SO mad!!!!!!

bellanavis

Where I live, there is a college like 2 blocks away, and they are buying up all the houses, they want to get university status, and we might move, and we won't be able to get the 380 out of the house, its too big, it won't fit out any of the doors, or the windows. If I still had my land rover, I would crash through the front of the house, to get it out, I am so mad. Adam will never buy another tak now.

mfp1016

Perhaps you should pursue a sitcom-esque scheme to try to convince the college that all of those houses are Haunted, Haunted!!! (say the last part in a ghoulish voice please)

pontius

how does buying houses help a school obtain university status?
are you saying they're tearing down the houses to build the campus bigger? I don't get it.
if they're buying the house because they want the land and not the house, then just make it a part of the contract that you're going to tear out enough of a wall to get the tank out. or either add the full cost of the tank into the price.
every person I've ever known who has had their house bought out by the state gets WELL ABOVE what the house is actually worth, so you shouldn't have a problem getting either the tank or the price of the tank.

jennythebugg

what are the dimensions of the tank because yoiu may be able to remove the door with the king studs and be able to fit it through that way alot of trouble but worth it if you want to keep your tank

2cold2fish

Buy a window a little bigger than your tank, and replace one of your current windows with the bigger one, just after removing the tank. Going bigger with a window is pretty easy, both inside and out.

bellanavis

The tank is way bigger then the windows, we had to get it in the house through the hole where the fireplace went. The college wants the houses for their employees, at least that is what they are tellig us, and so far they own all but 5 houses on the block, and they are all filled with their employees, so I beleive them. Their offers have not been that great so far, we have the biggest house on the block, with the addition and all, I guess we will see. Adam will not buy another tank, that the problem, even if they gave us tons of money. About them getting university status, they want to build more dorms around here, but so far they said not on this block.

jennythebugg

hey i had a thought...how about if you had the back door widened for french doors you could prolly get it out that way

rylan1

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
The tank is way bigger then the windows, we had to get it in the house through the hole where the fireplace went. The college wants the houses for their employees, at least that is what they are tellig us, and so far they own all but 5 houses on the block, and they are all filled with their employees, so I beleive them. Their offers have not been that great so far, we have the biggest house on the block, with the addition and all, I guess we will see. Adam will not buy another tank, that the problem, even if they gave us tons of money. About them getting university status, they want to build more dorms around here, but so far they said not on this block.
This is interesting. Is the tank filled right now? If so, what do you have in it and what do you plan to do with it?
My second comment is I doubt the university would want it... I also think they would buy the house regardless of a little damage. You also have some leverage with the house being the last house and the biggest.
Last question... is this eminent domain or is the university just asking to buy the house? If not I would make them repair the window... door... or put french doors in... or whatever...as a condition of buying the home.

bellanavis

We have french doors out back, but its in the living room, and we can't get it to the deck doors, it won't fit through the kitchen walkway. They are just buying it, its not that domane thingy, sorry, I can't spell. The tank is empty still, the 125 is still up.

dlauber

Is there any possible way to take the tank apart?
I have no idea what they use to hold a tank that size together, or if tanks that size must be one peice. I would bet if theres some kind of adhesive holding it together theres some kind of chemical that can break it.
And is it acrylic or glass?

maxalmon

It's really easy to take out a wall or doorway or cut a hole in the side of a house for that matter. Contact a drywall person and have them do a side job. All you do is bust a hole in the drywall, check to see where the electrical is and then knock out a path, throw some new 2x4's up or patches next to the cut studs depending on how much you have to cut, hang some drywall, tape and finish it, then paint and your done. Most people are really scared of tearing holes in walls, it's really easy and not that expensive to fix.

renogaw

don't hold out too long...when they built the football field/parking lot for the uconn huskies, 2 people held out and didn't want to sell. they now have worthless houses, surrounded by 10' chainlink fenses with barbed wire, and forsale signs for the past 3 years...

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by renogaw
don't hold out too long...when they built the football field/parking lot for the uconn huskies, 2 people held out and didn't want to sell. they now have worthless houses, surrounded by 10' chainlink fenses with barbed wire, and forsale signs for the past 3 years...
those people need to have a for RENT sign and not a for sale....a house right on campus man that is money for parking and rent