Squidd - I need help building my sump/refugium.

coachklm

you can but.... the increase in flow through the fuge itself when designed in the middle decreases the maximum possible nutrient import and export of the refugium.
therefore.... by placing a ball valve on the supply to fuge on the right you can maximize the effectivness of the refugium through the flow management depending on it's size.
... sry to jump in Squidd.

trainfever

If you run the water through the skimmer before the refugium, you will be removing nutrients that are need in the refugium. You will be better off as Squidd suggested to have the return in the center. Either have a dual overflow or split it with one going to refugium and the other to skimmer area and then both flowing to center return area.

crox

I think I am going with this Euro-Fil 1. (Less headaches and nothing to b e built unless Squidd or someone else can make me change my mind).

crox

Now let's say i'm going with it. What size PVC pipes should I need for the drainage and the return? The drainage's hole is 1.5" and the supply is 1". I'm building a durso pipe for the overflow using a 1 1/4 PVC pipe. Also should I use an internal or external pump? (Please be specific of the brand and size for the pump - i.e. Mag 18 etc....)
:help: :help: :help: :help:

squidd

Originally Posted by Crox
Now let's say i'm going with it. What size PVC pipes should I need for the drainage and the return? The drainage's hole is 1.5" and the supply is 1".
>>> That pretty much answer's that question...<<<<

I'm building a durso pipe for the overflow using a 1 1/4 PVC pipe.
>> 1 1/4" Durso will reduce drain flow to about 900 gph, can you fit a 1 1/2" in there...?<<<
Also should I use an internal or external pump? (Please be specific of the brand and size for the pump - i.e. Mag 18 etc....)
>>> Will depend on answer above...<<<
:help: :help: :help: :help:

crox

I don't have the tank yet but I assume that a 1.5" durso will fit.
Will that sump be enough?

squidd

Well..it's only about 30 gallon "total" you won't be able to use all that volume due to chamber level variations...you could get a "little" space back if set up with external pump ...Fuge will be "small" for 120 size MT...:thinking:
Still a bit short of what a 75 would have given you...

crox

I know the 75 is a better idea but I'm afraid that my floor would not sustain the weight.

squidd

The 1 1/2" Durso will handle 1200 gph relatively easy, and you'll get close to that with a Mag 18 and 1 1/4" return line...but you have 1"...so a Mag 24 will push pretty close to an equal amount thru the additional restriction...

squidd

Probably not, if you run an average number of 90* elbows and 1" line for the return...
But you can for the purpose of shutting return line down when servicing pump...shouldn't need it or use it to adjust flow...

squidd

Plus a little curve back and up to to the return bulkhead from pump...
Numbers are close, but if you build (and adjust) the Durso right, should be just fine...

crox

Squidd
I know I am a pain in the........you what!!! If I use a Sequence Dart as a return pump will it be too much water going out? Or I can adjust the flow. I like the idea of an external pump better because it will give me an extra few inches for the fugium and less heat transfer to the tank. :help: :help:

squidd

Way too much flow for the sump return portion of your system...would make a nice closed loop pump...