snapping sounds

newtankman

I fell asleep on the sofa last night and was awakened by a snapping sound coming from my tank. The tank was dark and there were two or three snaps in a row.
Any thoughts?

newtankman

I was afraid of that.

It is defiantly coming from the main tank. But I have not seen anything yet, and have not lost any of my cleaning crew that I can tell. I have noted a hole leading up under some rock about 1” in diameter, is that a sign?

How can I be sure? Any way to get him to come out?

earlybird

Google Mantis Trap and see what comes up. Worst case scenario is you having to remove all your rock if you can't determine what rock he's in. Keep counting your inverts and try to get a look at your tank at night with a red light.

earlybird

Originally Posted by newtankman
If it is a Mantis, will it harm star fish?
Don't think anything is safe with a mantis including your glass aquarium.

newtankman

Originally Posted by earlybird
Will they break the glass?

renogaw

some will yes.
LFS not so L to me had a mantis in with a damsel and a huge snail in their tank. my goodness, i now understand why people would keep the monsters. it was half the length of a cigar and about 3/4" diameter. absolutely beautiful creature.

larryndana

Originally Posted by jessica47421
my heater did that in my qt tank it was to low and had water in it.
may want to look into getting a submersible heater.

newtankman

I’m hoping to stake out the tank tonight with a red light to see if I can see anything. I have seen videos of them and that clicking sound they make is the same that I am hearing at night.
I will not mind having one; I just don’t want it in my reef tank.
Can you bait them out of hiding?

Originally Posted by earlybird
A hitchhiker mantis would NOT be able to break glass. Unless you missed a 6-7" mantis moving around in your tank. Many of your fish ARE safe with the mantis, he will go for the cleanupcrew first since #1 it's what smasher go for, crustaceans, and #2 because they are ALOT easier to get.
Try to look for a "mound" of shells, after they get something they will take the animal out and discard the shell, mostly in the same place. To bait him out, it's alot easier if you know where his den is. There's also the "leave some food on the substrate" thing and just wait for him to come out. Be patient and use the light to find him first. Goodluck!

newtankman

Nothing yet, its like one of them old war movie clichés “their out there, somewhere, just waiting to spring their trap”.

But that was the first time I had viewed my tank under red light, real cool. It was like some kind of alien landscape, with aliens!

steve24

umm, i heard that clownfish also make a clicking noise at night ?
thats why i wasn`t to worried when i heard a clicking noise comming from my tank at night ...
steve

blaze98

I have found out that my hermit crabs tend to make a clicking sound when their shells hit the glass at night.