So I bought a gun... Few interesting facts about that...

darthtang aw

This must be going around in the NRA and gun-lover sites.  A Facebook "friend" posted the same thing the other day.
You do realize the NRA is only about 4.3 million members. That means most gun owners aren't even a member of the NRA. Why do you keep gravitating everything back to the NRA? They are no more responsible for gun ownership and the feelings towards it than Planned parenthood is for abortion and the amount of abortions each year.

dragonzim

I'll just leave this here
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c4#/video/crime/2013/01/15/dnt-armed-homeowner-confronts-thief.ksat

dragonzim

Yesterday I took my new shotgun to a sporting clay range with a few of my buddies. We had 5 guns between 5 guys and shot off around 600 rounds. It was a nice day so there were probably about 75 or so other people there all taking advantage of the warm weather to be outside. So, 75 or so people, each most likely firing around 100 rounds each and even with all those guns together in one place not a single one went and shot anybody on its own...

Yesterday I went to three different sporting goods stores and two WalMarts and not one of them had any 9mm practice rounds in stock. FIVE stores, FIVE sold out. You think the government is behind the Sandy Hook shooting?!? I think the Gun lobby is!

reefraff

No ammo anywhere right now at a decent price. I scored some deals on reloading equipment over the weekend.

acrylic51

What do you guys think....I've been eyeing another toy for carry.....Springfield 3.8 XDm compact.....It's a 9mm, but also considering the 40

reefraff

Yeah, I'd like to know I am going to knock down what I hit first round, or at least stop them. Nines are fun for plinking

darthtang aw

Walmart is not ordering much in the way of ammunition currently if any at all. some districts have stopped ordering all together. until they see where the gun bans talks are going. Once again our government slows down commerce just by discussing crap...lol.
At what distance are we discussing stopping power of a 9mm? With the right ammunition the 9mm is just fine for stopping power. This is why the police use it. Their goal when drawing the gun is to STOP the assailant. i own a .45 and a 9mm. The 9mm. is my go to. It isnt as bulky, and holds more rounds. 17 instead of 10. If I cant stop someone by the 17th round, I have bigger problems than the caliber size of my weapon.

darthtang aw

All the cops I know went to 40's long ago.
Maybe it is a municipality decision? The officers around here use the 9mm, a few the .45, but 9mm is more common.

reefraff

Hmmm. Dunno. This spans from Montana, Wyoming to California and Az but it's possible. I know I had a brother in law who was a deputy sheriff and their department wouldn't let them carry semi autos until the late 80's so I suppose an individual department might be resistant to certain things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/180#post_3509264
Walmart is not ordering much in the way of ammunition currently if any at all. some districts have stopped ordering all together. until they see where the gun bans talks are going. Once again our government slows down commerce just by discussing crap...lol.
At what distance are we discussing stopping power of a 9mm? With the right ammunition the 9mm is just fine for stopping power. This is why the police use it. Their goal when drawing the gun is to STOP the assailant. i own a .45 and a 9mm. The 9mm. is my go to. It isnt as bulky, and holds more rounds. 17 instead of 10. If I cant stop someone by the 17th round, I have bigger problems than the caliber size of my weapon.
As a new person to the gun world, I never understood the whole "9mm won't stop someone" theory. When I asked around, about 70% of the local police I talked to, and a few ex and current military people all said that either a .40 or a 9mm would be fine for self defense. I mean, when I shoot someone, I just want the imminent threat of danger to myself to be over... I don't need to blow their body into a million pieces.