Snake's comeback - 55g mixed reef

snakeblitz33

Will do, Richard. I'll take a photo tomorrow of them.

They are doing fine Emma is growing up so fast. Heathers work this year is challenging but exciting at her teaching job. I am becoming an even more skilled taxidermist and my career is fixing to take off. I take over the shop in two more years. :)

siptang

Wait.... your little girl's name is Emma??

Man... me and you are more alike then i thought.

I now have a little girl name Emma and my wife is a teacher as well!!

I'm happy to hear that your business is taking off!! Proud of you bud!

snakeblitz33

I have to flense a 16ft anaconda this morning. Not so much fun, but the money is there.

This afternoon I am going to work on that stand a bit more. I have a good idea of what it should look like in the end. I am borrowing a router and painting it today.

foodshape

Anybody done a reality show about your line of work yet? Just a thought. (Think of the MONEY). Seeing some of the other occupations they make shows out of this one's a shoo-in!

The guys who fix up cars and antiques for the Pawn Stars all got their own shows. Seems only fair the guy who stuffs the snakes and gators for the swamp guys should get his also...

snakeblitz33

Foodshape, I don't think so. I don't like the sound of my recorded voice, nor my southern accent. It wouldn't be much to watch, I wouldn't think. It's all commonplace to me.

Bang, $100/ft. Do you like jig saw puzzles? Lol. I have to put all the bones back together. Thankfully, they gave me the hide too, so I'll have it tanned and sell it to the highest bidder. Or I could stuff it and sell it as taxidermy. Which do you think fetches a higher price? I would think a tanned hide.

Eric, pics to follow.

snakeblitz33

Painted the first coat on this morning. I got to go flense another section of snake this afternoon and then I'll put a coat of brown paint on it. I should have it in the house by this evening.

I have a friend coming over to help. He is also going to help me put braces under the trailer to hold extra weight.

Not much more I can do on it after that until I can get some money to fix the RO unit.

snakeblitz33

I took a good look at the 55g tank and there is a sticker on the bottom that says "all panels tempered"

My heart sank.

I think I am going to keep it still. My plans though have changed. No longer going to do a bean animal overflow, going to get an eshopps external overflow and a Maggie muffler. :( it's not ideal, but I will work with what I got.

foodshape

I don't like the sound of my recorded voice, nor my southern accent. It wouldn't be much to watch, I wouldn't think.
Lol, you don't need to be entertaining or funny... that's what Chumlee and Jose type sidekicks are for (the producers' formula would of course require you have those as these shows are now stuffed with scripted 'humour' and personality conflicts).

Anyhow, on to more serious matters... re the tank - don't settle and regret! Not if this setup is going to be somewhere where quiet may be important... You're putting so much time & effort into this project otherwise, and a new 55 you'd drill yourself cannot be that expensive in the overall scheme of it... Jmho.

snakeblitz33

I havnt really put a lot of effort into this.

I'm fine with an eshopps external overflow. I've had them before. I can put a Maggie muffler on it to make it quiet.

snakeblitz33

I think we get caught up in a lot of the new equipment craze these days as hobbyists. I started this hobby almost nine years ago and have had many tanks over that period of time. The last tank I wanted to overcomplicate and it ended up that the money I should have invested in was in RO/DI equipment/filters. I know that now - and I'm going to do every single thing that I can to avoid that mistake again.

This tank I'm going to keep it simple, with the exception of a Jebao wave maker powerhead and kalkwasser stirrer. The rest is standard - filter sock, ATO, refugium, simple skimmer, and water changes. This hobby can be for people who don't want "cutting edge"... and I am finding myself sticking more and more to my old tried and true methods...

But, like you said, you get what you pay for... and my budget only stretches so far, else I would probably have your tank. :p