Snake's 75g build thread

novahobbies

I'm already saving for a pocket hole jig. Don't know when I'm gonna use it, but hey. New Toy.....er, I mean Tool.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/60#post_3492542
I'm already saving for a pocket hole jig. Don't know when I'm gonna use it, but hey. New Toy.....er, I mean Tool.

Nice. Yeah, they really do come in handy. I am thoroughly enjoying the heck out of mine. lol I put a few more screws in my stand this afternoon to hold the "legs" together a little better. I also drilled some holes into the wood for electrical work. I also dug up some old electrical wiring that I had thrown away from another customers canopy refinish and I am going to use those electrical cords for my light sockets. :D
I also thought of something that I think I am really going to like... I am going to drill a 2" hole into the side of the stand in the 2x6 (on the side) so that I can fit the overflow through... and drill a smaller hole to fit the return pipe through next to it. In this way, I am conserving a lot of space without truly compromising the integrity of the stand. What really holds the whole tank up is the legs. One side of the top of the stand having a hole in it really isn't going to affect the structural integrity of the entire stand.
Today I cut up some oak plywood for the doors, the top and the bottom. It increased the overall height of the stand by 1.5"... but it's not a huge difference so much so that I am unsatisfied with it. It will stabilize the stand a little better and stiffen it up some more. It will also give the tank a lot more level plain to sit on. I am not going to be putting the tank on styrofoam afterall... I think I am just going to worry about getting it completely level when I sit it in place.
I am going to have to buy four more pieces of wood for the top and bottom trim and I am going to have to go to the store to pick up a couple of computer fans and a vent for the side of the stand.
Tomorrow I may have some more time to route the edges of the plywood for the doors and buy the rest of the trim needed to finish this little project. Lets hope so! I am hoping to be ready to stain tomorrow. lol!!!! I am sooo ready to start this thing.

snakeblitz33

This is a side shot... the image actually needs to be turned 90D to the right. That hole in the bottom is enough to fit an electrical cord through. I thought that this would look a lot better when the stand is set up than if the cord had to go over the top of the frame. It's also in a corner because the sump is going to take up most of that space...and the cord has to have somewhere to go once it is in the stand.

snakeblitz33

Not really a whole lot to see here... these are just the doors that are going to be sanded and routed tomorrow. These doors measure 24" by 20" and are plenty to fit a 20g long sump through.
I am going to run the door edges through a belt sander first to even them up before I route them - so that they have a better, smoother finish. I purposely cut them 1/8" more then what I needed them for this purpose.
Pardon the trash can in the photo - it's a shop trash can. LOL!

snakeblitz33

Of course, I had to post a pic of what the stand is looking like overall. Putting a top and bottom on it did increase the total height to 33.5" but I'm ok with that. It's still not tall enough where you have to stand at it. I think I will still be able to sit down and look at it.
The top and bottom still isn't tacked on there just yet. I didn't have enough time to really do that today. I may have time to do it tomorrow. I am hoping that I will have time tomorrow to get it stained so that it can be drying this next week.
---
The canopy that I am building for that customer has to be done by this next Friday. I hate that I didn't have enough trim to finish the job today and get it to him tomorrow. But, that's life. I am sending him pictures of my progress as it continues - and so far he really likes what he is seeing. He doesn't really mind how long the build is taking - and wants it done right. I love customers like that. :D

snakeblitz33

By the way, I am using some "red mahogany" stain left over from the last stain job that I had to do. I am using some old hinges from a different project as well. I kind of like the "antique" look to the hinges.
If I don't like the hinges I'll buy new ones. I have to purchase four handles for the doors and I also have to look for how I am going to lock this sucker up as well. I think a couple of cabinet locks should work, but I don't know how I am going to cut the 2x6 to have a lip on the inside of the door. Biscuit cutter? a simple drill?
I would really like to use a couple of cabinet locks instead of some god aweful kind of hinge and lock. If it comes down to that, I'll do it - but it's not my first choice.
I may install the vents and the electrical work before I even get it to my house. If I can do it in my "workshop" I might be able to spot flaws and have tools and an environment in which I can drill new holes without having to worry about dust and debris.

snakeblitz33

Well... hello there!
I just wanted to give a quick update on what I accomplished today.
not much.
I went to walmart and bought a few things for my stand...

GFCI Unit, electrical tape, two ceramic pull string sockets, two bulbs, some electrical pins to keep the cords out of the way and two door holders to keep the doors pulled inwards. Oh... and handles for the doors.

S

smallreef

LoLooks like your gearing up to put some good time into it!
having everything you need when you start makes it so much easier..not to mention much less apt to stop in the middle because you forgot a part..

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/60#post_3492737
LoLooks like your gearing up to put some good time into it!
having everything you need when you start makes it so much easier..not to mention much less apt to stop in the middle because you forgot a part..
Yeah, I've been doing this for a little while. I know that it's best to get all my ducks in a row before I really get down to the nitty gritty.
I am having a hard time deciding where I am going to put all of my electrical work. The way I have it right now - all of my powerstrips will be elevated and placed on the top and sides of the top frame of the stand. But, I am hoping that none of it will interfere with the calcium reactor, CO2 tank and the skimmate locker.
I have enough money leftover to finish the stand and get it into my house and plumbed together and started now. The only thing I don't have money for right now is the canopy and halide bulbs and the halide sockets that I need.
I'm wondering if I should consider just saving up for an LED fixture and run my little 24" T5 unit on the big display tank for a little light until I can get a vega. ... I guess I need to make a list of the things that I need in order of most important to least important to keep my budget on track for this tank.
1. Everything to finish the stand and get it into my home by this next weekend.
2. Sump re-done, cleaned, and resiliconed.
3. Two heaters of about the same size and a place for them in the sump. I think this one is fairly obvious.
4. Side cabinet. I think this one is important mainly because my daughter is fixing to become mobile.
5. Canopy... once I decide what lighting system I am going with.
6. Lighting system - Vegas are preferred. If not, then I might look at the classifieds to find another suitable LED fixture for a decent price.
Once I get a decent lighting system, and I know that I can keep up with my water quality I will most likely start adding more SPS corals at this point.
7. Octopus Automatic Neck cleaner
8. Octopus Skimmate locker.
I think that if I can keep my skimmer pretty well automated and cleaned I will have more success keeping SPS corals.
9. Automatic top off reservoir and unit.
10. Two little fishies kalk stirrer.
I am going to see if by adding a kalk stirrer and an automatic top off doser if at this point it may be just good enough to keep until I can actually invest in a decent calcium reactor with the footprint that I need.
11. Octopus calcium reactor 125
12. 10lb CO2 bottle
13. Milwalkee regulator and solenoid.
14. Milwalkee pH probe to control reactor.
I am going to buy the Ca reactor and it's components all in one lump sum.
Since calcium and alkalinity demands really aren't that high when dealing with a new tank with very few corals, I will put the calcium reactor on the back burner and focus on immediate needs.
I know that I may have a few things on my christmas list coming up. lol!
My wife and I do this thing where we have a list of things that we make for each other and they are fairly large purchases and we buy them for each other and surprise each other with a gift out of the blue. It keeps things interesting. I may put down the neck cleaner or something on the list. lol.

snakeblitz33

Of course, I am going to be stocking the tank as well as I am going along. I'll post new additions as they arrive. LOL.
For me, the build is very important, but then maintaining it and observing it and experimenting with it is the most fun part of the hobby for me.
I think when I become a biology teacher and have my own classroom, I will add a small tank in the classroom (with permission, I guess) so that I may create a few lessons around it. If you think about it, a saltwater aquarium has a lot of biology involved. Photosynthesis, respiration, climate/evaporation, You can make slides of algae and bacteria, study anaerobic zones, the nitrogen cycle, the carbon cycle, ... yeah. LOL. Yes, I am a nerd.

snakeblitz33

SO,...
I couldn't go to sleep tonight early... so I got up and did this...

It's not as clean as when I bought it, but it is clean enough to be a sump. I'm happy with it. I am going to put it back out on the front porch and leak test the sucker before I start to order glass for it. I guess I am going to order it from a glass shop this time. Since this tank is going to be with me for quite a while - at least until I can start on a much larger tank like a 180g when I get permanently settled down into an actual house.

flower

LOL...You did a good job. Some advice from the school of hard knocks....never do anything to your tank in the middle of the night. I have worked night shift for 20+ years and that's when I am most awake, unfortunately the stores are not and if you bust something...it can't be fixed until the next day....or Monday O.O. I'm glad you found something that had nothing living in it to mess with, but I figured I would say my warning just in case another midnight urge hits you.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/60#post_3492771
LOL...You did a good job. Some advice from the school of hard knocks....never do anything to your tank in the middle of the night. I have worked night shift for 20+ years and that's when I am most awake, unfortunately the stores are not and if you bust something...it can't be fixed until the next day....or Monday O.O. I'm glad you found something that had nothing living in it to mess with, but I figured I would say my warning just in case another midnight urge hits you.
Thanks Flower!
Yeah, I know how that goes. It seemed like all of the leaks happened in my fish store on a Friday night around 1AM. LOL
I have depression, so insomnia kinda goes hand in hand. I haven't been taking my medicine lately because of the whole moving and putting everything away thing. I also have been having to stay up later at night to get all of my school work done once my daughter goes to sleep. So, it kinda helps. Most of the time the only way I can get anything done is in the middle of the night. lol.
I have vodka dosed my 20g nano at 1AM before... and then I couldn't sleep. So, I figured that I probably dont' need to do that again.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/60#post_3492793
Thanks Flower!
Yeah, I know how that goes. It seemed like all of the leaks happened in my fish store on a Friday night around 1AM. LOL
I have depression, so insomnia kinda goes hand in hand. I haven't been taking my medicine lately because of the whole moving and putting everything away thing. I also have been having to stay up later at night to get all of my school work done once my daughter goes to sleep. So, it kinda helps. Most of the time the only way I can get anything done is in the middle of the night. lol.
I have vodka dosed my 20g nano at 1AM before... and then I couldn't sleep. So, I figured that I probably dont' need to do that again.
Sorry to hear depression has reared it's ugly head again. LOL...paint the bathroom, watch a movie, or take up sewing cloths for the baby...just leave the fish tank alone.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/60#post_3492804
Sorry to hear depression has reared it's ugly head again. LOL...paint the bathroom, watch a movie, or take up sewing cloths for the baby...just leave the fish tank alone.

Eh, I'm dealing with it through medication and therapy. I should be taking my sleeping pills, but I have too much to get done. I also have anxiety disorders as well,... which is a whole 'nother animal.
I think I have enough experience with tanks and stores and what-not to know what I'm doing, but thanks for your concern. :D

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/60#post_3492813
Eh, I'm dealing with it through medication and therapy. I should be taking my sleeping pills, but I have too much to get done. I also have anxiety disorders as well,... which is a whole 'nother animal.
I think I have enough experience with tanks and stores and what-not to know what I'm doing, but thanks for your concern. :D
LOL...I know you know what you are doing...I was referring to stuff breaking, a power head that was running great.. take it apart to clean and it stops working FOREVER...the skimmer that just needed a good cleaning that for some reason afterwards won't produce bubbles or overflowing bubbles or leaking ( I hate my coralife skimmer to this day) .... the tiny gaskit that went down the drain..O.O .the screw that drops and no matter how hard you look it's just gone... and you don't have another in the house that size to save your life...that kind of thing. They all happened to me.
LOL...After one of those kind of nights...I needed some anxiety meds. I thought fish tanks were supposed to help calm us..

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/60#post_3492829
LOL...I know you know what you are doing...I was referring to stuff breaking, a power head that was running great.. take it apart to clean and it stops working FOREVER...the skimmer that just needed a good cleaning that for some reason afterwards won't produce bubbles or overflowing bubbles or leaking ( I hate my coralife skimmer to this day) .... the tiny gaskit that went down the drain..O.O .the screw that drops and no matter how hard you look it's just gone... and you don't have another in the house that size to save your life...that kind of thing. They all happened to me.
LOL...After one of those kind of nights...I needed some anxiety meds. I thought fish tanks were supposed to help calm us..

Thankfully, my electrical system will be controlled by my controller that is linked to the internet / my phone. I can turn things on and off from my iPhone. lol. Also, I have an in-sump cone skimmer - so if it overflows right now, it will just overflow directly into the sump. Once I can install an automatic neck cleaner and a skimmate locker - the skimmate locker automatically shuts the skimmer off when the locker is full... another redundancy. The calcium reactor will have its own pH controller, but it will also be double checked by the pH probe in the actual aquarium hooked up to my controller. If the calcium reactors pH probe fails, my controllers pH probe will detect an anomoly and shut the calcium reactor off. I like redundancy. Of course, all of the stuff that you have listed has happened to me in the past - and I am taking those experiences and learning from them and improving upon them with this build.
My fish tanks do keep me relaxed and calm. I enjoy the research and time I put in to them. I enjoy watching my tank and experimenting with it. I like talking to you and all of the folks on this site. It makes me happy to know that there is someone out there just as obsessed about this hobby as I am. XD

snakeblitz33

A minor update for tonight.

I got the doors on both sides on. As you can see, the doors on both sides are not lining up properly. They are at the same level, but the way the column is set, the door won't lay flat. I will have to come up with a solution. I hope 2Quills or Acrylic can come on and give me some ideas.

I also got the top and bottom trim on it. I decided to use a Roman Ogee bit to cut a pattern in the plywood. I have it all sanded down now. I am going to do some more sanding and shaping on the trim work tomorrow after I get out of class and then hopefully I will get it stained tomorrow afternoon.

snakeblitz33

It's accessible from both the front and the back. So - I can get into the stand at any angle that I wish.

I can't wait to see some stain on this sucker tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I can get it all polyurethaned / laquered up this week and in my new place by this weekend. XD

S

smallreef

It looks good... are you sure that door isnt warped?? thas what it looks like to me... may try and flip it around and the top will touch but the bottom will be stuck out OR attach a strip of wood (kinda like a kitchen cabinet) to the back of that door to close the gap inbetween AND it will pull the top flat with the weight...