snail killed my carpet anemone?

todj2002

my last few post were about my carpet eating my tang and goby.

[hr]
.... anyway my carpet is now gone. this is weird but i think my snail killed it. one morning i found the carpet very very small with one of my snails right over the anomones mouth. it stayed there and i couldnt figure out if the carpet was trying to eat it or what. the carpet was soooo small and deflated i figured death for sure but about 2days after, the snail had moved and it began to inflate some. carpet was showing signs that it might live. the next morning i came out and the snail was over its mouth again. that was the carpets ulitmate demise. it shriveled up to literally almost nothing and began to disinegrate. i think that snail wanted him dead. i kinda did to for killing my tang and goby. i wont get another but i am soon going to get a new goby. can a snail really kill an anemone. i wish i would have taken progression pics.

flower

Anemones shrink up every once in a while...that is normal. They look dead but, I think it is how they poop...they release old water and then re-inflate. The snail was just checking to make sure it wasn't dead...doing its job so to speak.

jackri

It may have already been dieing and the snail is getting some false blame. Just my thoughts.

snakeblitz33

I don't think a snail is the suspect. False blame.
If anything, your anemone was starving or something to begin with. Check your water quality and make sure that you are running smooth.

todj2002

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3136217
I don't think a snail is the suspect. False blame.
If anything, your anemone was starving or something to begin with. Check your water quality and make sure that you are running smooth.
the water quality is good and the carpet was healthy and not starving as i feed it shrimp and it had recently eaten my tang and goby. i have 4 other anemone's and various corals that are all thriving. the snail is large. shell diameter is prolly about 1 1/2 inches at least. the anemone was fine when i went to bed. large as usual, prolly a foot in diameter. next morning was shrunk to nothing with the snail right in the middle. it was wierd and im not saying it was for sure the cause but it sure seemed it. the snail stayed there for a long time. i wasnt sure it was still alive. then it finally moved and carpet was slowly inflating again. next morning the snail was back on the carpet again. right over his mouth again. kicking myself for not taking pics. whatever the reason, kinda glad he is gone.

todj2002

here is a link to some pics of my tank before he died.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/365584/snail-killed-my-carpet-anemone