snail ID please

escape2thewater

I got 2 of these guys from my LFS the other day. They werent too sure what they were, just some type of detrivore / sand sifting snail. I thought fighting conch but after looking at pics on swf.com, im not sure......any ideas?? The snail has a very long "trunk" that comes out of its shell to get food with. Its about 2.5 inches long & 1 inch around. ( not the hermit thats harassing him! )
Thanks,
Kyle
:)

justinx

fighting or queen conch. Dont know which one, but I do know that the queen conch can grow to over a foot in length. Both are good snails.
Jusitn

col

I'm curious why you would buy something and not have a clue what it is.
If they didn't know what they were, how did they know what to charge?

bang guy

Looks like a Strombus sp. I just don't know whick one. Looks like it eats Diatoms but watch it carefully.

escape2thewater

Col, I had a clue what it was actually. And so did the lfs. its some type of sand sifting detrivore/cleanup critter, which is what I need in my tank. Thats why I bought it. They charged my 9 bucks which is reasonalble when compared to fighting conchs & other similar snails IMO.
Thanks Bang guy, so far they seem to be eating algae/detritus. So far So good!
Kyle
:)

escape2thewater

Yes a very long tentacle but hasnt bothered other snails. Putin' a hurting on some algae though! Kinda wierd snails, they sometimes bury themselves in the sand almost completely. Pretty cool guys so far. Thanks for the input everyone.
Kyle
:cool: