building thread

snailheave

just so we understand each other:
i am a psycho, a freak, a pervert, an ass, etc. so... expect the unexpected i guess.

snailheave

in case you haven't noticed, you do need a tank and a stand. this is a standard 80g, 4 feet long, etc, etc. don't remember the other details.
the overflow is built-in, meaning it's firmly glued to the back glass. it has teeth on all three sides and two holes on the two sides for returns.

snailheave

this is the back of the tank, stand, and the overflow. not shown here is the drilled hole on the bottom of the overflow. you'll want a durso stand pipe to make the drain, which is not shown here.
what this picture tells you is that, don't push the tank in until you're done with the plumbing, coz it's freaking heavy.

snailheave

this one shows the hole where the threaded 'bulkhead' will go into. the two tubes are for the returns. the pump leads up to these and to the Y nozzles. you'll need those white tapes where there are threaded. and you'll need clamps on where there are not.

snailheave

many of these things, you can find online, and you'll recognize them if they have pictures.
in this picture i have a ball valve for water regulation, and a check valve for back-flood prevention. i also have a Y connector with a coupling to fit the pump.

snailheave

then you connect one end of the flexible tube to the bottom of overflow through the bulkhead. before you do, you should apply the tube with cement

snailheave

then as you slip the tube in, you turn it around in circles so the cement apreads out thoroughly. the cement will take minutes to cure so you have that much time to work with. once it's secured it'll take hours to totally cure.

snailheave

then you connect the Y tube to the pump, and from each end of the Y should go the clear tubing. it leads to one of the two returns. use the clamps on each connection that has no thread.

snailheave

before you do any of this, be sure to put your refugium inside under the stand. it's easier to work this way i found out.

snailheave

if you are confident that everything's connected correctly you can push the entire stand back in. it's now doubly heavy.

snailheave

now it's time to work on the fuge. this miracle mud thing came with the refugium so i used it. not gonna get into the argument of whether it's good or not. it was there, and i used it. end of discussion.

snailheave

Originally Posted by crazyzeus1
You are SO smart
...wish I knew as much about our tank set-up as you do...
did you know that i had to stop for an hour coz i cut my thumb and dripped all the way to the bathroom?
the cat was curious about the blood. i toughed it out and finished the project

the wound stayed fresh opened for two more weeks.

crazyzeus1

I slammed my thumb in the Corvette door last week & it bled all day long. Thought I'd have to haul my 2yo son to the ER with me to get stitches...
Back to your chronicles now...

T

tizzo

Maybe he's not so smart... :thinking:
Lemme see if I can do that quote thing...
i am a psycho, a freak, a pervert, an ass, etc.
:thinking: :thinking:
Oh well, it's a good thread.

snailheave

in goes the water. i pre-mixed it instead of putting fresh water in the system and adding salt. i don't want to kill any miracles in the miracle sand.
this is also about the time i said 'this sucks' coz the water was so dirty.
KIDS, DO NOT USE ANY BIO-BALLS. THIS IS A MISTAKE PICTURED HERE.

snailheave

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Maybe he's not so smart... :thinking:
Lemme see if I can do that quote thing...
:thinking: :thinking:
Oh well, it's a good thread.
omg tizzo's here!
<blows load>