Snails dieing need some help

saltfun

Ok i set up a 7gl to get all my shrooms out of my main tank. I can not get any snails to live. I used new southdown sand and seeded it with a layer of sand out of my fuge. I haved tried 3 times to acclimate snails to the 7gl. everytime they just turn over and die within 5min. I used about 2 gls of water out of my main tank the rest was RO water. All liverock was out of main tank. The only thing that is differnt is that there is carbon running on the little hob filter for the 7. There has never been any carbon run on the main tank. Could this be doing it. I have never run into a problem like this thought i would get some other people input. All corals in the 7 are doing fine.

footbag

How long did the tank cycle for? What are your params?
I am running a 7g minibow and I removed the carbon from the start. Maybe remove that. I can't think of what could be killing the snails.

saltfun

I know they are dead because they are all flip over like 5min after i put them in. All water peramters are good the only thing is a little high is salinity is at .025. The tank has only been set up for 2 weeks but most of the stuff was out of my display tank so i dont think it would cycle.

footbag

Is there any ammonia or nitrite? That salinity wouldn't kill them if they were slowly acclimated. How did you acclimate them?

droshi

Yeah inverts seem to be sensitive to salinity changes, a slow drip acclimation is the best. Is the temp teh same as the main tank? Airstone in there too?
Sometimes snails will curl up for a while in their shells when they are moved, after all it is their only defense mechnism. The best way to tell if they are dead (that I know of) is if you pick up the shell and it smells rancid.
HTH

S

spsaddict

is this a new tank or used? if used was there ever a copper treament for any dises ever used, invers can not handel copper

saltfun

This was a used tank it was used for a tree boa. It was cleaned out real good. I am just going to let the tank sit the way it is now for the next 3 weeks and try agine then. Maybe it is going through a cycle.

S

spsaddict

from myexperiance snail are tougher than given in terms af trate, trites, and amonia.. did you use vianger to clean the tank? if not what was used

saltfun

just water and a new spounges. Washed it out over 3 days and left it sit outside to bake in the sun each day after the wash.

bang guy

Originally posted by Saltfun
just water and a new spounges.

There's your problem. Sponges have a germicide imbedded in them that is really bad for inverts. Especially inverts that scrape the glass with their tongue.

neoreef

Sponges you get at the grocery store or the hardware store come labelled "not for aquarium use". Bacteriacides reside in them, and that's why.
What I cannot figure out, is why my power strip (with attached timer) from the hardware store is labelled the same way???????