Some Success

mattiej

Just thought I'd drop a pic or two showing my recent collecting success. I am anxiously awaiting my two week vacation/collecting trip. Plans are set, now all I have to do is get through work!

mattiej

Tony it is a 65 gallon recycled plastic water trough. The blue 'cage' you see in the pics is a 12V aerator that use a venturi to inject tons of air into the water. That is the same tub I kept the sharpnose in while fishing on the pier. I used a second, larger tub (120 gallons) to transport from fishing site to where I'm staying and I have a 220 gallon tub that houses the shark(s) for the duration of the vacation and for the trip home. I also have an six foot diameter inflatable pool that is about 600 gallons to use if I need it. Along with the aerators I use external pumps to flow water through cycled bio-filters of my own design (they even have small counter-current skimmers built in). So far I ahve a 100% survival rate of transporting sharks from as far as South Carolina (a 13 hour trip).
I am looking forward to my North Carolina trip in three weeks and hope to have a few sharpies and bonnets.
Email me about the leopard, if it is still available. Sorry but have had some problems with employees at work and havn't much free time. I'll post a few pics of the transport tanks in a bit so you can see what they are.

mattiej

Cincy, I don't have a male bamboo. The pics are all of three smooth dogfish I caught while fishing a pier in Delaware. I can get you a dogfish fairly easily. The largest of the three is just over 25 inches and the smallest is about 19 inches. I did catch a very large female that was probably around 45 inches but I was fairly sure she was gravid so I let her go. A question back at you, how are the BT doing in the tank? I still wake each morning with the hope and anticipation that I'll hear from you they have bred and I'm on THE LIST.:D
Plans are looking very good for my vacation. I get almost daily reports that both sharpnose and bonnet pups are starting to show in numbers at the areas I'll be fishing. Just three more weeks and let the games begin. The only thing concerning me now is Murphy's Law, ie the more I brag about the trip the less likely I'll actually catch any sharks.

cincyreefer

Wow, those dogfish look exactly like an adult bamboo... especially the eyes. I was wondering why you were showing some bamboos after a collecting trip off the east coast, lol. :D
Black tips are still doing fine. The female has really been catching up to the male in size... she has been much more aggressive during feeding time lately and eating about twice as much as the male. Still figuring, based on age, that she has about another year until she will be mature, but who knows. I want to try and set up an underwater camera sometime soon though, in hopes to catch them breeding on tape. Hopefully it won't happen at night... Any idea when the actual "intercourse" typically happens?
That trip sounds like a lot of fun. I was hoping to possibly meet you with a few of my friends but I'll be busy with work during the end of June. Make sure you take lots of pictures!

mattiej

Murphy's Law kicks in, might have to move trip back a week or so. Just got new client at the lab and has massive samples to run. On the plus side is a lot more money for my trip. The cottages I'm staying at are being very accomedating and are willing to move reservations (with a nominal fee of course). I should have the final info by tomorrow night and will let you know.
One plus is that the pups are just starting to run so even with a push back of date there should be plenty of opportunities for collection. Just received report via email tonight that small sharpnoses in the 8 to 10 inch range are being caught. The bonnets are being caught but their numbers are a bit thin. I guess even Murphy, himself, has to give ya a break.

gibbus

Hey Mattiej
I work at a LFS in canada that has gotten in two blacktips for our display tank.
I have been trying to contact you
what is your email?
Thanks

mattiej

gasguzzler I am planning to look into that when I get back from the trip. Hopefully I will have sharks to go around. When it is a little closer to the time, I'll let you know.

gasguzzler

You Know what mattie, screw it. Maybe at the end of this week Ill be able to work out the trip for the week starting the 7th, if thats when your still going, provided you dont mind the old lady tagging along. My work can survive without me for a few days. I need to get my priorities straight!

mattiej

Yes, the dates are still the same for the trip. These last two weeks are going to be the longest yet. Here is a pic a local fisherman sent me ( he is the guy who has offered his boating services and as an unofficial guide)

gasguzzler

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! I want it! Thats the smallest one Ive ever seen! Someone just got back to me about a price for a specimen from another website- $1200! I told him the plans for the trip and then all of a sudden the price dropped to half that. By then, I told him where to put his $1200. How would you recommend I get there- fly or drive?