Spare 110, What would you do?

hammerhed7

It's been a while since I have posted, been busy. Any way in the fall I picked up an oceanic 110 tall reef ready tank 48X18X30 even though the last thing I need is another tank. I intended to transfer my 46 gal reef into this tank, but after pricing lighting, skimmer etc, and then battling a 4 month hair algae outbreak in my 46 I decided not make this a reef.
So the question is what to do with it? I was thinking of a species tank (always wanted to do an undy tank) or maybe an eel tank? Scorpions? Just looking to see if anyone has any interesting ideas for this tall tank. I am also looking for ease of maintenance so I don't want to stock heavily.
If this was a 75 I probably would have moved ahead with the undy plan, but with the extra height of this tank I am considering other things.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks

kjr_trig

Long time no see Hammer....I would consider a Clown Trigger if I were doing it, such great fish and so impressive when they get big, I think a tall 4 foot tank is plenty big even when they get 12 inches or so.
The other option I would consider would be semi-large eel. Hawaiian or Japanese Dragon, or if you don't want to spend that kind of cash, maybe a Brazilian Dragon. I like Harley's Dragon tank, it has a Hawaiian Dragon and a bunch of Chromis and Damsals swimming around to add color and life to it.

hammerhed7

Thanks for the responses guys, a hawaiian dragon is the first thing that crossed my mind with this tank, however the nearly $1,000 price tag may very well leave me sleeping in a vehicle despite my wife being very understanding.

A brazilian is also a good idea, since I am thinking more of a species tank I need something that will make it interesting. My only concern with the undy is that in a tank that size I would need to find a large one, and anything over 3-4" is pretty rare in my area. Since they are slow growers a 3" fish would make the tank look barren for quite some time.
Hey Kirk, it has has been a while. although I haven't been posting I have been checking up here and there. I have caught your tank threads here and elsewhere, and I must say your 240 is looking great. You have a very interesting mix in there. Great idea on the clown trigger I never thought of that. This would also let me add a niger and picasso or something similar until the clown reaches about 6" and I could then re home the other 2 and make the clown species tank.
I don't have much news with my current tanks, my 46 reef is starting to recover from the hair algae battle which killed just about all my corals. My 220 remains the same except that I lost my 8" aussie tusk about a month ago which really sucks. I also added a 3 foot zebra moray, and a 10" orange toad fish about six months ago, they are fitting in nicely with the giant lions.
Anyone else have ideas?

olemiss

Have you thought about a fimbriated moray? I have one in a species 90, perfect fit. An aggressive fish that is not as shy as my dragon.

hammerhed7

El Guapo??? Been a while since I have seen that name, I thought there was a bounty on your head
Hows the training going? I have been waiting to see you on the ultimate fighter, as soon as Dana has the season for the old decrepid guys I'll throw my hat in the ring.
Ok, so another vote for the Brazilian, also a great call on the Fimby, I had not thought of that either. Any pics on the Fimby 90 gal? Would love to see them.
Thanks for all the responses guys, I am in the process of locating a suitable sump, or building one then I will be posting updates on the build.

el guapo

I'm sure there is a bounty on my head. Just rehabing a shoulder injury... Ready to get back at it next week.

olemiss

Fimby is with damsels(replaced as eaten), 4 fire, 2 cleaner shrimp, softies and lps. Workin with a blackberry-so pics aren't the best. Eats anything but seems to prefer squid, octopus, and shrimp

kjr_trig

Fimby's are sweet eels too. I do like the Brazilian Dragon Moray better though. Keep an eye on DD, they occasionally get some interesting Eels, they have a West African Horned Moray (Muraena melanotis) for awhile for like $200, sweet eel, highly aggressive like the Fimby.

el guapo

Its been a while so correct me if I am wrong but don't fimbys get fairly decent sized ? Like softball sized+ around and 3-4 feet ?

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/3218293
Its been a while so correct me if I am wrong but don't fimbys get fairly decent sized ? Like softball sized+ around and 3-4 feet ?
I think they top out at 3 ft, nothing like a Tessy, or Green Moray...All the Dragons are about the same (Japanese, Hawaiian, Brazilian, African). Certainly doable in a 4 foot species tank IMO...Still think a Clown Trigger is my favorite for that though, in fact it got me looking on Craigslist, my wife would kill me

hammerhed7

Great looking tank OleMiss, I like the shrimp and damsels in there. Do you lose many of the damsels or are they able to avoid the eel?
Ok, I have about ruled out the undy due to slow growth, unless I can find a decent sized one.
I really like the clown trigger idea even though they are reported to get 20" the largest clown trigger I have personally seen was around 12" and as thick as a football, and as far an an eel goes the dragon or fimby would work well.
One last thing popped into my mind, what about a medium sized grouper such as a polleni or miniatus? Could be cool, but I would have to keep size in mind as I do not have intentions of upgrading this set up, and I want to be able to house whatever I get for life.
Any other ideas as continue to shop for a sump?

hammerhed7

On the other hand, i could just ship the tank and stand to Kirk and avoid the setup all together

What I really need to do is stay off of craigslist, that way I can avoid so many things that are too good to pass up.

hammerhed7

Crypt, I got your pm. I sent a reply but I don't know if it went through. I obviously won't be ready for a little while, but I will keep that in mind.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/3219243
On the other hand, i could just ship the tank and stand to Kirk and avoid the setup all together

What I really need to do is stay off of craigslist, that way I can avoid so many things that are too good to pass up.

Craigslist is evil isn't it.
As to your Grouper idea, I've never been much of a fan of Groupers....Always thought that had that "grumpy/empty" look on their face...i just love the personality of a Trigger.