SPS ISSUES :(

meowzer

I have a pink birdsnest and a pink Damicornis that is showing white at the base.....this is not sudden.....and it is very very slow moving
all other SPS is doing GREAT.....I am in the process of doing a 40G water change...(literally) and will test the water in the morning to give it time to adjust ...unless anyone thinks I could do it sooner

Not sure what the issue could be or what to look for
any suggestion would help

1guydude

Can u get some pics meowzer?
Could be slow tissue necrosis. Its commonly called STN and its where the tissue kinda degenerates in my belief.....im by no means an SPS expert though so id do some resrearch myself if i was u!

meowzer

I have been reading and reading....and I am just not seeing what I think I should be... :(
and why only 2 pieces and not all of it??????
adding pics....OK....this one I noticed a month or so ago....small spot....and apparently very slow moving

This one I noticed a week or so ago....There is actually new growth on tips...which makes me even more confused

1guydude

Wats ur alkalinity or DKH? Sry i have no idea how to fix this. Im going off wat ive seen and read on other forums!

1guydude

idk lol
u didnt test it before the w/c??? thats wat i would have done...you could prob test it in an hour or so! This is the big tank right? It should all dillute and mix quickly

luvmyreef

I have had this happen to a green birdsnest out of nowhere too in my 75, and it spread to my blue acro. My advice is to frag it now before you loose it all. Make sure the fragged piece doesnt have any white areas. Large water changes did not help me, and if I had not fragged it when I did, I would not have it now.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///forum/thread/386581/sps-issues#post_3396396
I have had this happen to a green birdsnest out of nowhere too in my 75, and it spread to my blue acro. My advice is to frag it now before you loose it all. Make sure the fragged piece doesnt have any white areas. Large water changes did not help me, and if I had not fragged it when I did, I would not have it now.
The weird thing is this birdsnest "died" once before...I never too kthe skeleton out...and one day I noticed some new growth, and it came back to life bigger and better then ever
SO I almost hate to touch it...I never know when to leave things alone or not....LOL

1guydude

I got some SPS frags from king neptune and he told me to do the same thing! He said you could cut the white off but not to worry...as it was just bleached out! However it still is white and no polyps or new growth on the white area from wat i can tell!

spanko

First get out your magnifying glass and check for tiny red dots where the flesh meets the white skeleton. Do you notice any swings in your alkalinity? Not enough flow can cause tissue recession from the base up.
One of the most prominent issues for bleaching from the bottom up is shading. Your colony grows so thick that light does not penetrate to the bottom of the colony. This does not look to be the case here.
Another issue would be phosphate leaching from the rocks. Heavy feeding, not enough flow, not enough skimming, not blowing the rock work of accumulated detritus can all add up to phosphate on the rocks.
Just some things to think on.

meowzer

Problem with the mag glass is they are too far for me to get a good look...with the bare eye I don't see anything
alk swings.... :( I am thinking I should be doing some more frequent testing
shading..you are right is not it
heavy feeding
you mean if I feed my tank too much that could happen
...I do not spot feed these sps
I DO use a baster to siphon and blow debris off the rocks pretty often...my skimmer should be pretty sufficient ..LOL
and phosphate leaching off rocks...how would I know???? Everything else is doing great....and spreading out

spanko

Heavy feeding depending on your mechanical and biofiltering acapcity can leave uneaten food and yes this could lead to a buildup of phosphate that would wick into the rock from the sand bed and from the rock harm the coral. I woudl keep a good eye on them for the next week. In the meantime I would take a branch or two from each and secure them in another area to ensure the survival of the species. Remember when fragging, if you do, to cut a brand above the white and into the fleshy part.

meowzer

SO...are you telling me to "touch" it

Not sure I can reach them :(...may have to wait till Tuesday when my husband is off of nights to see if he can reach them for me...BUT I will try later

meowzer

Check out these other sps.....the red planet table and green velvet acro is spreading outwards..and right next to the green is the purple nana that almost died a long time ago

This purple capricornis is literally climbing the walls...LOL

The sunset is beginning to cover its base

Both deepwater acros are also doing amazing

AND the CRAZY Elkhorn monti

This monti is growing and growing

spanko

Everything else looks good Lois. On the last two pictures you can see the effect of shading on the elkhorn and the monti where it is white under the parts that shade the other parts.