SOCCER - The Real Football

dennycrane

Just curious how many footballers are out there. And by footballers, I mean the ones that play the game with their feet...and a ball...hense, FOOT-BALL. The World Cup is coming up in Germany (go USA), so the topic is fairly current.
Who plays? Who coaches? Who supports what team? My local is BCFC - Birmingham City Football Club (of Alabama). Favorite team is Newcastle United - SHEARER IS GOD 201!!!!!!

crimzy

Don't forget the juice boxes and orange slices... your mom brings them this week, right?

ruaround

Originally Posted by crimzy
Don't forget the juice boxes and orange slices... your mom brings them this week, right?

good times good times...
I went to the cup qualifier in salt lake back in June... it was pretty cool
I have never had an intrest in soccer... I guess in this instant gratification society the low scoring games are put off to the way side...

darth tang

Nope....could never understand a sport where the fans riot whether you win or lose no matter what..........

dennycrane

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
Besides, a sport requires and allows the use of your hands at every position..............

Thanks for the definition, Webster, but your analysis of sport is in error. I don't mean to get off on a rant here, but you presume that all sports have positions. That of course would rule out Golf, almost every Olympic game, Tennis, etc. etc. etc. Further, your flawed reasoning implies that soccer makes no use of the hands or allows the use. This is true to the extent that NASCAR, Golf, Tennis, Equestrian, skateboarding, surfing, skiing and other sports make no use of the hands. Besides the obvious keeper position, soccer makes constant use of the hands = blocking, holding, pushing, pulling. Should you ever watch a game and see Wayne Rooney, Freddy Adu, or any other player fight for a ball, you'll see specific moves using the hands to gain advantage over the ball. Moves similar to a linebackers moves getting around offensive linemen.
Hooligan behavior is a problem (mainly in the UK and SA) but it also represents what is great about the sport - the fans have pride for there team. Here in the south we get a taste of it when it comes to college football (American). Auburn v. Alabama, Florida v. Georgia, Tennessee v. Anybody...these games constantly involve pre and post game violence. Hooligans are just more organized. But if that undermines your Disney ideal of what sport should be, I understand. It can be intimidating. Perhaps the nonstop action
of cricket on stereroids, oops I mean baseball, is more your style. Or perhaps sport isn't your thing at all.
It feels like there is more scoring with a 7-21 end result in American football, but it is no more than a 1-3 result in soccer. That was derived as a psychological device to make a game of strategy feel more like a game of action. But it is the same touchdown to goals ratio. The action in soccer is also nonstop, unlike the hurry up and wait (plus constant reviewing and timeouts) rhythm of football. If you can take a significant nap in the middle of you game and still catch the end result, there is something wrong. There are no commercials in soccer.
Plus, ask any girl what athlete they rather be with and soccer player wins hands down nearly every time. And yes, soccer moms are cool.

Nice mom joke, Crimzy.
I can always appreciate a well placed and well timed mom joke.

damselsrck

You know, everyone has their preferences in sports, and personally mine is soccer. I agree that there is more running in soccer, but in football there is lots of sprinting, and they have to be able to throw a ball. I completely agree that soccer is a wonderful sport, but none of us should put down football, for example, to make us feel better about soccer.

drewco

true. You really dont have to be in good shape to play half of the football positions. But all soccer players are fit and in to physical condition.
Soccer is the most played sport in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37g joe

when I was in college we had alot of students from south america and Africa who where enrolled one of my best friends was from Tanzania. Well they would play soccer every sunday. My friend from Tanzania got me to play a couple times. They are crazy about soccer It might be for kids in the U.s but other parts of the world its serious buisness. I was always quite impressed and always out of my league when I played with them.

37g joe

Originally Posted by 37g Joe
when I was in college we had alot of students from south america and Africa who where enrolled one of my best friends was from Tanzania. Well they would play soccer every sunday. My friend from Tanzania got me to play a couple times. They are crazy about soccer It might be for kids in the U.s but other parts of the world its serious buisness. I was always quite impressed and always out of my league when I played with them.

ivica

finally world cup is almost here and whoever win the world cup is WORLD CHAMPION!! Not like football or baseball they called themself worldchamps and they are playing only in US!How funny!!!Anyway soccer is the best cant wait for world cup an Croatia to win it all!!!