Starfish ID.

lagatbezan

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of starfish this is, what it eats, and any other info on it! There is one for sale at a local pet store and i'm thinking of getting it! The guy told me that its reef safe and eats algae!
Thanks!

bang guy

Ophiura is going to need to help but it looks like a Coral muncher to me. Hope I'm wrong, it looks really cool!

nicky1.8t

wow very cool looking star prolly a coral eater i only say that because all the cool things eat corals blah:mad:

lesa

My sister had one in her tank, and the lfs store told her it was a algea eating star. But it died:(

john reed

Not sure what kind starfish it is but I've seen one before and my LFS said it was not reef safe. Coral Muncher, Coral Muncher YA YA YA:)

ophiura

It is probably Echinaster echinophorus. I believe I have mentioned this before here, so a search might turn up someone who keeps it. If it is, it is probably reef safe, but no guarantees. However, it is commonly found on mangrove roots, and not necessarily coral reefs...this would indicate that it is a film type feeder, though perhaps sponges also. It is probably not, just as with Linckia, an "algae" eater in the sense that people think.
A good question to ask is if it is from Florida/Caribbean or Pacific. If Caribbean, than it is most likely Echinaster.
If reef safe it needs a lot of LR, no other star competitors, a large mature reef tank with pristine water parameters, and a long acclimation. It may not respond to any prepared foods, as few reef safe stars do.

lagatbezan

Actually after some research, I found an old post by Ophiura where she mentions that it is reef safe and She also has the same picture posted. I was wondering if she or anyone else could give me any other info on it, like diet, water conditions and any other info.
Thanks everyone!

lagatbezan

I must have been typing at the same time as you Ophiura!!!
Thanks for the info!!!
I belive it is from the Caribbean. It looks really active and moves all over the place!
Thanks for the info and quick reply!