Snake's 75g build thread

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/20#post_3492274
Sounds awesome man! I'm holding you to it. lol
I have a buddy named Harry at Harry's frags... he has a lot of excellent quality SPS corals that are actually pretty cheap and I know that his SPS corals are nudi, AEFW, and Bug free. (as far as I can tell). I'll be ordering, most likely, the majority of my frags from him.
I like the Profilux II controller, but I don't. It's interface is... outdated. I would much rather an Apex unit, but I have to work with what I got. Perhaps if my Profilux doesn't work out the way that I want it to, I will go to a more "user friendly" controller.
Now that things are going pretty well with my finances I will actually be able to enjoy the hobby and get back into it even more. I am really excited about this transition in my life.
Harry is AWESOME and a sweetheart!!!!!

snakeblitz33

Todays progress...
I figured out where I am going to put the metal halide ballasts and where I need to mount the computer fans and the electrical work. YAY! All I had to do was... build the stand.
Voala!

I have a 15 3/4"x44.75" inside of the stand to work with. The stand is 32" tall, and will be half an inch taller when I add a piece of plywood on the bottom of it.
If you care to notice, there aren't any screws that appear on the outside of the stand at all... thats because I used all pocket holes. Each board, besides the long "arms" have six pocket holes each. Yeah, that was not fun to do, but necessary. I also wood glued every board in place before screwing it into place. So,... once the glue dries overnight,... this stand should need no further bracing. I am going to go ahead and bring it home with me after I get the top and bottom trim on. After it is in place and I get everything running, I will have to put doors and everything on it. Another factor to consider is that my daughter will be mobile soon, so I will have to somehow make my stand child-proof. Probably will have to put a lock on the doors.
The doors that I am going to put on it is going to be made of birch plywood. The doors will also cover up a lot of the actual stand as well. I am seriously considering a side cabinet too,... to hide the overflow and the cords coming from the lights. It would be safer if I did build a side cabinet... just because Emma is growing up so quickly.
Unfortunately, this build is going to take a little while. I have to drill the tank itself, install the plumbing, order a couple of rainbow loclines, re-work my sump to include a mechanical filtration area, modify it also to be able to hold a large skimmer effectively. I am still debating if I want to use my 20g high as the sump yet or not. I have 26" of clearance to work with... and 32" if I go all the way to the bottom of the underneath of the tank. The only problem I can see at this point with using the 20g tall - is clearance to drain the skimmate cup into the skimmate locker. But, by using a shorter sump, I will be able to (most likely) have room for the calcium reactor and CO2 bottle.
As I said in the beginning of my post,... I figured out where I am going to put the electrical work, I just had to build it to really get a good idea of what needed to be done. I am going to take a 1 1/4" drill bit and drill a few holes through the 2x6's. The main power line is going to closely follow the floor and go through the bottom wood. The power strip will be mounted on the opposite side of the sump. I am going to plug in both of my digital timers on the opposite side of the sump as well, next to the main power supply unit. The metal halide ballasts will be screwed in place on the top of the stand - and out of the way. Most of the cords will be held up and away from the sump. On the overflow side of the tank, I will mount my controller and the Vortech MP40 controllers inside the side cabinet.
I am not going to do door open lights, but rather going to install a couple of ceramic sockets into the underneath of the stand, and when I need light, I can just pull the cord and turn them off when I am done. I think this is a pretty simple fix to not being able to see well under most stands. After I get most of the electrical work installed and make sure the tank is running properly, I will enclose it properly. The best thing about this stand and this tank is that maintenance can be done from either side of the stand.
MY RO Unit is doing well. My container is leaking a little bit... the container that the RO unit fills.... something is wrong with the gasket. I am going to have to figure out another container that has a spigot on the front of it. I would hate to have to cut up another one of my 5g containers just to have that one leak like the other one.

snakeblitz33

I really thought about my stand this time and really wanted to put in a little flair that made my stand my own. I used 2x6 premium cut wood - so that there shouldn't be any warps and the wood wasn't split or show any bag spots. I chose the best wood out of what they had as well. I will be standing this stand down as well - getting rid of some of the marks on the wood and what-not. I know pine doesn't really do that good of a job staining, but I am going to try my hand at it anyway - I am thinking of staining the stand "Gunstock" because that's pretty much what I have leftover from a different project. I also have red mahogany left over as well - it's going to be a toss up. I know pine can stain - but getting the whole stand the same color would be difficult. But, I know that I want some kind of color on it, I just don't want to paint it. I think that the trim work and the birch plywood doors on it is going to cover the frame up pretty well anyway.
Another note about the stand... I have four more boards that I can potentially add to the inside seams of the stand on each corner. A simple 2x2 is all it is. I don't know if I want to add it or not. I think I might go ahead and just pocket hole the upright boards together in a couple of places and be done with it.
Also... I chose 32" tall for a reason. The reason is... I want to be able to sit down and view my tank without having to stand up at all. I want to be able to sit back and enjoy. Traditionally I always built all of my stands at 42", but I am getting tired of standing up to look at my tanks. lol. So, 32" tall is perfect for me. 28" - 30" may be perfect for you. Just make sure that your skimmer and accessories are going to fit in the height underneath your stand before you start building.
AND ANOTHER THING... On the side that doesn't have computer fans (opposite the overflow pipe) I am considering covering that area with a vent... like for air conditioners. Maybe try to find one that is black or paint it black to match my handles.
THE CANOPY...
Is going to be built out of the cheapest pine I can find as well. I am going to make it to where both sides of the canopy can open ... and is long enough to cover part of the side cabinet as well. The cabinet will also contain at least one fan, and on one side of it I am probably also going to install a vent cover. Most likely, on the fans, I will use some filter floss or acrylic quilting pads to keep a whole lot of dust out of the tank. (As a side note... I am going to put a few cotton balls and some carbon in the Diablo protein skimmers air intake to keep the noise down and the carbon to help keep some airborne pollutants from entering the tank.) It will also be stained the same color as my stand.
It's going to take a while to really get it all completely done, but it is soooo going to be worth it. XD

snakeblitz33

I am really itching to buy another piece of equipment right now - a calcium reactor and CO2 unit, but I know that I have to do a lot more other essential things before I invest in something like that. I guess I am just ready to get the thing started and I am jumping to the end before concentrating on the beginning.
I know that I need to take what money I have an put it into finishing my stand and building a canopy and working on the electrical work and sump. I also know that I need to buy new bulbs and sockets for my metal halides. I don't really know if I want to put $140 into new bulbs or just wait and save up for an LED unit or what.
Another thing that I am willing to invest in is an MP40 or two. I'll start with one and see how that goes and then go to two if necessary.
This tank is going to be minimal live rock because I want to be able to look through the kitchen and into the living room through the tank. I also want to be able to have a lot more room for my SPS corals to grow. I could probably buy some marco concrete to make a good shape for my rock work. I'll just have to look at it all and figure it out.
What would you guys do? Probably invest in getting the rest of the stand built and canopy built before you start to buy new toys, eh? Would you all invest in the metal halides to start out with and then upgrade to LEDs later once the price of the Vegas come down a bit or do you think it would be better to just use my lights off of my 20g tank until I can upgrade to LEDs... Probably won't really start adding any high light corals until I get my calcium reactor in anyways.
Good news is that I can put off getting an MP40 for a little longer. A friend of mine gave me a Koralia 8. Thanks. ;)

novahobbies

I would strongly suggest you build a side cabinet as you mentioned....between the water proximity and the inquisitive little hands, I think a lockable unit for the power access is probably a VERY good idea.

novahobbies

Hey, FYI I have a couple old Koralia 3's that you can use if you want 'em. I know it's not near the same as a vortech, but it would do ya for a spell until you get the cash saved up. They're not the evolution style though. I was going to gift them to a closer friend, but they're yours if you want them.

snakeblitz33

So, I think I have decided to go ahead and use the 20g long. It's available, and I think I have solved my problem with the diablo's skimmer output being way too high. It's a simple t-off mod. So... I'm good.
I figured out the layout of the underneath of my stand as well. I just added up and did a quick sketchup of the entire left side of the cabinet to the left of the sump and I have the room to fit an Octopus calcium reactor 125 with a 10 pound CO2 bottle and an Octopus Skimmate locker. Yeah, I am going all octopus brand on this deal as far as filtration goes.
ANYWAYS,... enough about equipment for the time being!!!

reefkprz

well enough about equipment how about the tank itself, as in, are you going ssb dsb BB, how much LR is there a fuge in your sump...... what are your plans for the tank SPS softies, mixed? come on give with the info... LOL

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/40#post_3492506
well enough about equipment how about the tank itself, as in, are you going ssb dsb BB, how much LR is there a fuge in your sump...... what are your plans for the tank SPS softies, mixed? come on give with the info... LOL
I am actually going to put sand in the tank this time. lol. I like barebottom tanks, especially for SPS tanks, but I am going to try to get back to a more "natural" look. I have 90 pounds of aragonite that I can use for this tank, which should give me about 2" of sandbed throughout. I forget how small the sand actually is, and if it is oolite, I may actually go ahead and buy a more course sand.
I don't know how many actual pounds of live rock I am going to use, to be honest. I have quite a bit in my 20g system already - probably about 70 pounds. I don't want to throw any of it out, so I will most likely end up using all of it. My aquascape will be a two hills look - and going to try for "bonsai" style, but the rocks that I have aren't quite in the shapes that I would need for that. I may buy some marcorocks mortar and try to put it all together the way that I want it to. I would like to make something that looks like a reef is being grown on top of a dead tabling acropora field. Kind of like a "rebirth of a reef." almost.
I don't know if I am going to have room for a refugium in my sump yet. I'm going to just have to start building on it and figure out if there is room at all. I know I want the overflow pipe to drain into a mechanical and chemical filtration chamber first. I'm tired of siphoning out my sump, and if I can catch most of the detritus before it enters my sump and becomes "mulm" I'll be happy. Second chamber should be my protein skimmer,... and to be honest, I may make the output of the skimmer dump right back over the top of the mechanical filtration to keep bubbles out of the rest of the sump and re-filter some of the water. If I have room left, I'll reserve it for a refugium with caulerpa. I have some caulerpa growing on a rock already, so I will just go ahead and use it.
THE TANK ITSELF...
Is going to be a fully SPS dominated system with a couple of LPS mixed in. My wife likes the movement of some LPS corals like frogspawn and hammer corals and likes to watch open brains feed and so forth,... so I gotta make her happy too.
SPS list...
I'm going to go heavy on branching and tabling corals and just do a few montiporas. I'm going to have to be pretty selective as well. Acroporas, pociliopora, milipora, stylophora, seriatopora, some montipora. I'm not going to get into all the wild and crazy names of all the SPS out there - but what I am mainly looking for is a splash of various colors... blues, greens, reds, yellows, pinks, oranges, and purples.

snakeblitz33

Livestock as far as fish and inverts is concerned is not really written in stone just yet.
I really like yellow tangs, but I hate that they are so common in the hobby. But, if I like them, I guess I should get one, right? lol. I also like kole tangs - I think I can do without the bristletooth tang because of the price difference between a kole and it... it's just a red streak that you're paying for. lol.
I was wanting to get a couple of clown gobies to watch them nest in the SPS colonies. I wanted to get a neon goby or two just to watch clean the tangs. I was thinking about some kind of really bright red flasher wrasse... something that would go well in a 75g and work with the rest of the fish. Though, a blue star leopard wrasse is pretty as well. I think to top it off, I would also go with a pygmy angel or a potters angel. Yeah, I know... careful putting angels in coral tanks... lol I'm just considering it for the time being. I may need to consider getting a burrowing goby to kinda help keep the sandbed stirred up a little bit.
As for inverts - besides corals - I was thinking of a couple of cleaner shrimp, a couple of peppermint shrimp, maybe a cucumber to help keep the sand clean, ... your usual assortment of clean up crew, and anything else I find interesting. I would like to get a few reef safe nudibranchs as well - some really awesome looking ones that I know will do well long term. Perhaps down the line when the tank is extremely mature, I would like to get a blue linkia or a red linkia starfish,... or, through research, find another starfish that does really well in well established tanks.

snakeblitz33

I know that sandbeds that are too clean can be troublesome for some creatures, but I want to try to keep it at that "optimal" level of clean/dirty. I know a sandsifting starfish may be out of the question in that case. I'm thinking of using cleaner clams, nassarius snails, a conch and a cucumber or two to help keep the sand pretty clean. Does anyone have any suggestions?

S

smallreef

WOW... thats alot of sand cleaners....
I have snails and thats it for my sandbed in my 50g... I think you may be overdoing it....
other than that :) everything sounds good

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/40#post_3492525
I have snails and thats it for my sandbed in my 50g... I think you may be overdoing it....
I'm inclined to agree, but I have a very shallow sandbed, all I use in my 56g horse tank are snails too....the nassarius snails dig in and move the sand. The clams are next to useless from what I have been getting from the folks on the site. I never had a conch, but they sound pretty awesome and different.
You said a sand sifting star was out of the question.....Wouldn't a cucumber do the same thing a sand sifting star would? I'm not sure so I'm asking.

S

smallreef

I have about 3 inches of sand (didnt know where my jawfish was going to set up house, lol) so I have about 6 of the nassarius snails... they do fairly well...and of course about 6 other misc. margarita, trochus and such...
no other sand sifters and my sand (except one dead spot) is fairly clean looking :)

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/40#post_3492525
The cleaner clams... as stated... don't do much at all. I'm only talking about three or four nassarius snails for the entire tank and one small cucumber just to watch. lol I'm going to buy and most likely have about three more large Mexican turbo's. (I already have 3 in my 20g.) the peppermints are there to take care of a couple of aiptasia that I have on the rock in my tank already. As well as to clean up any left over uneaten food.
I deliberately oversized my skimmer because I want to try a new feeding method kind of like for NPS corals - where you put food (rods, coral frenzy, phytoplankton) in an autodoser and have it empty little by little all day long. At least, that's for the corals and filter feeders and some fish. I assume that if it is good for filter feeders, it should be pretty good to have an abundance of food in the water column for corals as well. I'm kind of thinking on the line of Reefkprz on this one - where I want to see if feeding a decent amount of food over a long period of time would help balance out the tank and increase growth and color of corals and fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/40#post_3492526
I'm inclined to agree, but I have a very shallow sandbed, all I use in my 56g horse tank are snails too....the nassarius snails dig in and move the sand. The clams are next to useless from what I have been getting from the folks on the site. I never had a conch, but they sound pretty awesome and different.
You said a sand sifting star was out of the question.....Wouldn't a cucumber do the same thing a sand sifting star would? I'm not sure so I'm asking.
I think a small conch would be at the very least fun to watch, and so would a cucumber. Since I will be autodosing/feeding my tank the sandbed should have an abundance of filter feeders and cleaners, right? A cucumber tries to extract detritus and nutrients from the sandbed. I know that in my little 20g tank, I had to siphon out detritus at least once every two weeks with an airline tube to prevent a whole lot of build up. I'm sure that if I feed enough - my inverts should have enough food as well as be able to turn the sandbed over. I guess all in all, I will have to watch it and adjust accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef
http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/40#post_3492529
I have about 3 inches of sand (didnt know where my jawfish was going to set up house, lol) so I have about 6 of the nassarius snails... they do fairly well...and of course about 6 other misc. margarita, trochus and such...
no other sand sifters and my sand (except one dead spot) is fairly clean looking :)
I may forgo the sand sifting goby. I don't really want the sand to be kicked up on any corals anyways. Although, I will add a wrasse or two - and they are frequent sand burrowers/sleepers. So... yeah.
On a side note, I may keep my current 20g tank running as a quarantine tank for all of the incoming corals and fish until I really get a lot of what I want situated with the new tank.

snakeblitz33

By the way, to anyone reading through this thread I wanted to make a note on my carpentry work.
I am not a professional carpenter, although I am pretty good. I do not do carpentry for a living. However, I can offer tips and advice where applicable. Another thing that I wanted to add was that when you start cutting up your wood, always use a square... and indeed, check that the pre-cut ends of your wood is square. Never assume that your wood is already square straight out from the store. You will have a skewed stand. Also, ALWAYS check your wood at the store to make sure it is as straight as absolutely possible. Look down the long end of the wood and see if it is straight or not. Wood that is warped, skewed, cupped or in any way curved should not be purchased. If possible, run your wood through a plainer before using it for your aquarium stand. I do not plain my wood simply because I don't have that piece of equipment. If I did, trust me, it would be.
Also, when building an aquarium stand, always use wood glue in every joint. EVERY joint. Screws are great for holding things together, but if you want a truly tight seal, use wood glue. Buy and use a pocket hole jig kit. A single jig is approximately $20 at your local hardware store. There is no reason not to use one. A kit costs anywhere from $35-45 and includes additional things like a nice clamp to use as well as some pocket hole plugs and a nice container to put it in. Please - learn how to use a pocket hole jig to improve your woodworking skills and make your furniture more professional.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/40#post_3492330
(As a side note... I am going to put a few cotton balls and some carbon in the Diablo protein skimmers air intake to keep the noise down and the carbon to help keep some airborne pollutants from entering the tank.) It will also be stained the same color as my stand.
I didn't know you could do that, won't that clog it up?

snakeblitz33

It will eventually collect dust from the surrounding air inside your home. The cotton should be replaced with your regular maintenance. The carbon should be replaced every 60 days. The thing about the carbon is that it removes airborn pollutants so that it won't put it into the water while the skimmer is running,... same with the dust. Not only is it keeping dust from entering the skimmer (it would be skimmed out anyways) but it is also removing pollutants and bacterial cysts and mold spores that may enter the tank as well. It should be maintained. It also cuts down on the noise of the air drawing into the skimmer.