Some pictures of my 140g reef, thought I'd share my joy...

tlsohio

Thanks all, I appreciate the kind words. I love my reef tanks!!
To answer a couple questions the greenery is a combination of feather calurpa and grape calurpa. I like the look of it, but you do have to keep after it or it will take over. I harvest about once a month.
The lights are: 2 Current - T5 VHO - six bulbs per, plus an ice cap tube of lunars.

flower

It's exactly the kind of reef tank I dream of creating someday. You love your reef tank and it shows. I would be very paranoid about the calurpa going asexual on me and clouding up the tank, I have been too afraid to even have it..

tlsohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/381200/some-pictures-of-my-140g-reef-thought-i-d-share-my-joy#post_3319563

It's exactly the kind of reef tank I dream of creating someday. You love your reef tank and it shows. I would be very paranoid about the calurpa going asexual on me and clouding up the tank, I have been too afraid to even have it..
I have the calurpa in all my tanks and refugiums, as long as you harvest and don't let it get out of hand, you will have no problems as well you ad an excellent form of natural filtration by having it.

spanko

Very nice. Tank needs a One Spot Foxface, Siganus unimaculatus, IMO to help contain the Caulerpa. They are a great fish.

tlsohio

Thanks for the suggestion, I have been hesitant to put many fish in my tank, due the the risk of ick. It seems like most of the fish I try to introduce gets stressed and brings ick into my tank. I quarantine everything but even when you move them from the quarantine to the main tank they can still stress, any suggestions?? I would like to have a tang or two and a reef safe wrasse but haven't been brave enough.

levinjac

how do you move them to the main tank i would use a home made fish trap this way the fish wont have to leave the water and is less lickly to stress

levinjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsohio http:///forum/thread/381200/some-pictures-of-my-140g-reef-thought-i-d-share-my-joy#post_3320278
Do you have any examples of the homemade fish trap?
Use a water bottle cut the top rim off and throw it away vut around the rim abouve the paper, then peel the paper off and get off the glue stuff stick the round cone part in upside down back into the bottle put a sinkinf peice of food in it and wait after u put it in a fish not being to bright will swim in start eating and you greb it and bring the bottle up this is kind of stressful so be carful not to shake it and it can be dine to any bottle to make it the right size for the fish u want to catch then transfer it to the dt and u have a fish trap now it works for a qt but it may be a problem in the dt cause u may catch the wrong fish ill post a video from utube that i found and i got the idea from
http://www.youtube.com/user/quaqa88#p/u/26/IdZDU52sixw

tlsohio

Here is a picture of my latest addition a 5" Derasa (I'm so excited)!!!!
I am going to be adding some fish as well, they are in quarantine right now. I will be adding a 3" yellow tang, two firefish gobys and a lawnmower blenny. Possibly a Hippo tang in a short while. I'll take more pictures when I put the fish in in a couple of weeks, if all goes well. Any opinions on whether a lawnmower will fight with the existing redlip??