specific gravity

iamryanman

needs to come down, now at .026 ,i need to do water change and replace with pure water no salt correct me if im wrong:eek: :confused:please help

bang guy

WELCOME!!!!!
What is your temperature. A specific Gravity of 1.026 means that your Salinity is fine if you keep your tank on the cool side (<80).
If you keep your tank at reef temperatures (82 - 85F) then just mix up your water with less salt during your next water change. It's almost perfect and well within the proper range so don't do anything drastic.

koolaid

Not bad depending on the temp. What are you using to measure? It could be off a few points. I try to maintain .024-.025 using a refractometer to measure. If you want to lower, pull out some water and replace with fresh water no salt.

nm reef

To lower your specific gravity via water changes just remove X amount of tank water and replace it with the same amount of pre-mixed saltwater that has a lower specific gravity. For example...if you have a SG now of 1.026 and want to lower it...remove 5 gal of tank water and replace with 5 gal of new water with a specific gravity of 1.024....each time you preform a water change in this manner you'll lower the current SG...continue until you establish the specific gravity you desire. Salt does not evaporate...the only way to remove it is to remove the water....or dilute it.
Most reefs are kept around 1.024-1.026....and for a fish only system the range is normally 1.021-1.023
The important thing is to keep your specific gravity as stable as possible.:cool:
PS. Gandalf says hey!!!!