So I bought a gun... Few interesting facts about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/200#post_3509317
If you shoot in self defense then make sure you finish the job.
See, this is why I don't get along with most gun people. And i'm not picking on your in particular, because I have heard varying statements that all mean the same thing "finish the job", "shoot to kill", "don't let him get up", etc etc.
Look, as a means of self defense, all I'm trying to do is get the attacker off me, and make sure my life is no longer in danger. I don't get why people take that as KILL KILL KILL. I'll be honest, if someone came after me and I put two or three rounds in him, and that got him on the floor and incapacitated until help arrived, I'm just fine with that. Given the choice, I think I would much rather not live with someone else's death on my conscience if I don't absolutely 100% have to.
Am I wrong in my thinking here?

2quills

FYI That's what they teach you in the concealed weapons class. God forbid you shoot someone in self defense and end up paying their medical bills for life because you couldnt accomplish rule #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/200#post_3509341
FYI That's what they teach you in the concealed weapons class. God forbid you shoot someone in self defense and end up paying their medical bills for life because you couldnt accomplish rule #1.
Why would I pay anyone's medical bills for life if I was acting in self defense?
So, per your CCW training "rule #1", you are told to make sure if you shoot, you shoot to kill? Like, if I shoot a guy and get him on the ground, I'm supposed to put another ten rounds in his skull as he lay there? I haven't started my CCW training till next month, but that sounds like faulty (and highly immoral) logic to me.

2quills

It may sound illogical to you but yes in some states even if someone is on your property illegally and you shoot them they can turn around and sue you. How that for logic?

reefraff

You aim to kill and keep shooting until the threat is over. If that means you hit them once in the chest and they drop their weapon stop shooting. If they live great, if not their bad. I've known a few folks who taught classes and they taught that basic thing. Shoot center mass, don't try to John Wayne cowboy it and wing em'. Take a kill shot. Castle law or not if witnesses see you execute someone after the threat is gone you will be prosecuted. My personal feelings on it is you shoot as long as the weapon is in their possession. If it's someone unarmed moving toward you shoot until they stop.
I understand the whole finish the job attitude because of our screwed up court system but I'd rather defend myself against a frivolous injury suit than a murder rap.

2quills

Bottom line is that you're not supposed to draw your weapon unless you intend to use it. And if you use it then you are told to shoot untill the threat is over, agreed. So if you shoot the weapon then you're obviousy under the impression that your life is in serious danger. If you dont want to accept that responsibilty then why get a gun?
Who's to say an assailant wont come back for revenge after they are released from prison? This isn't disney land we live in here. Good peoples lives get ruined everyday because of loopholes in our system that some criminals seek to take full advantage of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/200#post_3509354
Bottom line is that you're not supposed to draw your weapon unless you intend to use it. And if you use it then you are told to shoot untill the threat is over, agreed. So if you shoot the weapon then you're obviousy under the impression that your life is in serious danger. If you dont want to accept that responsibilty then why get a gun?
Who's to say an assailant wont come back for revenge after they are released from prison? This isn't disney land we live in here. Good peoples lives get ruined everyday because of loopholes in our system that some criminals seek to take full advantage of.
Dude, you better watch what you say on the internet. God forbid you have to shoot someone someday and you kill them... their attorney would love to see a public forum post where you say "who's to say an assailant won't come back for revenge after they are released from prison".

2quills

Who's going to hire an attorny if they're dead? Besides, I'd be doind what the law instructed me to do so I'm not to concerned. Crimson, you act like I want to shoot somebody. You need to get over your false assumptions of everyone else and look at yourself. Im not the one who just went out and purchased a gun on a whim, my man.

darthtang aw

See, this is why I don't get along with most gun people.  And i'm not picking on your in particular, because I have heard varying statements that all mean the same thing "finish the job", "shoot to kill", "don't let him get up", etc etc. 
Look, as a means of self defense, all I'm trying to do is get the attacker off me, and make sure my life is no longer in danger.  I don't get why people take that as KILL KILL KILL.  I'll be honest, if someone came after me and I put two or three rounds in him, and that got him on the floor and incapacitated until help arrived, I'm just fine with that. Given the choice, I think I would much rather not live with someone else's death on my conscience if I don't absolutely 100% have to.
Am I wrong in my thinking here?
I was taught two center mass if that doesn't stop the assailant then one to the head. This is standard issue Police training as well. I NEVER want to have to use my gun. However if I ever HAVE to, this is the protocol I follow if they stop after the first two...the situation is done. There have been many situations where someone shot a criminal in self defense then ended up paying for medical bills, salary lost...etc...because the criminal did survive. Depends on your state however if this is a worry. Inside my home, no worries. Outside my home...it is possible for a lawsuit to stick. This is why many say shoot to kill. Because society on many occasions has deemed the criminal's loss higher than the threat that was reflected on to the "victim". Some people automatically side with whoever got shot and see them as the victim and thus sympathize with them and ignore the FACT they were engaging in criminal activity that put them in that situation.

zman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/200#post_3509367
I was taught two center mass if that doesn't stop the assailant then one to the head. This is standard issue Police training as well. I NEVER want to have to use my gun. However if I ever HAVE to, this is the protocol I follow if they stop after the first two...the situation is done. There have been many situations where someone shot a criminal in self defense then ended up paying for medical bills, salary lost...etc...because the criminal did survive. Depends on your state however if this is a worry. Inside my home, no worries. Outside my home...it is possible for a lawsuit to stick. This is why many say shoot to kill. Because society on many occasions has deemed the criminal's loss higher than the threat that was reflected on to the "victim". Some people automatically side with whoever got shot and see them as the victim and thus sympathize with them and ignore the FACT they were engaging in criminal activity that put them in that situation.
There is a saying:
Honestly Officer it was self-defense, if you don’t believe me, you can ask the deceased…

reefraff

This was a suggestion that came straight from a LEO. If you have to shoot someone fire another round right above a door. There is a thick header there so the bullet wont go though and kill someone a few blocks over and you can claim you fired a warning shot first. This was from a state without a make my day law.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/200#post_3509384
This was a suggestion that came straight from a LEO. If you have to shoot someone fire another round right above a door. There is a thick header there so the bullet wont go though and kill someone a few blocks over and you can claim you fired a warning shot first. This was from a state without a make my day law.
Ofcorse, because as many LEO's are, they understand how the laws works in that regard. Criminals have loop holes as do the good guys. :)
I'm not saying that I agree with what was told to me by a law enforcement official once, but...
I remember a situation back when I was about 19. Of buddy of mine was hanging out over at the house and we decided to make quick late night run to the store. To make a long story short, there was a young male outside, in my buddies car trying to steal his radio. Well, I ran back into the house to grab one of my katana's lol. But in the mean time my buddy fired off the panic alarm to his car and scared the guy off, although he still got away with the radio and some cd's. So we filed a report obviously and the cops came over and they were being pretty cool with us. I mentioned how I ran in the house to grab a weapon and told them that I could have easily gotten one of the guns from the safe but I didn't. Then the one cop pretty much looked me dead in the face and said "you should have. You should have killed the POS and left him in the ditch, we would have came by and picked him up".
I was a little bit shocked when I heard that to say the least because it actually sounded pretty racist considering the circumstances. But I know that if I would have went out there and stuff hit the fan that those cops would have favored for me no doubt in my mind.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/200#post_3509367
I'm with you Darth......2 center mass.....Taught that a long time ago, and that's how I'd proceed, and paying his medical bills.....Well.....2 center mass, there's only 1 side of the story if I had to commit to firing the weapon and dead guys can't speak.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/200#post_3509347
You aim to kill and keep shooting until the threat is over. If that means you hit them once in the chest and they drop their weapon stop shooting. If they live great, if not their bad. I've known a few folks who taught classes and they taught that basic thing. Shoot center mass, don't try to John Wayne cowboy it and wing em'. Take a kill shot. Castle law or not if witnesses see you execute someone after the threat is gone you will be prosecuted. My personal feelings on it is you shoot as long as the weapon is in their possession. If it's someone unarmed moving toward you shoot until they stop.
I understand the whole finish the job attitude because of our screwed up court system but I'd rather defend myself against a frivolous injury suit than a murder rap.