Started a 56G FOWLR tank and could use some help with picking fish

kenman345

So I know this isnt a thread about the topic, but can anyone help me understand hyposalinity? I get that it can treat ich and that it is pretty safe for a fish in a QT for a few weeks but my main thing is does it work for all parasites? I understand that it does not help with bacterial infections but does it treat all parasites if in an early enough stage? Your help to understand this will be greatly appreciated.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545021
Beth is who would know. I ve only heard hypo to treat ich
You see, In reading over the big thread about it, it sounds like it treats parasites but not bacterial infections. But then it only discusses Ich as being something you use hyposalinity to treat it with.

I ask because I want to figure out if I should just acclimate my new fish to the quarantine tank and after a day or two just go the hyposalinity route to cover my bases. since it's not harmful to the fish if they are healthy anyways, it wouldn't be a problem unless it really only treated 1 type of parasite, in which case it would not be worth it.

kenman345

So, I went to the fish store on my lunch break today (probably the best part about this hobby is never failing to have something to do with your spare time even when on vacation) and they didnt have the tank-bred cardinalfish I wanted but they do have some firefish goby's that look cool. I wanted goby's anyways and since I found out last night that my QT is ready to get some usage, I figured these guys might be the right ones for me.

I also picked up a Hydor ATO, so I just need to pick up a aqualifter and i'll be all set to have a well configured QT. Well, that and some PVC piping.

I know the firefish are not tank bred, but one of the guys I trust at the store said he's had them for years and they usually will pick at anything, especially if given enough time. Since that is my main concern with going for non-tank bred fish, I am just gonna do some research between some things at work and make a decision on my way home from work today.

geridoc

Hyposaliinity will not kill all external parasites (examples of survivors are brooklynella hostis and oodinium), and none of the internal critters. There are drugs that will kill internal parasites, and many of us do use them routinely, but you should still qt for a month or 6 weeks to cover all the bases. A really rigorous qt procedure begins with either a freshwater or formaldehyde bath, followed by drug treatment for internal parasites for 6 weeks.

silverado61

Elaberate on "my qt is ready to get some usage".
Also, hypo takes just as long if not longer than just quarantine for 4-6 wks. Save your fish some stress and unnessary treatment and just qt the fish.
As Beth would say,"you wouldn't put yourself through chemo if you didn't have cancer would you?"

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545027
Elaberate on "my qt is ready to get some usage".
Also, hypo takes just as long if not longer than just quarantine for 4-6 wks. Save your fish some stress and unnessary treatment and just qt the fish.
As Beth would say,"you wouldn't put yourself through chemo if you didn't have cancer would you?"
Well, firstly, my tank has cycled. I tested my water levels and had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite but a little nitrate. This after only two days with the sponge filter from my main tank that I had in when the tank initially cycled for the first time.

Hyposalinity is safe for the fish though, which is why I was asking about it. I have a bottle of cupramine in case I need it but I honestly don't want to subject my fish to that unless I have to as I feel giving them toxins may impact their lifespan more than just using hyposalinity.

Getting the responses about hyposalinity not working for all parasites just limits it so that I will not start that type of treatment unless I know they need it. I am just trying to be as well prepared as possible and not hurt the fish in the short term or long term.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriDoc http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545026
Hyposaliinity will not kill all external parasites (examples of survivors are brooklynella hostis and oodinium), and none of the internal critters. There are drugs that will kill internal parasites, and many of us do use them routinely, but you should still qt for a month or 6 weeks to cover all the bases. A really rigorous qt procedure begins with either a freshwater or formaldehyde bath, followed by drug treatment for internal parasites for 6 weeks.
Sorry about the double posting, but where in LI do you live?

silverado61

Hypo, if not done correctly and follow Beths instructions to the letter, is not "safe for fish". And how can your qt possibly be cycled in two days?

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545030
Hypo, if not done correctly and follow Beths instructions to the letter, is not "safe for fish". And how can your qt possibly be cycled in two days?
I already had an established bacteria build up from the sponge filter. It's a double sponge (W shaped) and was in my tank since it started. All that said, and the levels are so clear my grandmother with poor vision would say my nitrites are 0.

flower

Hi,

A filter sponge will do the trick...
Macroalgae will also help to maintain parameters.

Do your quarantine for 3 weeks and not worry about what you MIGHT have to do, unless you notice a problem. If you see a problem...THEN research and ask questions on the best treatment. You will drive yourself to an early grave trying to prepare for everything, that could possibly ever go wrong..

but I have to ask...what do you mean the levels are so clear that even old grandma can see the nitrites are 0? Is your meaning the test results are easy to read?

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545063
Hi,

A filter sponge will do the trick...
Macroalgae will also help to maintain parameters.

Do your quarantine for 3 weeks and not worry about what you MIGHT have to do, unless you notice a problem. If you see a problem...THEN research and ask questions on the best treatment. You will drive yourself to an early grave trying to prepare for everything, that could possibly ever go wrong..

but I have to ask...what do you mean the levels are so clear that even old grandma can see the nitrites are 0? Is your meaning the test results are easy to read?
I mean that my Nitrites were so low that the blue was spot on in most every light to the comparison chart.

Took this when I acclimated my new fish. They're loving the PVC connectors I put in the tank

EDIT: For the record, the bucket was clean when i started. It was feeding time for the cardinal and i threw a few pieces of brine shrimp in while acclimating them to see if they would take to it. Also, some dirty stuff was in the bag from the store.

So in regards to quarantine, you are saying 3 weeks as opposed to 6?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545065

So in regards to quarantine, you are saying 3 weeks as opposed to 6?

Hi,

If you see a problem the 6 weeks would be needed, but if you don't see any hint of problems the 3 weeks or maybe 4 would be fine. If the fish are sick you will certainly know by then. If they are sick you need to treat them, and continue to observe them to be sure they are okay.

Keep in mind everyone has their own way, and we often give advice according to our personal preferences. The 3 to 4 weeks quarantine time is mine. It won't hurt to wait it out for 6 weeks if that is what makes you feel more confident before adding them in the display.

kenman345

Happy little Quarantined fish.

They like to hover in the currents whenever the light is on. Otherwise they seem to hide behind a PVC end I put in the tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545190

They like to hover in the currents whenever the light is on. Otherwise they seem to hide behind a PVC end I put in the tank.

Hi,

They are such cool little fish...My only problem with dart fish is that they jump and commit sushi on me. I now have a mesh cover I made because they can manage to even jump through egg crate. I hope they live long happy lives in your care. I'm delighted to see you use a quarantine tank, it will save you so much grief down the road.

silverado61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345
http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545190

Hi,

They are such cool little fish...My only problem with dart fish is that they jump and commit sushi on me. I now have a mesh cover I made because they can manage to even jump through egg crate. I hope they live long happy lives in your care. I'm delighted to see you use a quarantine tank, it will save you so much grief down the road.
+1. Good luck and have fun.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/40#post_3545307

Hi,

I actually got the parts for making a screen cover for my tank yesterday. I have not yet made it because I was waiting on a tool to help me take apart a piece of my protein skimmer which I assembled wrong and so I could place it on the side of my tank. I want to have everything configured before I make my screen, so I am figuring that out soon and also my ATO system needs to be hooked up already. I went to the container store yesterday and got 3 potential containers to try. I am also setting up an ATO on my QT soon. Got the Hydor ATO and an Aqualifter for the QT. As noted previously, I have the Tunze Osmolator 3155 for my DT. I really should have hooked them up already but I didn't have a reservoir yet for either of them and the aqualifter came in today.

EDIT: The firefish are seemingly happy. I am really enjoying having them so far and they are not even in my main tank. I cannot wait to be able to move them into the big tank and start using an automatic feeder. Currently my feeders seem to feed too much for me to be comfortable about using it on 1 fish.

I will be making some holes/spots in my screen cover for funnels for my feeders to use so their are different foods at different spots in the tank. I am thinking about using a piece of acrylic a few inches wide underneath my screen cover to provide me a stable shelf for 1-3 feeders for the tank.