star fish

sparty059

So here's a little tip. It could be a terrible way to do this but if not, I would like to consider myself a genius. After my inverts were finished acclimating I took a plastic cup and poked 9 or 10 pin size holes in the bottom. I then scooped the invert up with the cup held it over the bin that I was acclimating them in for about 5 seconds to let all the water drain out of the cup. I then immediately slowly submerged the cup in my DT and let the invert swim away. Good? Or Bad?

sparty059

Well, as a matter of fact yes. I suppose you could call it a net. I just assumed people weren't using nets seeing that they say you're bound to get LFS water in your tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///forum/thread/381063/star-fish#post_3318744
I don't know. I guess I was just as confused... I didn't think you could. People say you do though.

Actually it isn't a bad idea...some critters bind thenselves to a net and a plastic cup would work better in those cases. I have learned to acclimate a diadema urchin in a glass bowl because they dig right into the styrofoam and it is near impossible to get it out.

btldreef

The "bound to get some LFS water in your tank" is in reference to starfish. You can't expose starfish to air, even for a few seconds, so you're going to get some of the LFS water in your tank.

sparty059

Oh? Why not? I've done this before (Brittle Starfish) and I don't know if I just killed it or not now. Just to help everyone understand the situation... I didn't take it out of the tank for selfish reasons like to play with it. But it had moved over the egg crate into the section where the water flows from the refugium to the sump. So I picked him up and had him out for about 2 secodns or so and dumped him back into the proper area. He was moving slowly and then I ended up heading up to bed. Is it possible he is dead?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///forum/thread/381063/star-fish#post_3318857
Oh? Why not? I've done this before (Brittle Starfish) and I don't know if I just killed it or not now. Just to help everyone understand the situation... I didn't take it out of the tank for selfish reasons like to play with it. But it had moved over the egg crate into the section where the water flows from the refugium to the sump. So I picked him up and had him out for about 2 secodns or so and dumped him back into the proper area. He was moving slowly and then I ended up heading up to bed. Is it possible he is dead?
It is possible but you might be okay as well.
Are you talking about mini brittles that come as hitch hikers with live rock?

sparty059

Sorry, yes. I ment to mention that it was a mini brittle. If he died then it will be sad no doubt... but my Chaeto has stock full of them... it looks like that's a prime breeding spot for them in there. I'd love to find someone that would want to do some sort of trade for some of them. I'm surprised at how much they cost is stores for such small guys.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///forum/thread/381063/star-fish#post_3318874
Sorry, yes. I ment to mention that it was a mini brittle. If he died then it will be sad no doubt... but my Chaeto has stock full of them... it looks like that's a prime breeding spot for them in there. I'd love to find someone that would want to do some sort of trade for some of them. I'm surprised at how much they cost is stores for such small guys.
Mini brittles are different, they are much more tolerant than other starfish. Even larger brittles don't do as well. Keep in mind that mini brittles can even survive tanks cycling while other starfish can't handle slight changes in water parameters.
Your mini brittles are fine...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///forum/thread/381063/star-fish#post_3318874

Sparty...I want some mini brittles...talk to me..PLEASE.
My heater broke in half and fried my tank...I lost all the tiny critters in my sand and rocks. I need to replace them. I have some bristle worms, isopods, amphipods and I THINK copepods..but no little brittles.
I have stuff to trade...PM me and I will give you my private e-mail address. We can't sell or trade here on the site.