Snail Question

kdfwr918

Long story short........our tank cycled last week and we decided to add some CUC to the tank....yesterday added some snails and crabs. This morning, I noticed that half the snails were climbing up the sides of the tank and where just hangin at the water line....Is this normal?
parameters:
salinity 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 15
temp 78
thanks

jackri

Mine do that as well... probably just checking their limits on how far they can go.. but is there anything for your clean up crew to eat in a new tank?

kdfwr918

As for something to eat....actually the tank has been running for about 4 weeks....have plenty of algae and diatoms all over the place....took about 3 weeks for the tank to cylce and then we waited a week to put the CUC in.
The kind of snails...i'm not sure.... we went to the not so LFS....about an hour away. We asked for 3 turbos/3astrea snails....Still really new, but I think we got margarita/cerith snails... I will try and post some pics and let you all decide

robertmathern

preditory wheilk hmmm pic 5 looks just like a hitch hicker that came on my rocks. Really small and I only see him about once every 2-3 weeks when he comes out of the rock. Are they good or bad. Or maybe just something not to worrie about

kdfwr918

Update: They are Whelks.....wife called the lfs where we bought them yesterday, before she could finish speaking, the clerk told her to get them out of the tank quickly. Seems like they realized they sold the wrong thing.....oh well, off to the hour away lfs to take them back.

Originally Posted by kdfwr918
http:///forum/post/2917515
Update: They are Whelks.....wife called the lfs where we bought them yesterday, before she could finish speaking, the clerk told her to get them out of the tank quickly. Seems like they realized they sold the wrong thing.....oh well, off to the hour away lfs to take them back.
Are they a prob? What do they do?

dobber1111

Ew. So gross. Just had to comment on the pic.
Anyway,
+1 on the magaritas. I have 2 or 3 of those guys. They are so neat.
As for them hanging at the water line, mostly my smaller Astreas love to hang out at the water line. One loves my glass magnet, which I keep at the right side water line. A couple regularly clean my returns. Don't know if that is normal, nothing bad has ever come of it.