So need to start this cycle RIGHT..have some ?'s

frozenguy

ok so its been about 50 hours from when i put lr in and 20 hours from when i put the scallop in. are you talking a couple days from when i put in the lr/ls? scallop? or now? and why? cause i saw ammonia activity yesterday.. none anymore.. and possible nitrite activity but none anymore. and 10 nitrates.. so how much longer should i leave that scallop in there? would it being frozen for 2 years prior to being put into the tank have anything to do with its ability to start a cycle??
i'm sorry for all the questions.. just a lot of this stuff i'm wondering.. i'm having trouble interpreting what my params mean exactly

bang guy

I wouldn't put a whole dead Scallop in a tank I was cycling so you'll have to ask one of the "Shrimp Method" people. I'm not a fan of that method so I'd rather let them help you with it.

frozenguy

sorry nm then..
i just figured that it was sorta similar.. the breakdown of dead material begining a cycle.. I didn't know that it was that drastic of a factor (scallop/shrimp as opposed to die off from the lr/ls) in interpreting parameters during a cycle. or even telling me if its in a cycle or what..

bang guy

Originally Posted by frozenguy
sorry nm then..
i just figured that it was sorta similar.. the breakdown of dead material begining a cycle.. I didn't know that it was that drastic of a factor (scallop/shrimp as opposed to die off from the lr/ls) in interpreting parameters during a cycle. or even telling me if its in a cycle or what..
In my experience a shrimp, scallop, piece of fish skin, whatever, will give a sudden large uncontrollable spike in ammonia, often it's over 2.0ppm. Live rock die off will give a slow steady climb in ammonia as long as you keep up with frequent water changes. This gives you time to do large water changes before ammonia gets too high.
That has been my experience anyway, every tank is probably different.