so i got ick.....kinda long

wifishman1

well, i just started up my 58 rr and also have a 29bc (which fish are in). ok to the problem the 29 is cycled and everything is good para wise. i have also in the 29 blue hermits, cs,snails. i want to know if i can cycle the iverts with the 58. if not what should i do with them while the fish are being treated...going to try hypo for the first time. i ordered a refracto yesterday. the 58rr has 50# lr and 70# ls with ro water. also the 29 has sand should i take that out??? im only going to use the 29 tank to qt/treat fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by wifishman1
http:///forum/post/2474849
well, i just started up my 58 rr and also have a 29bc (which fish are in). ok to the problem the 29 is cycled and everything is good para wise. i have also in the 29 blue hermits, cs,snails. i want to know if i can cycle the iverts with the 58. if not what should i do with them while the fish are being treated...going to try hypo for the first time. i ordered a refracto yesterday. the 58rr has 50# lr and 70# ls with ro water. also the 29 has sand should i take that out??? im only going to use the 29 tank to qt/treat fish.
Take the sand out of the 29. You can add it to the 58, any parasites will be dead long before the fish go into that tank. If the 58 has not cycled yet then don't add the inverts to it. They will not survive the cycle. You can put them in a bucket with tank water, a heater, and a small power head. They will not cause a cycle. You can add some of the sand to the bucket though and a piece of the rock from the 29 to make them more comfortable.

wifishman1

ok well how do i go about starting the hypo? after the refracto gets here. i do small water changes until salinity is 1.009 correct? then how long do i leave it for ? when do i bring it back up???

al mc

Make small frequent water changes to bring SG down to 1.009 over 2 days. Fish stay in hypo for 3 weeks after the last signs of Ich are seen. then 4-6 days to slowly raise the salinity back to 1.025-1.026 range.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2475233
what would be a small wc in a 29 bc???? a gallon every 4-5 hrs? about???
That is something that you will have to feel out. Pull out about 7 gallons of water then dribble fresh water in. You want to be halfway down to 1.009 by the end of the first day. Be sure to check the ph of the water that you are adding. Check it before you start. If your fresh water has a low ph then buffer a batch of it ahead of time. The PH tends to drop when the SG is lowered because salt mixes have a buffer in them. The reduced amount of salt results in a reduced amount of buffer.

marinekewl

AL that is totally wrong to tell that guy that when you dont know for sure.. you want to keep the salt level at 1.015 the lowest ro get rid of the ich and after the ich is gone you take it back up to aBOUT 1.020 ANY HIGHER THEN THAT IS NOT GOOD.. THANK YOU.. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE FISHES

wifishman1

AL that is totally wrong to tell that guy that when you dont know for sure.. you want to keep the salt level at 1.015 the lowest ro get rid of the ich and after the ich is gone you take it back up to aBOUT 1.020 ANY HIGHER THEN THAT IS NOT GOOD.. THANK YOU.. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE FISHES

so then how do you put ur treated fish into a reef (mine) thats at a sal of 1.025?????

m0nk

Originally Posted by marinekewl
http:///forum/post/2480287
Actually, this is all wrong. I've done hypo many times at this point and have no idea where you're getting your facts.
What Al Mac said is right on the money.

marinekewl

Wrong! I Get My Advice From A 15 Year Expert Guy From The Fish Store.. Well My Ich On Fish Is All Gone.. And Before You Defend Someone On Such A Lie I Would Stfu

Ya wow where do you get this stuff? You cant even keep inverts at 1.020. I just came out of hypo on a lion fish and i did exactly what is plastered all over this site and everything went perfect. Search the net or read a book and you'll see how wrong you are...

wifishman1

ok so at 6:00 pm ct i started to lower salinity. by tomm i should have it down to1.009 correct???? then keep it there for 3 weeks then 1 week of watching then bring salinity back up???? any info would be great this is my first hypo.

1journeyman

Marinekewl, welcome to the site. Please be more respectful to the community.
That said, your info, thus far, is quite incorrect.
Marine ich needs to be treated using Hypo where you lower SG below 1.009.
for inverts and a natural reef tank you need SG at 1.026. 1.020 will kill inverts.

al mc

Marinekewl...Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Monk/Journey ..thank you for your responses/back up.
Wifishman1...Looking good. Three weeks there at 1.009. Watch your pH...less salt in the water=less buffering capacity. So, it can change rapidly. Personally, I tested pH twice daily while in hypo.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2481785
ok so at 6:00 pm ct i started to lower salinity. by tomm i should have it down to1.009 correct???? then keep it there for 3 weeks then 1 week of watching then bring salinity back up???? any info would be great this is my first hypo.
When did you start this? It should take about 48 hrs. to bring the sg down to 1.009. Once it is down to 1.009 keep an eye on your fish. When the last sign of ich is gone, begin to count three weeks. How is it going so far?

wifishman1

well were almost down to 1.009 im at about 1.012 started at 6:00 pm yesterday. so one more 1 gal change and should be there.