Spotted hawk

simpdaddy

For some odd reason my spotted hawk doesn't like my scarlet cleaner shrimp or the new bangaii cardinal I put in the tank today.
As soon as I added the cleaner shrimp, he was chasing him around the whole tank until the cleaner finally found a hiding spot next to my overflow. I've been watching the cleaner to make sure he doesn't commit suicide. He seems to be ok for now. The cardinal is just floating in the corner not doing much of anything up until the hawk gets close to him. Then he knows to start moving.
I also have a maron clown and he doesn't have any problems with him.
Should I just watch him closely to make sure he doesn't peck at the new additions??

simpdaddy

He doesn't mess with the coral banded shrimp that's in there.
This sucks if I have to get rid of both of them.
So what fish would my spotted get along with besides clowns?

austinreef

My Spotted hawk is somewhat aggressive as well. I agree, your shrimp won't be around very long:( I love the personality of these fish though. Mine doesn't bother the Sally or the Emerald crabs, just follows them around and watches them.

dreeves

I dont have shrimp in the tank with the redspotted hawkfish...
As for the crabs...doesn;t pay mine any attention that I am aware of.
One thing he does do which is annoying...he swipes the food out of the polyps before they have a chance to injest all of it..swipes it out of the pipette in which I feed them with too...pig
They are very cool fish though.

simpdaddy

My shrimp made it through the night. I feel really bad that he can't go bumpin around the tank right now. The hawk has seen him a few times but hasn't gone after him.
He likes to chase after the cardinal when he's near it and they make eye contact. Plus the cardinal knows it's time to boggie when he looks at him.
I really like my hawk. He's got personality and likes to be center of attention. I was thinking he just doesn't like the vistors in his new domain but will get use to them after a while. Do you think that will happen??

N

nanoambiance

AustinReef
I have a Flame Hawkfish now, been in the tank for months and doesn't bother my hermits or crabs. He is in a 75 FOWLR with othes and plays well. I love the hawkfish (others too), so I was thinking of getting a smaller to medium size tank just for a single hawkfish when I move to a new apartment (in a year). I know the fish just perches, but what in your opinion is the MINIMUM size for a SINGLE hawkfish to be happy?

austinreef

No expert here by any means, but I think they could be happy in a 20g by themselves. If you could put 2 percs in a 20, why not a spotted hawk.

N

nanoambiance

True. It would honestly be a single hawkfish in a small tank devoted to showing it off. If a 20 gallon would work and be fine, I might do that. BUT, if you could house 2 hawks together, say a longnose and a flame, or a spotted and a flame, what size tank would that work in, or its too risky even in a big tank? Thanks again. Love those hawks.

austinreef

Hey Nano,
Good question on housing 2 together. I wouldn't think so myself, maybe someone else could chime in on this one. Mine is a total ham and has the coolest personality. He will follow me all around the tank!

simpdaddy

My hawk doesn't bother the crabs or anything else in there. Just my new additions for now.
I just asked my friend I got the tank from. He said he's had a cleaner and a few of the same cardinals with the hawk and he was fine with all of them.
Maybe he just doesn't like these guys.

In the past I have had 50/50 luck with mixing more than one hawkfish in a tank together. The spotted are very territorial and if you have them in there first, it is hard, if not impossible to add something it will get along with. But a lot of it has to do with your tank size and your setup.
Hope that helps somewhat!!!:)

bullshark

I have a 1 1/2 inch Arc Eye Hawk in my 120 gal right now. I have lots of little hermits. I should say HAD lot of little hermits. Most of them have been evicted from their shells, so to speak. The Arc Eye will perch up on a piece of live rock and peck at the hermits as they walk by. The hermits will get catapulted 6 to 10 inches up and get picked out by the hawk. It is very violent. The hawk also ate every single amphapod from all the rocks. He is small, but BOLD! It also seems like when I am looking at him real close up to the tank, he will display an aggressive stance. Almost like doing push ups to show everyone he is a tough guy.....
I love my Arc Eye Hawkfish. My hermits hate him.

N

nanoambiance

Ok, so for a single hawkfish tank, is 16 too small, 20-29 gallons are better or what? Thanks.

simpdaddy

Looks as if my hawk is getting adjusted to his new company. He doesn't bother the cardinal anymore and the cleaner is still in hiding but he's seen him a few times and hasn't bothered him.

simpdaddy

Just to updated the status how things are going.
The hawk finally decided to have some real shrimp for dinner. I went on a 4 day vacation to Havasu. Before I left everyone was ok. The cleaner had come down to the rocks and looking healthy. I had my cousin babysit for me and left good instruction on how to feed. Plus I showed him too. I come home to find my tank glass a little dirty. After cleaning it all up and feeding everyone I came to my computer to check out what I've missed out on. As soon as I turn my chair around to look at the tank, the hawk went in for the kill and this time got what he wanted. Seemed as though everyone got what they wanted. Some live fresh shrimp. he took it to a cave for hiding. the CBS, Sally foot and green starfish all got in on the action. It was sad to see it all unfold in front of me. What kind of had me baffled was he waited for me to come home from vacation and it was as if he knew when I would turn around to look at the tank to make the kill. He also came out with it in his mouth perched on a rock to say don't do it again and then went to hide it.
Now my girlfriend hates him and thinks he's a killer. She wants him out too but I won't let him go. He has too much personality.
So do you think all shrimp are bad to have in the tank with a hawk? Other than my CBS.

dreeves

Just the shrimp the fish will eat.. hehe
My redspotted hawk just now ate 3 3/4 to 1 inch krill...what a pig!