So I stopped drinking soda like 3 years ago...

darthtang aw

I used to have at least two Route 44 Sonic sodas a day.  Then I got the soda stream machine and rather burnt myself out on it.  I now buy their energy drink and diet energy drink mixes only. 
we own one of those.....energy drink is ok. honestly...i am just to lazy to mix them up now days......easier just to buy one...plus i get my red bulls for a dollar five per can.
darth (lazy) Tang

reefraff

I do a lot of straight carbonated water through the soda stream. Do crystal light in them too, And a lot of diet soda

S

smartorl

Have you guys carbonated wine yet? You really have to clean the machine after but well worth it!

cipher43

I haven't drank soda of any kind for around a year now. I stopped when i decided to do the HCG diet. I did try it once since then and it tasted like pure sugar mixed with battery acid(or what i think battery acid would taste like). Any more I drink water or cold brew sugarless tea/coffee once in a long time. Only way i will drink it again is if it is cut with Captain or Jack lol

novahobbies

I wish I could kick the stuff. I know I'm addicted. I drink Coke, Dr Pepper (fave), and Mountain Dew. I know how bad it is for me, and I've tried to cut it out before. I keep it down to a couple times a week, but even that is too much, I know.
Ironically, I firmly believe that diet sodas are actually much worse for you than the regular crap.

shogun323

No soda for me. Just water, coffee, beer and scotch. I do indulge in Moster Energy Rehabs sometimes. They are a magical cure for the hangover.

novahobbies

True. Although I suppose if you think about, "high fructose corn syrup" is pretty artificial in and of itself. Not exactly something that oozes from corn in nature, ya know.
You know my favorite soda of all time? Passover Coke. Since we don't eat anything that germinates, (very broad guideline, but too involved to get into here), we don't eat or drink anything with corn derivatives in it. Coca-Cola comes out with a Kosher for Passover version that has old-fashioned sugar instead of corn syrup, and I have to tell you it's probably the best tasting battery acid you'll ever imbibe.
....but this is a thread about not drinking this swill, so I'll shut up about it.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/389350/so-i-stopped-drinking-soda-like-3-years-ago/20#post_3440919
True. Although I suppose if you think about, "high fructose corn syrup" is pretty artificial in and of itself. Not exactly something that oozes from corn in nature, ya know.
You know my favorite soda of all time? Passover Coke. Since we don't eat anything that germinates, (very broad guideline, but too involved to get into here), we don't eat or drink anything with corn derivatives in it. Coca-Cola comes out with a Kosher for Passover version that has old-fashioned sugar instead of corn syrup, and I have to tell you it's probably the best tasting battery acid you'll ever imbibe.
....but this is a thread about not
drinking this swill, so I'll shut up about it.
Yep... or HFCS..... also not good. Same with artificial and "natural" flavors <- not natural at all!

darthtang aw

Have you guys carbonated wine yet?  You really have to clean the machine after but well worth it!
any guy drinking wine deserves to be kicked in his mangina.
or an active victim of bum fights.
darth (beer) Tang
p.s. shogun stopped by?
p.p.s.s. isnt champagne carbonated wine? wouldnt it be easier to just by cheap champagne

shogun323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/389350/so-i-stopped-drinking-soda-like-3-years-ago/20#post_3440951
any guy drinking wine deserves to be kicked in his mangina.
or an active victim of bum fights.
darth (beer) Tang
p.s. shogun stopped by?
p.p.s.s. isnt champagne carbonated wine? wouldnt it be easier to just by cheap champagne
Hahhah I still linger buddy. My wife and I actually heard a guy ask the bartender at Tilted Kilt last night for "another round merlot." If that phrase ever comes out of my mouth at a sports bar, please shoot me!!!!

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/389350/so-i-stopped-drinking-soda-like-3-years-ago#post_3440731
This is a great recipe:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/ginger_ale_ag0.htm
As a long time beermeadwine maker, that has to be the most ridiculous technique for making a fermentedcarbonated beverage I've ever seen. You never want to leave that much yeast in the finished product as it will leave a massive amount of horrible tasting sediment in the bottle. I've also NEVER seen anyone making a beverage with bakers yeast. There are MUCH better yeasts to use available at any homebrew shop or online. You also do not generally want to ferment and carbonate at the same time. They are also not showing any type of sanitation techniques. You can get horribly sick if you dont properly sanitize all equipment that comes in contact with whatever it is you are brewing.

stdreb27

I'm drinking a Doctor Pepper, right now. It has to be good for you. Or else a doctor wouldn't have put his name on it...

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim http:///t/389350/so-i-stopped-drinking-soda-like-3-years-ago/20#post_3441068
As a long time beermeadwine maker, that has to be the most ridiculous technique for making a fermentedcarbonated beverage I've ever seen. You never want to leave that much yeast in the finished product as it will leave a massive amount of horrible tasting sediment in the bottle. I've also NEVER seen anyone making a beverage with bakers yeast. There are MUCH better yeasts to use available at any homebrew shop or online. You also do not generally want to ferment and carbonate at the same time. They are also not showing any type of sanitation techniques. You can get horribly sick if you dont properly sanitize all equipment that comes in contact with whatever it is you are brewing.
I appreciate your input....
What other yeasts would you recommend?
Any other tips?

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/389350/so-i-stopped-drinking-soda-like-3-years-ago/20#post_3441091
I appreciate your input....
What other yeasts would you recommend?
Any other tips?
Most importantly, sanitize everything that is going to come in contact with whatever you are making. This includes the container your mixing in, the spoons you use, the bottles, caps... Everything! A capful of bleach to a gallon of water is good, but you have to make sure that everything air dries before you use it since you dont want any bleach residue getting in anything. There is a great product available in brew shops called B-Brite, which uses oxygen to sanitize rather than a chlorine, and you dont have to wait for things to dry before use. As far as the yeast goes, I would use something like a champagne yeast, but there are many different types out there. If you've got a homebrew shop in your area, check it out. I would also do my main fermenting in a plastic brewing bucket, then transfer over to a glass carboy (big jug) with a siphon tube to leave all the dead yeast sediment behind. When you are ready to bottle you should be able to mix in a small batch of corn sugar into the soda and when you bottle it the remaining living yeast will go to work on the sugar and carbonate it the same way you would if you were bottling beer.

dragonzim

Not advocating this company, but a kit like this will give you everything you need to get yourself started to make 5 gallons at a time of your favorite tasty beverage..
http://www.homebrewing.com/equipment/true-brew-gold-homebrew-kit.php