Solomon Islands Devastated

gypsana

Sorry Al Gore is still a politician and he has his own agenda. The sun is having a major impact on our planet, but you won't hear about that on TV.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by saltfreak4
Exactly, and why has the MAGNATUDE changed?
I think maybe cause of Global Warming and the Environment changing.

aztec reef

If you watched that Al Gore movie .
I thought this was something Good until i heard Al Gore. Now this is just a Movie of the week ***)

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by ophiura
These are always shocking incidents, and of course the death toll is always of concern.
However, this is normal, natural and proof that this planet is FAR more powerful - far greater - than MAN.
Much if this is hype hype hype. Does anyone think this has never happened before? Do you think the reefs won't grow back? I hate articles with quotes like some of that. It is a joke. Humans have no concept of anything greater than themselves, or time frames longer than a TV show...maybe a TV season.
YES, it will grow back, probably at a perfectly normal rate, which may take decades, centuries....
Hmmm. I wonder how there is a fossil coral reef on top of the Guadalupe Mts of West Texas near the NM border.
I hate to say it once again, but isn't it ironic we are lamenting NATURAL destruction when we are in other posts asking about rock, corals or fish - that in collecting, results in human destruction for pure entertainment for this hobby?
Do you research what this hobby can do to the environment? Do you buy sustainable and tank raised?
This event has nothing whatsoever to do with man, but you can make a real difference.

hitting the panic button before doing the research, the news agencies are good for that.
level headed people figure it out first and then the news gives the sigh of relief.
I forgot who here said it already but the real harm comes from the keepers who don’t demand aqua cultured pieces.
Mother nature has her plans but her plans did not include humans destroying it. On the other side of the coin, responsible keepers are also helping to preserve and spread her live stock by aqua culturing and leaving wild stock to build and rebuild.

mfp1016

There have always been very rapid weather changes in our earth's history. People always think of these as very long expanses of time, however you can definitely see fluctuation in recent history, even the last 1000 years. Why do you think people moved to Sweden? Permenantly? As we are all human we cannot help but introspectively question our impact on the planet; however, no one can provide satisfactory proof on either end of the spectrum. In my opinion, all we can do is look at history and try to study natural history. There have been mass extinctions, etc. but here we are after all of those changes with maginificent reefs and beautiful scenery. It will change, but you can't know if it will change for the better or worse. Nature evolves.

kwolfskill

I doubt it. Seems pretty arogant to think that we are capable of actually killing the entire planet for all time. Are we killing off the ability of the human race to continue in our current life styles? Maybe. Are we the only cause of all of the climate changes, new occurrances of natural disasters, etc.? Again I doubt it. The Earth has been around a long time, and seen complete devistation before, and without that previous devistation the humans might not have evolved and be here. Lastly, are we killing off other species through our arrogance? Yes, that is the sad part. When we as humans cause a species to become extinct through our actions or inactions, I think we have over stepped our bounds.
Just my $0.02 worth.
As far as the Solomon Islands, that makes me sad, and the thought of not having any living wild reefs in 25 years makes me real sad.

T

tiberius

How can Greenland melt?
I seen a picture of it in that movie and they showed this huge waterfall in the middle of it. The water will go down to the bedrock and slide the ice off the shelf. It has already happened to Larson's shelf. Then the sun will be hitting more water instead of it being reflected off by the ice.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Tiberius
If you watched that Al Gore movie then it sure looks like it. If Greenland does melt, I will be under water!.....
Again, there have been massive rises in the Earth's oceans throughout history. Man had nothing to do with all of those.

reefkprz

How can Greenland melt?
HYPE
HYPE
HYPE
HYPE
And a lot of just plain lies, short sightedness, lack of any scientific education, more hype, MONEY, lack of understanding of time scales, human egocentrism....just to start
ophuria I'm getting the impression you feel strongly on this subject.

but on the lighter side of this whole natural occurance, who ever owned beach front property ended up with a few more acres. :joy:

20galfowlr

i opened up a box of worms i souldnt have, everyones entitled to their opinion and in no way would i break others apart.

ophiura

Greenland will not melt. The ice sheet may melt. All considering, it is a relatively young ice sheet when considering time scales.
We are certainly coming out of an ice age, therefor of course the ice sheets will continue to retreat. In so doing, the climate will warm further (ice sheets reflect sunlight leading to more cooling, as they recede, obviously there is less "feedback").
This has happened numerous times in the past.
Honestly. If people would just learn about geologic history, they would question the stuff being fed to them. Of course, we hardly teach "stuff" like that any more, and so we will have to pay the price.
I agree that if anything we will impact the ability of HUMANS to survive (if we are doing much at all). But that is VERY VERY different from this so called "saving the planet" stuff which is pure egocentrism.

reefreak29

Greenland will not melt. The ice sheet may melt. All considering, it is a relatively young ice sheet when considering time scales.
We are certainly coming out of an ice age, therefor of course the ice sheets will continue to retreat. In so doing, the climate will warm further (ice sheets reflect sunlight leading to more cooling, as they recede, obviously there is less "feedback").
This has happened numerous times in the past.
Honestly. If people would just learn about geologic history, they would question the stuff being fed to them. Of course, we hardly teach "stuff" like that any more, and so we will have to pay the price.
I agree that if anything we will impact the ability of HUMANS to survive (if we are doing much at all). But that is VERY VERY different from this so called "saving the planet" stuff which is pure egocentrism.
ty,im so sck of hearing about global warming

ophiura

I encourage everyone to google this article:
Use terms "gloomy Richard S. Lindzen newsweek"
There are excellent points in there, from a guy who is an MIT meteorologist.

fireshrimp

why was my post deleted? Because i did not agree with the others here? I think it is lame that we are censored on this board...

ophiura

I can see all of the posts, whether deleted or not (AND who deleted them as people like to claim mods do it, when they do)...there is NO post in this thread that has been deleted.
People are only "censored" when they are rude, obnoxious, use foul language, etc. which you have NO right to do.
If you do this, then please do not post, and find another board

If you productively expressed a different point of view, that is fine...but let me assure you there is nothing in this thread that was deleted. Perhaps it didn't post?
BELIEVE ME, this "censorship" happens on every board, because keeping one rude loud mouth is not worth losing one decent member

aztec reef

I encourage everyone to google this article:
Use terms "gloomy Richard S. Lindzen newsweek"
Thanks for that article:Ophiura :joy: But No disrespect but any average joe could off made that article.
What do they mean by The devate on Global warming is over?
Do They mean they agree that GW has something to do with all of this?
Or do they Disagree and say GW has nothing to do with these activities.
here's what i think
I think the EARTH is getting WARMER as we age. but this warming is nothing to worry about for the next decades even centuries to come.
Also i still think that Man doesn't have the POWER to change/avoid this.
We can only do so little to help. I believe in GLOBAL WARMING but like i said before this is nothing New the only thing that has changed is the MAGNITUDE.
$.02

ophiura

But it wasn't an average Joe. The media and Al Gore say all scientists agree on this. Here is an MIT meteorologist - one of many - who clearly does not agree.
For what it is worth, I totally believe in climate change which is the more accurate term. And I believe it is normal and natural.

aztec reef

But it wasn't an average Joe. The media and Al Gore say all scientists agree on this. Here is an MIT meteorologist - one of many - who clearly does not agree.
True and that's the only thing that makes it credible(his credentials)
Then what does he agree ON, that's he think this is all Normal Natural Ocurrance(this maybe true to a point) Do you think if Humans weren't on earth the MAGNITUDES would be the same?
For what it is worth, I totally believe in climate change which is the more accurate term. And I believe it is normal and natural.
True, because there is GLOBAL WARMING & GLOBAL COOLING..
Don't get me wrong i'm in no way trying to take sides with Al Gore

aztec reef

True and that's the only thing that makes it credible(his credentials)
Then what does he agree ON, Does he think this is all Normal Natural Ocurrance(this maybe true to a point) Do you think if Humans weren't on earth the MAGNITUDES would be the same?