So, New tank......

oneradtek

Thanks everyone. It is a lot easier to keep things healthy now with the open concept due to the flow increase. It is also easier to clean.
I don't quarantine my fish. I special order them from my lfs and pick them directly up. Disease causing organisms are already in every tank, esp ich , the fact a fish gets sick I would say is because it is stressed for some reason or another.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneradtek http:///t/288189/so-new-tank/520#post_3534053
Thanks everyone. It is a lot easier to keep things healthy now with the open concept due to the flow increase. It is also easier to clean.
I don't quarantine my fish. I special order them from my lfs and pick them directly up. Disease causing organisms are already in every tank, esp ich , the fact a fish gets sick I would say is because it is stressed for some reason or another.
Hi, If I haven't said it already, Welcome to the site!

I don't know why in the world you would think that all tanks have disease and parasites in them...
I can't understand why you would think coming directly from a supplier would make an ounce of difference.
All fish are more susceptible to disease and parasites when stressed, guess what...the moment the fish was packed up and sent...it was stressed...REALLY STRESSED after being shipped.

Now, having said all that to refute your illusion of safety...you do still need to quarantine all new arrivals.
Reason #1...fish could carry something into your established tank, and kill all the other inhabitants in it.
Reason #2...A quarantine allows a new fish to adjust and not be chased in strange surroundings trying to establish territory after such a stressful move.
Reason #3...It will allow you to observe your new pet, make sure it's eating and acting like it should.
Reason #4...it will help you to slow down and not add too many fish too fast into your tank. The #1 cause of new tanks to crash.

Once the BIG move is over, the critter of choice has had time to relax without a battle for territory while being completely stressed out, and you're sure it's is free of parasites and disease...THEN, you can put the new fish in your community tank with confidence. The fish will still be stressed a little from another move, but nothing like the shipping stress when you first got it, and you won't be taking such a big risk with the health and well being of the established critters already in the tank.

Quarantine is not just or the health and well being of the new fish...it's for all of your fish. They are all at risk every time
you add anything new. If the ich parasite gets into an establish tank, you have to remove all of your fish for 8 weeks to be rid of it. You can't do hypo or copper in a display, because it will kill all of your inverts. The "reef safe" stuff does not work...BELIEVE ME!... If you have to remove all of your fish...you won't have the room that you had in a quarantine with one little fish at a time, that means more tanks or a larger hospital tank.

You could let them just die and anything that survives can live...but every time ...EVERY TIME...quarantine or not after it's in the tank, the new stressed fish is going to get ich. Healthy fish can indeed fight off the parasite, but by sheer numbers even healthy fish will be overcome, and you will manage to start the death toll all over again. All it will take is just once...one time adding a parasite like ich, and your nightmare begins. An once of prevention is all it takes to not have it happen to you.

oneradtek

Welcome? I've been a member a few years before you in fact. Also anything I say is my opinion and should be taken as such .... i am not the only person that has this same observation/idea. I guess if I ever have a huge outbreak I will change my approach. Maybe I should have mentioned that these are just my experiences or ideas when I started this thread 4 years before you joined.

oneradtek

Secondly I don't think that coming directly from a distributor changes anything when it comes to disease and I never said it does. It is simply one less stressful transfer for them

oneradtek

Are you trying to teach me this stuff or do you like to type a lot? Because I am more than competent and knowledgeable.i still find it weird you welcomed me when you posted on this thread with 21 thousand views a few pages back. Also I find it belittling with what you wrote to me ...this hobby is based off of so much information and many of which are experiences. I would not consider myself a newbie and nor would I consider you one....but a lot of what you just said is what is discussed in the new member forum. Maybe I was wrong posting an update on this site. ... seems more trouble than its worth
Okay I'm done

tthemadd1

Oneradtek. WELCOME TO THE SITE Ha.
Your tank rocks do what you do brother.
For some its a hobby for others a soapbox.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneradtek http:///t/288189/so-new-tank/540#post_3534062
Are you trying to teach me this stuff or do you like to type a lot? Because I am more than competent and knowledgeable.i still find it weird you welcomed me when you posted on this thread with 21 thousand views a few pages back. Also I find it belittling with what you wrote to me ...this hobby is based off of so much information and many of which are experiences. I would not consider myself a newbie and nor would I consider you one....but a lot of what you just said is what is discussed in the new member forum. Maybe I was wrong posting an update on this site. ... seems more trouble than its worth
Okay I'm done
Hi,

Your new here...and saying you never bother to quarantine a new fish and then continued with a statement that you think only stressed fish get sick, or get parasites. It gave me the impression that you were new to the hobby.

I thought what you wrote to be a rookie mistake, and I did get a little preachy...actually I was trying to teach you something, thinking I was being helpful....my post was long winded because I wanted you to understand WHY, I said what I did, in the hopes of NOT offending a new person.

I'm sorry if we got off on the wrong foot. I do welcome you to the site wholeheartedly. I didn't mean for you to feel belittled. I hit the new posts button, and often don't realize I'm not in the new hobbyist section, and until your post ... I assumed that's where I was.

I hope you stay....again...I'm sorry.

oneradtek

I am not new here I have been on this site for 8 years and I created this diary 6 years ago... How's that make me new?
I'm so happy you allow me to post on this site too. Thank you so much.
The idea I have about quarantining is not a newb approach. Plenty of veterans use this approach but then again I have never added any new fish in a few years. If I got burned in the past with ich with a total tank wipe out, I would most likely be very cautious as well. But my tank does not have any issues like that to this date and with no plans on adding new fishes any time soon, I think I'm aloud to hold my method of adding fish.

oneradtek

Fish do get sick when stressed though. ....but it is correct that's not a cause 100 percent of the time.
Whatever I'm done and I obviously need some education in salt 101

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneradtek http:///t/288189/so-new-tank/540#post_3534080
So you're saying your fish tanks contain no parasites or harmful organisms then? Just to clarify

No harmful organisms to fish anyway. I wouldn't drink the water.

I had a nightmare with ich some years ago in my reef...I can't begin to explain the grief. In a nut shell.....I couldn't set up a hospital tank large enough for all of my fish. They had to ride it out, and I couldn't add any new fish because it got the whole thing rolling again. I learned a very hard lesson. My LFS told me all tanks had ich...I know now that he told a story...

There shouldn't be anything harmful in your tank. Your right that a stressed fish will get sick, that's why aggression is a serious issue. A tank too small is another thing that causes big problems, HALI is often the result, or bacterial infections. Just like you and I...if we live with stress 24/7 it would kill us too.

However parasites are a whole different issue. Flat worms, ich to name a few...we don't have those in our tanks unless we inadvertently put them there. We dip our corals to prevent flat worms or coral eating nudibranches, We quarantine a new fish to make sure of more then just ich...Flukes (Gyrodactylus) are also a concern. http://www.fishvet.com/Flukes.htm

There are so many things that can go wrong in a tiny environment we call a fish tank. It's close quarters, so the death toll can climb fast. I've been in the hobby for a while, and I learn new things all the time. I think the reason why I like SW tanks so much, is that it makes me feel young again, I can experience the wonder of discovery, and always there is something new to learn.

I said all that to try and explain, I truly meant no disrespect. I can tell I hurt your feelings, and that wasn't my intent. I don't want you to be "done with it". I really was just trying to help.

oneradtek

There you go preaching again....Please just leave my thread alone.
People have enjoyed my thread for 6 years. Go post in the newbie forum so you can teach them . Thanks

oneradtek

thanks much. Some were new corals and some are ones that I have had growing in my frag tank. it was good that I could pick and choose what goes in this time.
2 250 watt radium

lubeck

Awesome lighting setup. I whimped out as I wanted to go to a radium t5 setup so bad but was too concerned about heat on my tank and more so the electric bill out here in CA. I ended going with the ATI powermodule led hybrid that I'm very happy with so far.

hefner413

Hey rad. Nice job newbie! :) I just caught up on your thread.. it's been a couple years since I've spent much time here on swf. I'm finally giving more attention to my fowler.. but seeing yours kinda makes me want to consider starting a reef again... Well, until I remember how much more work the reef was than my current fowler. :) Keep up the good work newb!