Stainless Steel in a reef tank

trouble93

I found a 3/4" cpvc check valve I need in case of a power outage and I'm not home, but it has a stainless steel spring in it. Can I trust that in a salt water tank?

A

ali19

Should be fine, Stainless will only rust when it is infected, like scratched with wire wool or another metal. Nothing in your tank could cause it to rust.

bang guy

Check valves often fail in reef tanks. It will slow the water down but a few Spirorbidae worms and it will never seal well enough to prevent flooding.

trouble93

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3209540
Check valves often fail in reef tanks. It will slow the water down but a few Spirorbidae worms and it will never seal well enough to prevent flooding.
What do you suggest my friend? The problem is if for some reason I loose power my return pump starts to back flow. So I need something in place as a stop gap.

cranberry

You need to adjust the water level in your sump and use drilled holes or siphon breakers in your returns, if possible, to reduce the amount of backflow.

chrisnif

As I said before, my return goes 2" below the water, I have 5 holes all about 1/8", looking closer, 2 of them are at my "ideal" cut off (just at where the overflow box would stop flowing), 2 of them are another 1/2" below that (and the sump could hold the water if it came down to it), and then the last one is an "Oh hsit" hole (i made it a bit bigger, and it flows some water out so I set it in a direction to supplement my outflow). I havent tested the sump to this hole, i'd probably have a FEW gallons on the floor, but way better than half a tank ;)
Also, as part of weekly maintenance I just take a baby bottle bursh (the little part made for cleaning the nipples) and clean out the holes... Remember nothing is a free lunch in this hobby ;) (advice i should remember myself
)

J

jstdv8

I think that what cranberry was saying is you need to adjsut your sump water level so that it can handle ALL of the water that siphons back down and still keep all of the water inside of the sump with none on the floor.
this way, wehn the power comes back on as long as you havnt lost siphon on the overflow for some reason everything will go right back to normal no worries at all.
I have a 55 gallon under my 90 and it probably has about 25-30 gallons of water in it. Plenty of room for 2-3 of my tank water
Also, this way you don't need any holes, check valves ect. no holes to spew water out of.

bang guy

If you already have an anti-siphon hole and it doesn't break the siphon when you test it then the hole isn't big enough. I would think that a single 1/8" would be enough but you may have to make it bigger if it's not stopping the siphon.
You only have the one return line I assume.

A

ali19

I was looking at getting a check valve because I didn't want to drill a hole in the return. Seems like a silly thing to do, loosing the pressure in the return. I am lucky enough that my sump will hold until the siphon breaks but I'm still unsure about trusting it so I think I may have to go for a check valve.

small triggers

keep in mind, unless you work from home, a powerouttage is most likely to happen while your gone or when asleep.....if you already have siphon-break holes, your best option is to buy a water alert thinkgy (they make them for if water heaters blow) and set that in the bottom of your stand....

trouble93

I think I'll try the holes maybe on the back side of the elbow. You all had some good ideas so thanks for all the input...I didn't have to worry about this before because I always had room in my sump just in case, but by redoing my return line I lowered the the pvc in the tank and I added a turf scrubber so that added to the water volume and as stated above these thing happen when your away. I do work from home well next door to my home and I do have a generator but what good is it if I'm not standing over it.