so i got a clam..

S

siptang

Ofcourse, I forgot to add that in there.
What do you think though Joe, does it make sense? I hate preaching things that are false so I want to really know about these things before i tell anyone wring information.

S

siptang

No, about what I wrote earlier about clams requiring less light as they grow bigger.
I want your opinions since you have been doing this far longer then I have.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/389990/so-i-got-a-clam/20#post_3451783
No, about what I wrote earlier about clams requiring less light as they grow bigger.
I want your opinions since you have been doing this far longer then I have.
I think that it is possible that they require less light as they grow larger and reposition themselves in deeper water in the ocean. Reasons may be that they need less energy for growth and in deeper water they may find it easier to supplement their photosynthetic needs with a greater abundance of plankton.

btldreef

Here's basically how it works, at least what I've went through in raising/breeding them:
Under 1" : PC lighting, the mantle is EXTREMELY fragile
1-2": Can handle a more intense light such as a T5, but again, mantle is still very fragile
2-3": can handle longer periods of intense lighting from a T5, or low levels from halide. Handle is still fragile
3-4": good time to introduce higher intensity lighting such as MH or LED. Caution needed with a good LED fixture, especially if it contains optics which can burn a mantle, especially if the clam is still on the smaller side
4+": bake those bad boys!
With larger clams in the home aquarium, you have better luck with "placing them anywhere" so to speak. They can better manage different lighting than a smaller clam can. That being said, a Maxima (which requires more light than a Derasa) will thrive under more intense lighting and will grow quicker.
I have a 7" Maxima right now that has grown much quicker under my LED's with optics and being placed at the top of the tank than it did under my metal halides a year ago.

S

siptang

Question,
First of all, my parameters are at perfect.
1.024 salinity, 8.3ph and 0 across the board and 460 on calcium and 9 on alk.
My clam has shut itself and won't open. It will occasionally open maybe 1/2 inch then shut itself whenever fish comes by.
So far from my watching and my wife's observation, no fish is nipping on it.
This started to happen last week when my uv pump made a mess in my dt by putting all the crap from my sump.
Should I be worried?

S

siptang

Can you see if the intake syphon of the clam is impacted?
Joe, I'm completely lost on what you said.

meowzer

I so wanted to stay out of this

BUT....below is a clam.....the larger opening on the left is the INTAKE siphon......the other is the exhalant.......make sure it looks okay

S

siptang

Lol thanks lois. I cant check though because it won't open enough for me to see it.

iamjack

Richard your clam opened yesterday and it look like it is going to live. Did you find out what my clam is? I don't know if we have same kind because it looks different and different colors.

S

siptang

Honestly I don't know and I will post pics here later today if you send it to me via text.
Yes, after 15g water change, my clam did open up a bit but I still can't inspect the mantles and the things that you guys wrote earlier...

shycat98

so clam's are OK to put in tanks I just got 15 oysters for my two 55gal tanks and 12 cleaner clams I have them in a back up tank at this time
I was told to be careful ? the snails i got from the seller are doing great
I am unsure to put them in as I had a lady tell me no they will just die and mess up your tanks?
again there are 15 oysters and 12 clams farm raised in Calf great feedback on this seller
I do have a scooter Blinnie
and a flames hawk angle and tang and 3 cardinals in one tank few crabs and snails
a leather coral and a red carpet
the other tank I have a lawnmower Bennie 4 clown ,

Anemone

lour wrasse and a fox face in the other
please advise what I should do these are not the fancy looking clams

S

siptang

wow that's whole lot of oysters and cleaner clams...
Why did you get so many? I'm not sure if they will survive because of your livestock. Flame angel will most likely to nip as well as your wrasse. Keep your eye on them.