So who doesn't do water changes?

iechy

How many of you have abandoned or scaled back water changes? I have scaled mine back and only do them every few months or as tests dictate them. I was wondering what anyone else is doing. I have found the less I fiddle with my tank the happier everything seems to be. Perhaps everything is right in balance since I haven't added anything or perhaps it's a disaster waiting to happen. What's your take?

spsfreak100

I haven't done a water change in over a year :) Although, I feel it's a highly debated subject. Some people swear on doing water changes, yet others never do a water change and are getting great results.
Graham

naturelover

I am satisfied with my tank without regular water changes. I have done a few water changes in 3 yrs.
Every one test for a few minarals and add addictive or do water changes to replace them.
If you add addictive it does make sense. Since most don't test for other minarals. They might build up in your tank and cause trouble.
If you are not testing for every minarals how do you know if it is used or not used, sometimes it might not show up watertest but yet still absorbed by LR (Think of LR like phos. sponge). So you choose what is best.

we agree hole heartedly.......only do WC's when the tests dictate it.......why fuss with the tank and stress everyone out?
A wise man once said: "If it aint broke.....dont fix it";) But to each his own.
Peace!:p
Fishy Wife

My timeline falls around every 2 - 2 1/2 months. Usually at that time, the test levels indicate I should perform one. Alot of live rock, a good skimmer, proper filtration and not overstocking/overfeeding really reduces the need for water changes at the "every 2 week" mark.

dattong

I used to do 5% water change weekly, then every two weeks, then every month, and now my tank has not gotten water change for 3months already. The nice thing about it was that the undesirable algea just disappeared. But I think I should do some water change once in awhile.

toytek

I think that I might just have found my problem!
I do a water change evey 2 weeks, then the shrooms
look sad and fish are mad!
HUMMMMM!!!!!!
toytek

15 in a 262 over a year?? wow....nice job. I keep trying to convince the wife that my 180 is getting too small......seeing your "262" makes me salivate lol

toytek,
What percentage of water are you changing? Maybe reduce the volume or delay the timeline and see if they are less stressed. Keep and eye on your levels tho, don't want anything getting out of control.

N

newreefers

I change out 5 gal in a 125 every 90 days. Main Reef Tank
I change out 1 gal in a 10 every 90 days. Nano Tank
I change out 1 gal in a 6 every 90 days. Mantis Tank
I keep them topped off and only add reef former and drip kalc. I used to do water changes weekly, but my tanks are thriving and seem much more stable since I cut back.

nm reef

Each system is different and each reefkeeper approachs his/her system maintenance differently. In all honesty there are numerous methods of maintaining a marine system that are effective. Personally I like to change about 5gal every 3-4 weeks...it simply makes sense to me to remove some old water and replace it with new fresh water. It has never caused any damage and most of the information I've seen indicates that it is a sound and safe procedure to follow. But ... to each their own.

Home of
New Mexico Reef

nmreef@cox.net

Originally posted by doodle1800
Good thread... makes me feel better that I don't as much as I thought I should have been.

I agree... it's interesting to see that not everyone
does frequent water changes.

azonic

I did water changes on my previous 90 gallon reef and it crashed on me.(Not saying that's the reason).
My new 110 I do not plan on doing water changes at all. Been 4 months so far.

murray bmf

I used to do 10% every week-now I've kinda slacked off. Either way I haven't noticed any difference at all in the way my tank looks or the way the fish and stuff act. I do have my water test quite often and it's always fine. Oh Well:)

squidd

I... "read" ..."somewhere" ...that if you added plant life to your tank you could use tap water and not have to do waterchanges...
Is this "true"?...:D :rolleyes: :p
:cool: