Squidd.......Teach me.....DYI:Plumbing 101 on a SW Tank

squidd

Sorry to hear that Leona... Hope everything works out well..
But for some one else...Here's an opportunity to pick up probably the most famous (if not most read) custom built tank and matching sump/fuge...!!!

turningtim

So sorry to hear this Leona. Wish I still lived back east so i could help you out.
This thread is classic and is really what sucked me in to SW tanks.
Hope all goes well for you!
Very sad!
Tim

dskidmore

Aww man, if I had the money Leona, I'd so drive down to get it. Putting this tank together was good times, even if I personally wasn't much help.

leona

The tank is for sale for 495.00 that is what i paid for it. No water has been in the tank. The specs for the tank are as follows
120g Reef ready 48x24x25
2-corner overflows at 6"x4"
Euro bracing around the tank but cut out around the overflows for better access
5 holes drilled
5 Schd 80 bulkheads
Overflows holes are 1" each to fit the schd 80 bulkhead
There is one hole centered between OFs 8" from the top and is 2 3/8 for a 1 1/2" bulkhead
there are 2 drilled holes 8" from the of and 8" from bottom of tank they are drilled at 1 3/4th for a 1" bulkhead.
Sump/Fuge is 150.00
75g tank spects are 48 1/2x 18 1/2 x 21
if you have questions so far please PM me.
Leona

leona

The tank sump and all are back on the market..........................ANYONE?
PS and if you were interested please email me or PM me. If you already did please do it again.

squidd

Originally Posted by Leona
The tank sump and all are back on the market..........................ANYONE?
PS and if you were interested please email me or PM me. If you already did please do it again.
Unfortunatly, you can't e-mail or PM off this site...unless you post your e-mail addy...
You might want to try a thread in the "classified section" of this forum with a link to this thread..

aquaknight

Where about's on this thread, or even if it's been talked about, can I find the basics of plumbing, specifically, how do I connect the return pump to the return line, what tubing should I use (intake/return), and where to get, the tubing, ball controls, T's, etc. I heard to use "schedule 80" pvc. What's different about it, I believe it's gray? Over regular PVC which I see used everywhere. Also, where can I get sch. 80 PVC.
The return pump will be a Mag 9.5, returning a 40-gal sump into a 30gal tank, with a 600gph overflow box. I designed a center return area, with the return being T-ed off and supplying water to the refugium, which overflows into the return area.
The intake will be almost a straight shot down, maybe 2 45's used, would those be better then using Flex-Spa? I heard you can cement Flex-Spa right into PVC lines, is this true? The return will be about 5'. Most of that distance will be horizontal distance. Is there any trade-offs to using hard PVC as opposed to Flex?
Lastly, do they make like a molded return nozzle/head where the return line connects to the tank, instead of using 3 90's?
Sorry if anything seems random, I'm getting the more complicated stuff, mostly because find alots of help with that stuff, just the very basics got me tripped up. Shawn

aquaknight

No love?
I think I got most of it figured out. Schedule 80 is just a different type, it's gray and higher quality I believe? The return line threads onto the return pump, shortly after is something called a union, I believe is something like a quick disconnect?
Still a couple things, is there a pre-made return nozzle, instead of a couple ugly 90's? What's the general rule for when I should Flex-Spa instead of hard PVC? Lastly, where are schedule 80 PVC and ball/gate valves available? I think Home Depot has sche. 80?

squidd

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
No love?
I think I got most of it figured out. Schedule 80 is just a different type, it's gray and higher quality I believe? The return line threads onto the return pump, shortly after is something called a union, I believe is something like a quick disconnect?
Still a couple things, is there a pre-made return nozzle, instead of a couple ugly 90's? What's the general rule for when I should Flex-Spa instead of hard PVC? Lastly, where are schedule 80 PVC and ball/gate valves available? I think Home Depot has sche. 80?
80 is "thicker wall" and heavier duty...
Connection to pump is pretty much self explanatory, size wise and quick disconnect Union is good idea to remove pump for servicing
There are "some" premade loops, but not i what I call "usable" sizes...mostly 3/4"... After that your into adapting and modifying existing stuff..."J" tubes from overflows or 1 1/4" "P" traps in the plumbing section...
Personally, I'd go for the thinner wall schd 40 or even thin wall 30/32 pipe and connectors...maybe just a schd 80 bulkhead, but even that can be overkill...
Pipe is measured in "O.D." so the thicker the wall the smaller the I.D which means less flow...

aquaknight

Alright, thanks, starting to get it. I'm only going to have a couple bends at most in the line, but the return will run a fair bit horizontal, so I shouldn't consider using Flex-Spa? Only if I needed like a long arc I should use flex? That's only for the return right? I noticed a lot of people use it for their intakes coming off an overflow though. Is there much of a flow-loss if the intake is pretty much straight down between PVC and Flex? Or could I get away with a soft dark acrylic line for the intake?
Also, do you guys secure the lines to the tank/stand at all? By like a clip or something? Or just the pipe resting on the tank and securing the return pump is sufficient?
Lastly, I checked the close LFS's and they don't have ball controls or unions, have actually don't even sell acrylic tubing, but will the bigger/better one further away have them? What about HD/Lowe's? I really never looked in the plumbing section very much...

dskidmore

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
Alright, thanks, starting to get it. I'm only going to have a couple bends at most in the line, but the return will run a fair bit horizontal, so I shouldn't consider using Flex-Spa? Only if I needed like a long arc I should use flex? That's only for the return right? I noticed a lot of people use it for their intakes coming off an overflow though. Is there much of a flow-loss if the intake is pretty much straight down between PVC and Flex? Or could I get away with a soft dark acrylic line for the intake?
Also, do you guys secure the lines to the tank/stand at all? By like a clip or something? Or just the pipe resting on the tank and securing the return pump is sufficient?
Lastly, I checked the close LFS's and they don't have ball controls or unions, have actually don't even sell acrylic tubing, but will the bigger/better one further away have them? What about HD/Lowe's? I really never looked in the plumbing section very much...
Use the Spa Flex in places where you would otherwise have to put elbows. The gradual curve of the Spa Flex provides less resistance to water flow than elbows would. The more elbows involved, the better an idea the spa flex is.
Get your fittings, pipe and PVC glue at the local hardware store. I find that Lowes has a better fitting selection than HD, but that might vary by area. My little local place that recently closed used to be the only place that would sell pipe by the foot, Lowes and HD want you to buy pipe in 10' sections.