Somethings wrong

squid222

I have a 10 gallon tank and I cant figure out what is wrong. I have tested the water and nothing is out of wack..
I had a small clownfish for one day and it died the next morning. If anyone thinks they know what is going on please help me.

nanomantis

Howd you acclimate the fish? If the fish is the only thing that died and it was in 24 hours that doesnt necessarily mean something is wrong with the tank. The problem could have been with the fish.

squid222

The tank was been set up for about 5-6 months now. Using a liquid test kit.
Calcium 460ppm
Phosphate 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
PH 8.0-8.2
Carbonate Hardness 196.6 ppm
Also how should i add the top off water? Should i just dump it right in or should there be another way to do this.
When i acclimated the fish i would temperture acclimate the fish first and then add a cup of water from the tank every 10 minutes twice. Then i would net the fish and put it in the tank. I would also keep the light off while i was doing this. I turned them on around an hour after the fish was in there.
The fish I put in the tank is the only thing dying. The snails and hermit crabs in the tank have lived but 2 of them have died.

teresaq

Temp
Ammonia?
you really should drip your fish check out the acclimation instructions on the side of the site.
What kind of circulation is in your tank.
T

squid222

the tempature of the tank is 78-82 degrees. there is a koralia 1 pump in there which goes 400gph and then i also have 220 worth of filteration. I dont have any thing yet to test ammonia.
Would the drip acclimation still be ok for the 10 gallon that i have and still be enough water in the tank.

canisee2

Well considering you don't have anything to test your ammonia. There is really no way of knowing if there was a spike or if the fish were just sick when you got them. The first thing i would do is get a test kit with ammonia and if you cant afford it right now just take your water to your lfs to get it tested.

squid222

sorry it took me so long to say anything. I tested the ammonia and i didnt have any. But this morning when i put my hand in the tank i noticed that the water seemed to be colder then it should.
So i turned up the heater a bit to see if it would help. Just wondering if this is what could have killed the fish.

temp drops can kill a fish but they have to be drastic drops and stay low for a while, whats your nitrites at? i acclimate to temp too and add 1 cup of my tank water then remove 1 cup from the bag for 30 minutes.. turn up your heater so it can cut off when ur tank reaches 78 degrees but monitor your temp as u adjust your waterheater

srfisher17

Originally Posted by squid222
http:///forum/post/2983100
sorry it took me so long to say anything. I tested the ammonia and i didnt have any. But this morning when i put my hand in the tank i noticed that the water seemed to be colder then it should.
So i turned up the heater a bit to see if it would help. Just wondering if this is what could have killed the fish.

Your hand is not an accurate thermometer, you need one.

T

tizzo

Wow!! This sight really has taken a turn. You are all trying to help, but with the exception of ammonia, all that other info is not relevent.
For fish, damsel family especially, things like nitrates, alk, calcium, and temp are not really an issue...
What would kill a clownfish assuming it was not simply to stressed to begin with...
How long was it in the bag before you got it in your tank?
How are you oxygenating your tank?
Do you have other fish in the tank? Are they OK?
If you have other fish, it would rule out oxygen and electric shocks.
If you do not, then they might be worth considering.
If everything IS optimum, then I would simply assume that you got an unhealthy or weak specimen from the store...

squid222

Ok I belive that I figured out what was happening. Temp swings. The heater I had didn't keep the temp the same. So I got a new heater and everything seems to be getting better now. I will be getting a didital therometer so I can see the actual temp.

renogaw

tizzo, i agree, but op did say the pH was pretty spot on (of course, everyone knows it can be different at different times) so i'd not think oxygen is an issue
and there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with how the OP acclimated. i've never lost a fish doing it that way.
i don't necessarily think temp swings would really be an issue either...maybe for corals or less hardy fish.
i personally think it was just a bad fish.

renogaw

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2984035
Your hand is not an accurate thermometer, you need one.

i don't have a temperature gauge... other than some floating thing down in the sump and i rarely check it. My hand tells me whether or not my tank is warm or cold... i can tell. (i did though set the temperature on the heater using the thermometer, cause i don't trust the temperature dial on the heaters)

meowzer

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3012819
i don't have a temperature gauge... other than some floating thing down in the sump and i rarely check it. My hand tells me whether or not my tank is warm or cold... i can tell. (i did though set the temperature on the heater using the thermometer, cause i don't trust the temperature dial on the heaters)
How true...as parents we don't always use a thermometer to tell if our children have fevers...do we?
I have thermometers in all my tanks, BUT...I can tell right away if something is different the second my hand touches that water.

renogaw

yup, and sometimes it just feels cold which makes me double check the thermometer, but 90% of the time i don't even remember there's one in there.
and forget those stupid digital ones... the suction cup never ever stays attached. BLEH

squid222

Ok everybody three days ago i added a damsel it was about a week after i had my new heater. But anyway the 1 and 2 day it seemed fine. But when i woke up this moring it was on the bottom of the tank breathing hard. I went back in there an hour later and it was dead.
I tested the water and all it was all the same as before but the calicum was up in the 500's. I am concidering taking it down and being done with it.
If anyone has any other suggestions please help.
Will answer any questions i dont want to have to take it down.

salt210

where is this tank sitting? is it open top? could be getting some type of contaminant into the water and that wouldnt show up on a test
trust me you have to hang in there. we all loose fish and sometimes there isnt any reasoning behind it which drives us crazy