Squidd.......Teach me.....DYI:Plumbing 101 on a SW Tank

zman1

Another 101 topic.. hope I didn't miss it in your post squidd and now double posted.
I when I buy unions and ball values, I get the threaded version and use the threaded/slip adapters. The initial cost is higher, but the Valves and Unions then are infinitely reusable at only the cost of the adapters. I have found with MY BAD involved and changing my mind a month later this has save me a few $ in the long run..

squidd

That's actually a really GOOD tip, Zman...
It's not in the 101 thread (I don't think) but when I did a SCWD to Ocean Motions Squirt change over Thread...I mentioned it...
Mostly because I had the glue in ballvalves and when they failed, I had to cut them out..I then replaced them with the threaded adaptors so if/when they go out again, I can unscrew the valves and replace them without having to mess with the lines...

dskidmore

Originally Posted by zman1
Another 101 topic.. hope I didn't miss it in your post squidd and now double posted.
I when I buy unions and ball values, I get the threaded version and use the threaded/slip adapters. The initial cost is higher, but the Valves and Unions then are infinitely reusable at only the cost of the adapters. I have found with MY BAD involved and changing my mind a month later this has save me a few $ in the long run..
Now in my text, along with a few other fittings.

evilbob22

The main point of this thread has been "What type of plumbing setup do I need" although I think that "How to plumb using PVC" fits in nicely. Keep 'em coming if you have any more zman!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good and I think I attached everything correctly. Can I go ahead and clean up?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by DSkidmore
Now in my text, along with a few other fittings.

Did you ever get my emial?

dskidmore

Originally Posted by Beth
Did you ever get my emial?
I got a note saying you would put my text in the archive. Did you send another?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No that was it. thanks.
I'm going to clean up this thread now if everyone is done?

leona

Hi Beth,
I don't think so. But I will have to go through the pictures on my computer. That might
take a little bit. If I do find some Squidd will prob have to let me know were
they go.
Leona

tree

I've read the whole thread - phew it was a long one
I have a couple questions so I can adapt what I've learned from this thread while I redesign my system. Going from a 55 gal to 150 gal !
Ok we all know that will happen. Here are my questions:
Is there a link with a calculator somewhere to determine flow rates thru the PVC plumbing? I know I've seen one somewhere but my searches can't locate it again.
I was confused when looking at the sump diagrams as to the water flow thru the sump and what each chamber was for. I know there is one for macroalgae, the skimmer, and pump return but I couldn't tell which was which and whether the others were just baffling or other chambers. If someone could clear that up - it would be great :)
Thanks everyone for all the great info in this thread

evilbob22

I don't have a calculator link, but I can help with what the chambers are.
A - Refugium. The macroalgae and/or Pod growing area. It has much slower flow than any of the other chambers.
B - Return Chamber. The pump to return water to the display is here
C - Not really a "chamber", these are baffles to remove bubbles
D - No name, a small chamber to collect water on the way to the return
E - Intake chamber? Water from the display comes in here.
F - Skimmer Chamber
Most of the water flows in through 'E', although some of it is split off to flow into the refugium ('A'). Water from 'E' flows into 'F'. There the protein skimmer does its stuff, and eventually the water flows into 'D'. Then it flows through the baffles ('C') to the return chamber 'B'. The pump there brings it back up to the display tank. Water from the refugium ('A') flows over the wall into 'D' (and from there goes through 'C' to 'B' to the display).

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, post wherever you want, I was saying that this thread ended up moved from here, and into achieves, where it could no longer be accessed for further input. So, now I moved it back.
There is a copy in the Plumbing Thread I have posted in the Archives....

m000240

Originally Posted by tree
Is there a link with a calculator somewhere to determine flow rates thru the PVC plumbing? I know I've seen one somewhere but my searches can't locate it again.

Please do not post links

lubeck

I am sorry to post, but I want to track this thread, I HAVE TO upgrade my built in overflow and sump and want to learn. I want to expand the sump which is not DIY its a 175 pro clear and i want to add a fuge.
Again, sorry for interrupting

dskidmore

Originally Posted by Lubeck
Again, sorry for interrupting
Hard to interrupt a conversation that hasn't been active lately. Feel free to post your questions.

leona

Because of medical problems I need to sell some stuff.
This tank, stand, sump/fuge is for sale.
This would need to be picked up and i don't want to but would think about selling the tank and sump seperatly but they were really meant to be together.
Sorry Squidd and anyone else that helped me...
Tank is 495.00
Stand 200.00 needs some work yet and would need to be taken apart we would do that for you
sump/fuge 150.00
Stand measurements are: 79 1/2H x 92 Lx 31 1/2 W
Top Right cabinet alone is 40 1/2W