Snail on toadstool

I

iluvfish

I have a leather toadstool that is closed. The weird thing is that there is a turbo snail on it. Is this okay? Do these toadstools close up often?

bang guy

I don't understand how an Astrea could be happy on any Leather Coral. How sure are you that it's a Turbo?

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I don't understand how an Astrea could be happy on any Leather Coral. How sure are you that it's a Turbo?

Why is that? I see snails on my toadstool all the time . . . granted near the base, but on there none the less. They are not astrea or turbo's though.

bang guy

Wow. Definately a Turbo. :notsure:
That pic changes my perspective on this. Learn something new everyday.
Some snails enjoy eating the slime coating that Leather Corals produce. I did not think any snails in the Astra family did this. Apparently I was wrong :D

rwhite

Bang Guy Wrong!.....It just isnt true, maybe just never seen it, but wrong...c'mon. I saw a limpet yesterday that had a foot on our new toadie, personally didnt like the looks of it so I "disturbed" the limpet with gentle pulling and it went off in the other direction. Now wish I'd gotten a pic, it'd be like beating the "house" if it hasnt been seen before. Just yankin your chain...BangGuy has seemed to be a bit more reserved lately, still with great advice, but different somehow.:)

bang guy

I'm not :)
Limpets are not that closely related to Astrea. I would expect Keyhole Limpets to enjoy scraping off the skin of many types of leathers.

blk822

My snails get on mine to. Also the blue legs get up there too. I think sometimes with low current flow you get alittle algae build up on them at night and the snails and such go lookin for it. I could be very wrong though. But mine also get up there. I worry about the blue legs more though because they spend more time up there, but never any damage, maybe something natural.

rwhite

Cool, man
Maybe it was just me, Bang, definitely didnt mean anything by it, just tryin to lighten the mood a bit. So, you're saying I SHOULD be concerned about the limpet. Should I banish it to the 10g?

bang guy

Probably not. Most Limpets do merely incidental damage to Leather Corals. If you find it causing deep wounds or real damage then I would ban it. Until then the benefit outweights the risk IMO.

how often depends on tank conditions (i.e. current) the more current, the less often it will shed. The less current, the more it will shed. Same goes for duration . . . the more current the less time it will take and vice versa.

razoreqx

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I'm not :)
Limpets are not that closely related to Astrea. I would expect Keyhole Limpets to enjoy scraping off the skin of many types of leathers.

How about a hermit crab enjoying the Limpets?
LOL just kidding.. but man you find hermits in the darnest places..