Some questions...

acropora12

Here is the list of things I am getting first to start up my 55 an have it cycle. Heater, 2x koralia 750's, salt mix, hydrometer, test kit, live sand (60#), and live rock (45#). I have 20# base rock. Now for the questions.
I hav a standard 55 gallon AGA aquarium. Where should I drill it, on the bttom or the back?
Would you suggest a overflow box for a beginner?
will a 20 gallon be enough extra water to keep it stale?
If I don't drill the tank first can I hold of adding the sump until the tank is cycled?
Thansk for any answers?
Kevin

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acropora12 http:///forum/thread/381105/some-questions#post_3318140
Here is the list of things I am getting first to start up my 55 an have it cycle. Heater, 2x koralia 750's, salt mix, hydrometer, test kit, live sand (60#), and live rock (45#). I have 20# base rock. Now for the questions.
Have you purchased the sand yet? You don't need that much live, but it won't hurt. If it were me I would use 40 pounds of dead dry sand until the tank cycles and then add 20 pounds or so of good high quality freshly harvested live sand.
I hav a standard 55 gallon AGA aquarium. Where should I drill it, on the bttom or the back?
I'm old school so I'm still nervous about drilling the bottom of a tempered tank. I would have purchaed a pre-drilled tank. In lieu of that I would drill corner back bottom and glue in an internal overflow and then drill another hole opposite corner back top for the return.
Would you suggest a overflow box for a beginner?
I would never recommend a hang on overflow box if it can be avoided.
will a 20 gallon be enough extra water to keep it stale?
I do not understand this question.
If I don't drill the tank first can I hold of adding the sump until the tank is cycled?
The tank should be empty if you're going to drill it. If you're going with a hang-on overflow you can wait until the tank is cycled.
Thansk for any answers?
Kevin
Additionally: IMO a 55 is a terrible tank for a reef. It doesn't have a big enough footprint compared to its height.

robertmathern

I think you are asking will a 20 gal sump keep your tank stable. The answer is no you dont need a sump to keep the tank stable. Now if your asking is a 20 gal good for a sump? yes. Also I would have to agree with bang on drilling the bottom of a tempered glass tank is never a good idea unless you want to buy another tank lol. If it were me I would have got a drilled tank but I would also drill the back of the tank toward the top put a bulk head with a 90 pointing toward the top for an overflow. Takes up alot less room in the tank.

robertmathern

I can remember the size hole you need but contact glassholes.com they have everything you need they sell kits for this

scott t

See I told you that you would get many people on here that are willing to help you and answer your questions. They are a good bunch of people. I think it is a person preference if you want to drill your tank or not. Me personally would not even attempt doing that so I will take my chances and go for a hang on overflow. (LOL) As for a 55 gal for a reef I have seen many beautiful reefs that are in 55 gals. If you look at the foot print of a 75 gal it is not much different that a 55 gal it is only about 4 1/4 inches wider and about 3/8 of and inch higher.. Now if you were talking a 100 gal or larger yes that would be a big difference in the footprint. Again tank size is a preference and also what you can afford at the time. Me I wanted to do a 75 gal or even a 90 gal but at this time it is not an option for me, maybe at a later time I will up grade to a larger tank say maybe in 12 to 18 months, but for now I will be happy with the 55 gal that I am going to set up....

deejeff442

personally i have never had an issue with an overflow.actually on my 250 i blocked the wholes and put one on it.i didnt like that the overflow boxes took away probably 10+gallons from the tank.so i cut them out also.if i were you i would go with the korilia # 3 's they really dont push no where near what they say they because the water isnt a direct flow like a rio.i have 3 #3's and 3 #4's in my tank and it seems minimum to me.

monsinour

I have been running an overflow for about 6 weeks now and not had a problem with it. The return is another story, but that was my own fault. IF i had to do it all over again, I would rather have the RR setup than the overflow. But price of tank was of concern so I had to save money where I could.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/381105/some-questions#post_3318284
If you have aquascaped both a 55 and a 75 I'm positive you would have appreciated the extra 5.5 inches of front to back space a 75 will provide. It really is a very significant difference.
Bang where were you when I was choose to get a 55? I would have loved to have that extra 5.5 inches. I struggled to have a decent/functional aquascape and am never satisfied with it.

bang guy

You could have searched my past comments on 55 gallon tanks, or asked directly

Seriously, if I'm going to inverst 2K+ on a reef system, buying the right tank is a minor piece of the cost.