So, Who Here Says "YALL"!

mudplayerx

My father has a finished basement that is kind of "his" area in the house, and he actually has a television sitting on top of a non-working television LOL

txbrittany

Originally Posted by Tizzo
IMO "Red neck" is an attitude. A style if you will. Comperable to "prep" or "yuppie".
There is country, and then there's redneck. Country is, well country. IMO country is a good ol' fashioned, what gramma taught, kinda simplicity. Red neck is a more "uneducated" country.
Red Necks are folks who LIVE in the country, but have to many unsupported opinions. For example, and this is ONLY an example not a profile, but racism. If I meet somebody from the country who is an OBVIOUS racist, my first impression is red neck. Potatos shooters, ---- fights, 5 cars that don't run in the driveway... Ooohh Jeff Foxworthy pretty much nails it!!
Hard working, horse riding, fence fixing, cow milkers aren't red necks IMO, they are country.
That is my perspective on what a red neck is.

Agreed. But, it seems like red necks are trendy these days. I live in a very small town in Texas, and we are the typical ol' fashioned, strong morals and values, and very conservative types. I'm sure there are some red necks here, but it's a fad that's pretty much done with. :joy:

celacanthr

I am most definantly not a redneck, or country, I am more like Mr. Liberal, stcuk in SC
Well, anyways, we have a teacher that moved here from California (stress the "i" if you wanna sound "southern", "country", or "redneck"), and she thinks everyone from the south is a red neck. So, we speak with a really really heavy accent near her. Drives her crazy. She is also in denial, because she thinks that niether her nor her kid (who is like 2) will get a southern accent.... she is a fast learner, because she already has said sleep in suthern (yea, I spelled it suthern).

jacknjill

oh yeah, they will both definately get it. if you hear people talking a certain way, thats how you start to talk. like new yorkers, southerner, louisiana and stuff. its unaviodable lol. i have to try really hard not to stress certain words and sound really southern sometims lol. i dont have a bad accent i think, but then my cousins come down or i go over there to colorado, and they say they can hear it lol

T

tizzo

When I visit my family in Ohio, everybody I speak to asks, "Where are YOU from?? Alabama?" And still to this day, down here in the south, I get the question, "Where're YOU from?? New York??"
If I have a southern accent, it's very slight. I think it's more in my choice of words..."fixin' to", "y'all", "did you not", etc...
Life is fun. ***)

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by JacknJill
oh yeah, they will both definately get it. if you hear people talking a certain way, thats how you start to talk. like new yorkers, southerner, louisiana and stuff. its unaviodable lol. i have to try really hard not to stress certain words and sound really southern sometims lol. i dont have a bad accent i think, but then my cousins come down or i go over there to colorado, and they say they can hear it lol
Does anyone watch Friends? This reminds me of the episode where Phoebe and Monica's friend is back from London, and she's speaking with a british accent... (totally fake, and you can tell too... lol!!!) I love that show!!!

J

jdragunas

oh yeah, and getting back on topic, we were raised in p'cola, FL, and they have pretty strong accents, but we were always yelled at if we talked with a southern accent... "mommy, my 'hay-ed' hurts"... "it's not 'hay-ed', it's head!!!". Whenever we would come up here to visit family, none of their friends would believe we were from the south, because we didn't have accents (although we did say y'all...). lol

farmboy

My buddy and I went to school in Indy. The Hoosiers thought we were from Alabama or something, at least until the guys from Tennessee showed up. These folks could make virtually any word 3 syllables. Very impressive.