Squidd - I need help building my sump/refugium.

crox

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
I am getting my new 120 in 3 weeks and I need help building my sump. I have a Euro Reef RS6-2+ and the bulkheads in the overflow are 1.5" for the drainage and 1" the supply. I am getting a Sequence Dart as an external return pump. I would like to have some caulerpa in the sump/refugium.
Can you help me design it?

emmitt2

As my REALLY annoying (but cute) high school girlfriend would say... I believe the correct question is "will you help me design it?" lol

crox

I need to order it before the end of the week!!!!

squidd

OK Fine, but what part do you need help with...??
You gotta help me out here..
What do we have to work with, what are the space constraints of sump/fuge location, or any concerns you may have that prevent you from using the 120 over 75 gallon sump fuge combo that has been laid out with all numbers, calcs, baffles sizes, cut list and location in Leonas "Plumbing 101" thread and/or Lubbecks " I'm Ready to Move to Basement" thread...????
A quick "search" will bring those up, and between the two there has to be 100 pages of info, tips, calcs, explinations, and troubleshooting, for a nice balanced system for a 120, with supplemental closed loop circulation, sump , skimmer, and fuge set up...
Be happy to walk you thru it or clarify any questions you may have...
Otherwise you can order a 75 today..

crox

I believe a 75 sump will be too big for my setup. I am afraid the floor will not hold the weight. My building manager told me that it would not be a problem if I have 150 gallon tank (120 the main and 30 for the sump). Like I told you previously I'm having Glasscages building my sump but they told me that they have a standard one unless I have something different in mind. I am open to any suggestions with the above parameters. I can go up to 40 for the sump if that is better to work with. Also should I use an internal or external return pump? I'm going to build the durso stand pipe over the weekend. The skimmer footprint is 10x11.5. I also would like to use a prefilter chamber with micron filter socks.

squidd

Well again, what do we have to work with...a 40 long, 48x13x16 will give more useable footprint (and volume) than a 30 @ 36x12x16...
What is the "standard" size and layout glasscages suggest and what do you want to change about it...?
Suggest submersible pump for ease of installation in sump, with supplemental flow from closed loop...(that would be external pump)

squidd

Like I told you previously
Sounds like we talked about this before..???
You'll have to bring me back to speed on where we left off...

squidd

Is that 36 long x 18 deep(front to back) by 13 "tall"...(that's the way the pic looks...)
If so buy it , but have them ship the baffles loose...then we can set it up right...

squidd

Suggest return chamber in center, with skimmer on one side and fuge on other...
Dual feed from tank and single return...
You can stick you sock in the overflow drain chamber

crox

Also I was thinking to make intake with two socks and the skimmer on the left, the fuge in the middle and an external pump on the right side. Will it work?