Snake's 75g build thread

snakeblitz33

I just moved into a new place and well, new place, new tank. The 110g tall that I was going to set up was just a little too tall to really feel comfortable doing maintenance on it. So, I decided to go for a 75g instead.
The 75g that I purchased new is a "Top Fin" aquarium made by Aqueon. It has clear silicone and a tempered bottom. The side of the tank will be drilled for a glass holes 700gph internal overflow.
The return pump that I have on hand is a Mag Drive 9.5. I will be using this return pump to run the sump as well as a calcium reactor in the near future. I am most likely going to buy an Octopus calcium reactor for a 125g tank.
I also have on order a Typhoon III RO/DI unit with a pressure gauge, ball valves, extra float valve and a new TDS meter. (because I lost my old one in the move.) You can only guess where I bought it from. :X
Choosing a protein skimmer was not easy. I looked at many different brands of protein skimmers in my search, including Tunze, Deltec, Bubble Magus, and Bubble King. None of which were really and truly in my price range. So, I began looking into Octopus skimmers and I had a hard time choosing between the Diablo XS160 and the Diablo XS200. What it came down to was room in my sump, not price. I don't believe I could have fit an octopus XS200 in a 20g long comfortably, and so that is why I chose the 160.
The skimmer was also chosen because Octopus brand skimmers also have their own automatic neck cleaners and they also come with a pre-drilled drain in the skimmate cup that has the optional skimmate locker. I am going to buy both - for efficiency of the protein skimmer. I realize that having an efficient skimmer will also dictate how successful a tank is long term. I have seen too many systems with protein skimmers over on other larger forums on tanks that have long term success. While I will most likely keep using macroalgae as part of my nutrient removal plan, I am mainly going to use it to stabilize night time pH. I like the idea of the skimmate locker mainly because if the cup overflows, it won't dump a bunch of waste back into the tank - it will simply shut off the skimmer. This kind of redundancy is what I like.
Over the course of the next few weeks,... when I get some time, I will start constructing a new stand. The stand that I currently have will fit a 75g, with some modification, but I talked to my wife and we feel like it is better to start new. The new stand will be 32" high, so that you can sit and watch the fish instead of stand. 32" will also give my skimmer enough clearance for the neck cleaner as well as the ability to remove it when necessary. The stand will be constructed of pine. I am going to use a "natural" stain on the pine and sand and seal/gloss it instead of polyurethane. I think a stand with all the piny knots is what I am going to go for. It's simple, easy and sort of has that "country feel" that I like.
There are two problems that I am currently going to have with this system. For one, the location where I am going to put it is right in the middle of my kitchen floor - that separates my kitchen from my living room. The reason for putting it there is because of the weight bearing load on the floor joists has to be at about that point. If I put it on the edge of the trailer, I will have to brace it on the outside and worry about the brace shifting over time. Therefore, I think using the tank as a divider between the two rooms is going to be pretty nice. So, it's not actually the location of the tank that I am so much worried about as not having to trip over an electrical cord on one side of the tank to get into the kitchen.
The electrical line will have to be run to the wall outlet via a cord. The cord will have to be somehow secured to the floor (and I know right now my wife will not allow duct tape. LOL) Another thing is keeping my daughter from someday unplugging my aquarium while I am not looking.
Another concern is how much space I have underneath my new tank. The dimensions of the stand will allow for a 20g long aquarium to fit underneath the tank pretty easily. However, the rest of the space that I have is very limited. Between my electrical work on one side, a calcium reactor, phosphate reactor, carbon reactor and sump - space will be at a premium. I will have to choose my equipment wisely.

snakeblitz33

Please forgive the mess in the kitchen. We just moved and are still figuring out where everything needs to go.
This is the approximate position and place where the tank will sit.

snakeblitz33

I have to also build a canopy for this sucker as well. I am going to be using some leftover lighting systems put together that I have left over from other projects. I have two 175w metal halides that I will be using. I have to buy new sockets and bulbs, but that shouldn't be much of an issue. I also have two 94w PC ballasts and reflectors that I can use that... well, I will most likely use until I can upgrade to a couple of nice LED units once I do some more research. The canopy will also be made of white pine and stained up naturally.
For my stand, I am going with the absolute minimalist approach. I am building the top of the stand out of 2x6 and the rest of the frame with 2x4. I am going to use pocket holes as well as metal braces for everything else. I am going to purchase "cabinet grade wood" and make the doors - and hinge it directly to the frame. The frame will not have a center brace - I believe that the 2x6's should take the main part of the weight off of the middle and bracing the four corners should be sufficient. The end opposite the overflow will be able to open - and most likely I will slide the sump through it. The top of the stand will have a little decorative trim around the top But, for the most part - I want it to look "country" on purpose.
I will most likely start building everything after I get to work on a canopy for a new customer.

snakeblitz33

So, I am thinking more about my electrical work than ever. Water and electricity don't mix well, so I am trying to figure out a plan where I can keep my electrical work well away from water but still have complete access to it.
I am thinking about extending the stand a little bit on the overflow side so that I can partially hide the electrical cords coming from the canopy as well as the overflow pipe. I might as well use that side as a cabinet to hang the controller and the MP40 controllers to the side of one open cabinet. The bottom side of the cabinet can also open up and expose electrical cords. I am thinking about insulating the drain and return lines going through the electrical cabinet on the side - as well as ventilating it. I will have to attach the metal halide ballasts inside the bottom cabinet door - and then have a couple of electrical powerstrips mounted to the inside of that. It's going to be a mess either way. I have to find a place to mount a computer fan or two in the electrical cabinet - but I think all in all, it is going to work out pretty well.

snakeblitz33

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I could really use some feedback.
I think that after classes today, I am going to go to Home Depot and buy some wood for the stand. Like I said in the beginning, it is not going to be fancy by any means. In fact, I doubt it really even looks all that great. I am being very impatient.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread#post_3492008
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I could really use some feedback.
I think that after classes today, I am going to go to Home Depot and buy some wood for the stand. Like I said in the beginning, it is not going to be fancy by any means. In fact, I doubt it really even looks all that great. I am being very impatient.
Nothing wrong with a basic stand. It needs to be functional before attractive. And the quicker you get it done the faster you can work on setting up the tank.

snakeblitz33

Ugh, I don't have access to a truck this afternoon so my stand build will have to be put off for a couple more days. But, that's ok. It gives me time to plan and think. It will also give me time to build a canopy for a new client this week. I guess I'll have to work on that this afternoon instead.
English class is killing me. So much reading to do and not enough time. I forgot how detailed English classes are. I freakin' hate having to memorize new English term vocabulary that I am never going to use again. Oh well, as long as I pass and get through it. My other classes are going pretty well. I got too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it. It looks like this will be a semi-long build. I still have to get my house in order and everything put away.
But, at least I have an RO Unit on order - and my protein skimmer should arrive tomorrow!

sweatervest13

Quote:
English class is killing me. So much reading to do and not enough time. I forgot how detailed English classes are.
You could not pay me to go back to school for classes like this. I feel that a lot of classes taught at universities are never going to be used... They make them mandatory as part of your required classes just to add to the revenue that they collect.
But maybe that's why my writing and grammar is so bad?? LOL.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread#post_3492027
You could not pay me to go back to school for classes like this. I feel that a lot of classes taught at universities are never going to be used... They make them mandatory as part of your required classes just to add to the revenue that they collect.
But maybe that's why my writing and grammar is so bad?? LOL.

Speaking as an English grad.......you're absolutely right.

Seriously, I LOVED my classes. But I'm a book freak, I love to read, I love to talk about what I've read, and I love to write. HOWEVER I am well aware that much of this is knowledge that I just won't need ever again.
For instance, my workday this morning involved answering emails, telling a creditor to (in a nice way) take a trip down the river Styx, and putting together an advertising timeline plan for some mall signs that are going up in Jersey.
How does that in any way relate to my college thesis regarding sexual qualities and inequalities in Asian-American fiction? Not one bit, I tell you. But I'll tell you what those classes do manage to accomplish: they teach the young mind to think
. They teach kids to question, to be objective, and they challenge the students to come up with new ways of looking at a problem. From that point of view, they're essential classes.
For older students, they can be boring bits of doldrum that just have to be slogged through to get to your final goal....that piece of paper with the gold star and the "Good Job!" note signed by the Dean.

snakeblitz33

I want my gold star. :D
I'm not itching about the English class, really. I find it pretty easy - and sometimes even find my professor pretty funny because he is trying to get the class to participate in a conversation about the poem or piece and no one really wants to speak up except for me. It's an easy course - just a lot of reading. Besides, I don't have much time to read right now. I have to get through my other classes, my work, and my side job...
Oh,... and set up this dang aquarium!!!

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread#post_3492032
I want my gold star. :D
I'm not itching about the English class, really. I find it pretty easy - and sometimes even find my professor pretty funny because he is trying to get the class to participate in a conversation about the poem or piece and no one really wants to speak up except for me.
Now, THAT is one of the reasons I quite enjoyed being an "older" student. You and I are around the same age, and as 30-something old fogeys, we've lost a certain fear of being NOTICED in a class. It helps that the professors are usually close to our age anyway. Our comments become more of a conversation between semi-equals, rather than the traditional teacher-student paradigm that freshmen and sophomores usually identify with.
Translation: I didn't give a flying monkey whether the teacher agreed with me or not; the point was to discuss and defend opinions. LOL. I'm willing to bet you're much the same way in that regard.
I actually miss college. Can someone pay me to go back and do it again? I promise I won't ogle the 19 year olds. Too much.

snakeblitz33

I hate writing an opinion on a subjective paper and being told that my opinion "wasn't the one I was looking for." ... Yeah, that happened to me a few years ago. I've learned my place - and don't venture outside the box when it comes to English anymore. Whatever the professors opinion is is what I go with these days. More important than debating what an author is saying is actually getting a passing grade.
My therapist actually suggested that I set up this tank and take some time out for myself and focus on something that I really like to do ... just to keep my sanity. I guess I'm not going to argue with him.
I haven't gotten much done - I put the overflow up and out of the way for the moment and I put the glass hole bit into the drill driver. That's about as much as I can do right now.

S

smallreef

Its looking good for as much time as you've had, lol...
I just had to finish 2 english classes last semester and I feel exactly the same... Im an Accounting major... why the heck do I need MORE english classes, lol but being one of 3 older people in the class did have its advantages...

novahobbies

I am so happy for you, man. I know you guys have been through some rough patches, and all I can say is you've done a fantastic job "keepin' it together." You deserve this little mental reward.
People who aren't aquarium addicts just don't GET how relaxing this hobby can be for the rest of us. I'm not talking about the finished product (although that's a big part). I'm talking about the building, the planning, the maintenance.....heck, even cleaning the tank is part of the therapy. This tank is gonna be good for you, I can tell.
SO. **rubs hands together** Fish List???

snakeblitz33

Thanks man.
My wife decided for me that she wants to keep the two tomato clowns and the bicolor blenny that we already have. So, I have to find fish that will go with them. I was thinking about a tang that would go with them - a yellow tang, mimic tang or kole tang. I don't know which one I really want yet. Other then that, I wouldn't mind a couple of smaller wrasses.
I might just say that my tomato clowns died in the move and end up taking them back to the fish store. I don't truly like them anyhow - and they are only taking up a bioload that would be better suited for something else. I guess I am just tired of clownfish. lol

novahobbies

I hear ya. I laid down the "no clown" rule when we set up the 110 this time. If I wanted my arms to be hairless, I'd shave 'em. Don't need a fish pecking at me every time I put my arm in the tank. Although....I wouldn't lie about it if I were you. It'll come back at ya eventually. Just ask nicely, explain why they're such evil buggers, and offer to get any other replacement fish she wants that will fit in the tank.
I got lucky, Michelle didn't like the clowns any more than I did back when we had 'em. She was all on board with the new clownless policy.
As for tangs, can I make a couple more suggestions in your choice list? White-tail bristletooth, and two-spot bristletooth. Both are small Ctenochaetus fish, and the white tail doesn't seem to be too common in our tanks, so it would be a cool focal point.
A Mccullochi Dottyback or a Dilectis dottyback would be cool too, and also not seen often. The Mccullochi is pricey, though. :-/