Sponges

cadbury

I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with Sponges? I pretty much have my tank how I would like it and was thinking of adding some Red or Orange sponges to brighten up the place, so to speak?

bang guy

Just be careful of the Red Tree Sponges. They have been known to grow out of the water and cause problems with domestic animals.

I have a Red Tree that seems to be doing well. I have it in a low-light, high-flow area. Don't ever pull them out of the water, they need to be constantly submerged.

cadbury

Hey Bang Guy, so in your opinion you would recommend one or two? I would'nt have a problem with animals getting into it, plus I have a 180 acrylic and the top is covered. Are you able to frag it all if it gets to big? Also, how do you get it in the aquarium once you buy it from the store from the bag if you can't let it hit air?

bang guy

Red or Orange Tree Sponges are fairly simple to maintain. Keep them as dark as possible and strong water circulation.
You can frag them when they get big.
It was an inside joke about it growing out of the tank, they really can't do that. A long time ago there was a thread about someones Sponge growing out of the water, it was hilarious but you had to be there.
To remove from the bag you need to submerge the entire bag into your tank and them pull the sponge out of the bag.

cadbury

Actually I do remember that, i believe it was some young kid everyone was making fun of because everyone thought he always lied. He said he had a 3 foot sponge growing out of his tank......lol
Last question, I promise, so what would I do about the water from the fish store, I was alwys told NEVER to let LFS water go into your own tank?

bang guy

I'll tell you how I did it.
I set the sponge, bag & all, into a 5 gallon bucket. I added enough water to cover the bag. There should be absolutely no air in the bag if it was bagged properly so the bag should sink.
I opened the bag and just let it sit so the water could slowly mix and started dripping water from my system into the bucket.
Once the bucket was 1/2 full I squished as much water from the bag as I could. It's easy if you pull the bag out of the water from the bottom and let the water out but not the sponge. Before the opening of the bag left the water I closed the bag and transferred to my tank. Almost no water was transferred.

cadbury

A bit confused when i first read it, but know I picture it perfectly. Thanks so much for all the advice, it was a huge help.....Happy Reefing....
Just a tid bit for you, do you know there is a new Magazine out, its actually by ecosystems, its about 30 some odd pages and very informative and colorful.
Reef Enthusiast-
EcoSystem Publications is proud to announce its upcoming premiere of
CORAL MAGAZINE. Coral will prove to be the best marine fish and
reefkeeping magazine available. It offers support to the beginning
hobbyist, as well as hands-on information for the more advanced
aquarist. Informative articles with beautiful photographs, "Retail
Realm", Club Connection are just some of the many features Coral has in
store for you. Please visit http://www.coralmagazine.com/index.htm to
find out more about Coral Magazine and how to subscribe.