So, New tank......

oneradtek

ok sounds good.....i bought a reefmaster test kit but it doesnt have ammonia testing in it so im going to get one by next week, i doubt its ready any time soon so im not in any rush. But the aqua scaping that i did in the newest pic with the two islands on either side of the tank i think is better than the others.....what do you all think?

mcbdz

I have a question about your hood. I noticed you put your lighting, which contains MH, inside a closed hood. I do not see any vents. Do you have circulation for your lights. This could be a real problem if you have closed your lights up. Let me know if I'm wrong.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by oneradtek
ok sounds good.....i bought a reefmaster test kit but it doesnt have ammonia testing in it so im going to get one by next week, i doubt its ready any time soon so im not in any rush. But the aqua scaping that i did in the newest pic with the two islands on either side of the tank i think is better than the others.....what do you all think?

Aquascaping looks good. I like the 2 separate areas!

oneradtek

well ive got two vents up top on either end, and also there are vents on the ends going down, and the light sits a bit off the water and its gonna be opened in the back.....the fan in the light fixture is really strong, its been a concern for me too, but i think it should be okay.....when i start lighting it, ill keep track of the temperature and see if it changes alot, of so then ill hook up some more fans

oneradtek

So i have an update now, my tanks ammonia is zero but with that, now comes step two.......the nitrites are sky high now above 4ppm, but i have some nitrate so the prcoess is soon gonna be over . I bought a 100watt heater, and i know that my tank is suppose to have a 150 but i dont want abrupt water changes, and with my lights heat, that should do just fine keep my water right up in temperature. in a week or 2 when my nitirites reach zero i will add my first critters, probably a nice clean up crew....and hopefully a emerald crab(which ive wanted a long time) and start lighting the system, i cannot wait. With the lights ill be putting on it, it will look nice and the coraline will be all over..

oneradtek

So, I have an update for all of you on my tank...
This tank is so far so good. My levels are all still going good with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and about 20 nitrate, but going to do a water change tomorrow. My temperature problem due to my lights was solved yesterday due to my retro-fit fan that i bought and put on. The temperature now stays 77-78 at all times. I have my moon lights on at all times and my actinics come on around 11am-12pm and my MH on for about 8 hours from 12-8 with the fan coming on with the MH to keep my temp down. I just added last week 8 astraia snails and 6 red-reef crabs and an emerald crab(His name is Gaston) haha and hes awesome, thinking about getting another one next week. I also broke into the coral realm with my purchase of a rock with many green mushrooms on it, it was cool to see the mushrooms open up when i put them in my tank to the light. I put them low to keep them from receiveing too much light but might end up moving them higher when the times right. Thinking about adding my first fish next week but stilll leary because i do not have a skimmer. I have been looking around and might get a remora or a prizm just to get the job done, i need a small profile one because i have only about 3.5 inches of clearance behind my tank. What else could i do? i have two 330 penguins on my tank and theyre doing good. If i cant get a skimmer on my tank somehow, would i be able to get away without one and just do regular water changes and a light fish load? so any ways, its starting to get cold up here and thats crappy because i have to go put my car away tomorrow
But here are some more pics from my tank currently, but theyre not the best of quality im sorry, you all have a nice day

oneradtek

So i know pics of mushrooms are getting old but this ones awesome! and i also kind of got a picture of Gaston the Emerald Crab doing his thing.....But its okay because no one cares or comments
haha

oneradtek

custom built stand by a good friend of mine....he does amazing wood work but it started off with this stand thats it on here

mcbdz

"have been looking around and might get a remora or a prizm just to get the job done, i need a small profile one because i have only about 3.5 inches of clearance behind my tank. What else could i do? i have two 330 penguins on my tank and theyre doing good. If i cant get a skimmer on my tank somehow, would i be able to get away without one and just do regular water changes and a light fish load? so any ways, its starting to get cold up here and thats crappy because i have to go put my car away tomorrow But here are some more pics from my tank currently, but theyre not the best of quality im sorry, you all have a nice day"
I removed one of my HOB filters from my 55g and replaced it with a skimmer. This made a very big difference in water quality.

oneradtek

Originally Posted by mcbdz
"have been looking around and might get a remora or a prizm just to get the job done, i need a small profile one because i have only about 3.5 inches of clearance behind my tank. What else could i do? i have two 330 penguins on my tank and theyre doing good. If i cant get a skimmer on my tank somehow, would i be able to get away without one and just do regular water changes and a light fish load? so any ways, its starting to get cold up here and thats crappy because i have to go put my car away tomorrow But here are some more pics from my tank currently, but theyre not the best of quality im sorry, you all have a nice day"
I removed one of my HOB filters from my 55g and replaced it with a skimmer. This made a very big difference in water quality.

o sorry i forgot to post that i kept both penguins on and made enough room for a seaclone too.....its working good for me so i dont wanna hear it from anyone haha....i just had to play with the settings for a week now its great

oneradtek

So my frogspawn has opened up very nicely.....the zoos are all almost open too, they look amazing...my mushroom problem has been resolved and water quality is amazing!
One problem...my GSP will not open! i heard that it is one of the easier corals to have, but yet all my other stuff looks great and this just won't come open for me. When i first put it in it opened, now nothing!
Also my nepthea has become unglued and is now somewhere in my tank, I'm hoping that in a few months i see something green coming out of my rock!...that would be pretty cool
I'm still working on another fish, thinking another ocellaris and I'm gonna be getting 10 more snails and blue leg crabs. 1 peppermint shrimp....
ill post pics of the corals progress as it goes....

oneradtek

Here are some newer pics....
My mushrooms have changed for the worse but theyre getting better

My Zoanthids have lost color but are all open

My toadstool frag

My frogspawn polyp which i LOVE

Oh and we cannot forget Larry the clownfish

oneradtek

Buying Tomorrow....
Royal Gramma
Ocellaris Clown
cleaner shrimp
10 astrea snails
ill have more pics posted soon

oneradtek

ok i just replaced the bulbs on my tank, i didnt know how old they were but im guessing very haha. I replaced them with 2 15k MH and 2 new "real" actinic strips becasue jebo doesnt put real actinics in their light systems. What a difference! my actinics are so bright now and my MH make my water so brilliant now. I raised my light off the tank to about a foot or more and decreased my light duration by 2 hours....we'll see how they do for the corals!
My new fish come in Wednesday! along with a cleaner shrimp and lots of snails!

oneradtek

Here are new pictures from my new camera, i still havent quite gotten used to it, but heres some good ones