Starfish for a 14g?

adairable

Is it possible to get a star fish for a 14g? :thinking:
I want to one day have soft corals and I am afraid it will eat them!!!! :scared:

reefer545

You can defintately get a starfish. I would suggest it is a must for everybody to have at least one brittle star. NOT A GREEN BRITTLE STAR. Those will eat your corals. You may also very comfortably have a tile star, sandsifting star, linckia star. Stars are very very demanding creatures as far as handling, water quality, and most importantly acclimation go. research which stars appeal to you before you go buy one. Chocolate chip stars, though affordable, will go after certain desirable reef specimens. My personal favorite has always been the pink tile star or red fromia, related, but not the same. Starfisha re GREAT scavengers, and will play a big role in cleaning up after your fish and you. For a 14 g. setup get a SMALL star. Don't let yourself be sold on some large star that looks cool and is staring you in the face. Shoot for one about the size of a silver dollar or a little larger. If you get a brittle star, it can be a good deal larger, but also know, many times people buy stars and they starve to death because the tankis not mature enough,a dn the stars do not get a well balanced diet. This can take months to happen. Anybody want to add or correct me, I invite you to please do so.
R545

adairable

Originally Posted by REEFER545
You can defintately get a starfish. I would suggest it is a must for everybody to have at least one brittle star. NOT A GREEN BRITTLE STAR. Those will eat your corals. You may also very comfortably have a tile star, sandsifting star, linckia star. Stars are very very demanding creatures as far as handling, water quality, and most importantly acclimation go. research which stars appeal to you before you go buy one. Chocolate chip stars, though affordable, will go after certain desirable reef specimens. My personal favorite has always been the pink tile star or red fromia, related, but not the same. Starfisha re GREAT scavengers, and will play a big role in cleaning up after your fish and you. For a 14 g. setup get a SMALL star. Don't let yourself be sold on some large star that looks cool and is staring you in the face. Shoot for one about the size of a silver dollar or a little larger. If you get a brittle star, it can be a good deal larger, but also know, many times people buy stars and they starve to death because the tankis not mature enough,a dn the stars do not get a well balanced diet. This can take months to happen. Anybody want to add or correct me, I invite you to please do so.
R545
Thanks! i was looking at SWF and I really liked the linckia. I have only had my tank up since the beginning of January. Should I give it more time to mature before adding a starfish?

adairable

Originally Posted by Laxzach
Yes I would give it a little longer to mature. Starfish are very sensitive creatures.

Will do! i just like looking and then I get all excited...I think I am to excitable for this hobby some times :jumping:

J

jesses89

your tank is way too small for a linckia. Ive heard dozens of times, from ophiura, that linckias need 100+ lbs of live rock on which to grace on... in a 14 gallon... thats not a whole lot of fries.
a brittle star would be perfect for you though.

adairable

Originally Posted by Jesses89
your tank is way too small for a linckia. Ive heard dozens of times, from ophiura, that linckias need 100+ lbs of live rock on which to grace on... in a 14 gallon... thats not a whole lot of fries.
a brittle star would be perfect for you though.

A brittle star you say? Are they as sensitive as all the other star fish? Should I give my tank more time to mature for a brittle star? :thinking:

adairable

Originally Posted by **guinness**
stay away from a sand sifting star. they need a lot of tank room/sand bed.
will do, thanks for the advise
....plus my sand is all different sizes and there is very little sand bc there is so much LR, you know

b0bby1

wut bout the fromia stars? i was looking at them and they seem small enough for my 20 gallon, but i dont no if ther reef safe comment back