So xenias are fast growers

blackjacktang

I have a xenia in my 3g pico. I have had it for 2 moths now and it is growing!
When I boght it, it was about 3 inches wide. Since then it has been splitting like crap. I have 6 of them and now and by the looks of it, it is splitting again.
Ill try to get a pic up ater today.
Sizes of them
4 polyp
6 polyp
8 polyp
16-30 polyp

fishy7

It took just about 1 year and this is nothing to compare what I have harvested at many LFS...it keeps growing and I keep harvesting. hahahha
It pretty much pays for my tank and then some...

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by FISHY7
http:///forum/post/2641274
It took just about 1 year and this is nothing to compare what I have harvested at many LFS...it keeps growing and I keep harvesting. hahahha
It pretty much pays for my tank and then some...
Yep!! Xenia frags turned my tank into an SPS dominated tank for VERY cheap

indyws6

Greetings

Not trying to hijack...

I have some very nice Silver Branch Pumping Xenia (The Drs. Certified Captive Grown stuff...) that reproduces well in my tank. The problem is, my LFS (not so local - 30 minute drive) will not buy it consistently. Some times they want some, some (most) times they don't. I can't count on them...
It is difficult to sell on the forum because of the relatively low price you can get for it vs. the high costs for shipping. I would sell (much) larger than normal frags to help offset the cost of shipping if there was any demand
. Let me know - nelson(dot)mark(at)remyinc(dot)com.
I also have Anthelia colonies and they grow and spread at least 3x faster than Xenia, at least im my tank. Your mileage may vary...

Take Care

fishy7

Xenai does not ship well and all though you will give more, it is sill hard to sell.
I would suggest finding several new local guys, even if they are 1 hour away! So you are not depending on one guy to buy the goods.
I have several that I deliver to. So there is always a buyer when it is harvest time.
Give this a shot!

billy73

Be very careful IMO it is the worst kind of dandilion! You can cut and cut and it will almost always come back even with a wire brush!

indyws6

Greetings

FISHY7 - I, too, have heard that Xenia doesn't ship well, but I have also heard the opposite. I only have one personal experience with shipping it, but had no problems. There were a few small chunks of carbon in the bag, although I don't know if that made any significant difference. I wonder if the "Xenia doesn't ship well" theory is more urban legend than truth
. The commercial sites seem to be able to sell and ship it and it doesn't seem to be too difficult to make it thrive...
BILLY73 - From my personal experience (I'm certainly not an expert), Anthelia is far harder to control than Xenia. Xenia spreads, but it is through stalk formation, which is predictable. Essentially, it will "stretch" and attach to neighboring rocks and then split into a new colony. I have scrubbed Xenia from rocks where it wasn't wanted and was able to effectively remove it. There was some re-growth, but it was minor. Seems like the best bet is to frag it as it naturally forms new stalks.
Portions of Anthelia, however, will separate from the colony, float around the tank and then attach wherever it feels comfortable. Sometimes this is because it has been "bumped" loose or from the water current dislodging it. I have literally scrubbed it from rocks only to have it come back just as strong. I have even seen it float into my overflow chamber, through the plumbing and into the sump; surviving, even thought there is very little light available. The absolute definition of "hardy". Too bad it doesn't come in colors other than brown

Take Care

A

alexmir

If you wanna check to see how they ship, just bag one branch up, put it in a box, and leave it in your garage for 24 hours. And every 2 hours just go in there and flip it around for a few seconds.
this would be the easiest way to tell IMO. mabye try 3 brahces just to test out.

fishy7

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2643976
If you wanna check to see how they ship, just bag one branch up, put it in a box, and leave it in your garage for 24 hours. And every 2 hours just go in there and flip it around for a few seconds.
this would be the easiest way to tell IMO. mabye try 3 brahces just to test out.
good test.
I like it!

brewski4u1

Originally Posted by indyws6
http:///forum/post/2643928
Greetings

BILLY73 - From my personal experience (I'm certainly not an expert), Anthelia is far harder to control than Xenia. Xenia spreads, but it is through stalk formation, which is predictable. Essentially, it will "stretch" and attach to neighboring rocks and then split into a new colony. I have scrubbed Xenia from rocks where it wasn't wanted and was able to effectively remove it. There was some re-growth, but it was minor. Seems like the best bet is to frag it as it naturally forms new stalks.
Portions of Anthelia, however, will separate from the colony, float around the tank and then attach wherever it feels comfortable. Sometimes this is because it has been "bumped" loose or from the water current dislodging it. I have literally scrubbed it from rocks only to have it come back just as strong. I have even seen it float into my overflow chamber, through the plumbing and into the sump; surviving, even thought there is very little light available. The absolute definition of "hardy". Too bad it doesn't come in colors other than brown

Take Care

I'm having a problem w/ Anthelia right now i bought a frag pack and they just threw some in and i was a newbie and was like cool ! i have scraped cut made a mat and covered it everything right now the only thing that is slowing it down actually has killed a huge section is my hammer coral! but it has taken about a month ! i'm really annoyed by it!