Started a 56G FOWLR tank and could use some help with picking fish

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/80#post_3546323
Cool to know people have canopies made, can you show a pic?

Also, I was thinking maybe some static cling in black to put on the inside to help remove some light pollution. Or maybe make a small curtain I can pull to the side when i am doing maintenance. Nothings been decided yet but I am definitely on the look out

Hi,

Paint the back black or blue... you can even swirl the two together. They do make backgrounds that cling, I have one on my 90g... I painted the back of my 56g black and I'm so glad I did. The snails lay eggs and it looks like stars in the background. Coraline algae will eventually cover it all up anyway, but it will take many years and you should have some kind of background or the tank doesn't look it's best.

As for the canopy pic Snake made for me... excuse the mess, and the top of the door looks very light in the picture, it isn't that light in reality...but it could use some more black paint, it must have worn over the years. The nice decorative grooves Snake put in the canopy really pulled it together to match the stand.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/100#post_3546373

Hi,

Paint the back black or blue... you can even swirl the two together. They do make backgrounds that cling, I have one on my 90g... I painted the back of my 56g black and I'm so glad I did. The snails lay eggs and it looks like stars in the background. Coraline algae will eventually cover it all up anyway, but it will take many years and you should have some kind of background or the tank doesn't look it's best.

As for the canopy pic Snake made for me... excuse the mess, and the top of the door looks very light in the picture, it isn't that light in reality...but it could use some more black paint, it must have worn over the years. The nice decorative grooves Snake put in the canopy really pulled it together to match the stand.

I think people are missing that I have a cling on my tank, i am talking about the tempered glass door to the stand.

Anyone know how long it takes for a female to be established when you have two clownfish that are the same size? I just got mine yesterday in the QT and I have a divider which I am gonna use to feed one more than the other, but I was wondering how long it will take for one to grow substantially larger than the other

tonysi

What I have noticed with clowns that are the same size is that they need the physical interaction with each other and that will determine which one will become female.

silverado61

silverado61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/100#post_3546383
Quote:

Anyone know how long it takes for a female to be established when you have two clownfish that are the same size? I just got mine yesterday in the QT and I have a divider which I am gonna use to feed one more than the other, but I was wondering how long it will take for one to grow substantially larger than the other
I think your wasting your time with the divider. A fish will only eats what it wants and the rest just goes to waste, fouling up the whole tank.

Nature works at it's own pace. You can't choose or force which clown to become a female. Least of all by feeding it more than the other. For all you know, you already have one of each. Just let nature take it's own course.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/100#post_3546394
I think your wasting your time with the divider. A fish will only eats what it wants and the rest just goes to waste, fouling up the whole tank.

Nature works at it's own pace. You can't choose or force which clown to become a female. Least of all by feeding it more than the other. For all you know, you already have one of each. Just let nature take it's own course.
I was gonna separate them whenever I fed and feed the one I want to become female more often, not more per time exactly.

I guess I shall just feed them appropriately from now on. They are just absolutely the same size, hardly any different at all, so I hope they do not hurt each other in the quarantine tank. I think I am going to add some more PVC ends to help give them more hiding spots. I am very excited to have these beautiful fish in the quarantine tank, and to eventually bring them into my DT. I think after these guys, I will only add another fish if one of the other fish dies. I think 5 in my tank will be plenty enough and also, enough that if I get a slightly smaller tank in the future, I can move all these guys into the new tank (when I eventually move to an apartment, i dont think I can bring this large tank)

silverado61

At 56g I really don't think you'll have a problem in a apartment. Unless it's a really old building and you have no load bearing walls. lol Most newer appt's have concrete floors.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/100#post_3546405
At 56g I really don't think you'll have a problem in a apartment. Unless it's a really old building and you have no load bearing walls. lol Most newer appt's have concrete floors.
I actually am not in love with my tank, I would've made holes in the back and gone with a sump design. I was thinking when I move to an apartment, it will likely be for a few years, so I may want to go with an All-In-One design for then maybe a 30G tank. I would dismantle the tank I currently have and do some modifications to prep it for whenever I move into a house, and have it with a sump system to really maximize it's potential. I may even decide to make a new stand for the tank with the huge amount of time I will have so that I can have an easily accessible sump and plenty of storage how I want it. This tank is definitely a learning experience and I may have rushed getting this tank a little bit. I did not fully understand the difference between a reef ready tank and a non-reef ready tank. But then again, the tank cost was incurred by my parents, who got it for me as a birthday present, so I was not going to go too crazy on the size and cost. They would've suggested I get this tank to see if I am really capable and dedicated enough to keeping livestock for extended periods of time.

My dream is to eventually have two fairly decent sized tanks, both connected, whereby one is a display tank in the more traditional sense, with maybe even some corals and then a planted display tank that is my nutrient export with lots of macroalgaes. I preferably would like them on opposite sides of a room, but mainly, it would be cool to have them at the same height, so they are level with each other and I can do maintenance on one and have it on both (water changes mainly). It may be a far away dream, but my GF is the one who got me into this hobby, so she's definitely been supportive of the idea.

On a side note, this is some of what I did this weekend to the tank and stand:
  • Trimmed my Chaetomorpha in the refugium
  • Refilled my ATO reservior
    Installed light fixtures in tank stand
    Bought and configured some organization bins for the top area of my stand

I wanted to show you the amount of light the fixtures are giving me. I will show pictures of the bottom of the stand when I am done with the wiring and figuring it all out. It's all still a work in progress. I do not have the lights on an automated configuration yet, but at least they can be turend on by the turn of a knob and both will turn on. It's quite convenient already.

I haven't filled all the white little boxes, but i plan to use them for little things like spare parts to items and the big see through container holds all my dry fish food supplies. I have to find a nice way to hold all my manuals and large pamphlets I wanna keep, but I think that won't be too hard to find. I am working in stages and chugging along to make the most of the stand. The light you see if attached with a link cable to the bottom light which has the power source coming into it on the other side is so bright and gives me a very clear view of everything I need. Right now I store a small netbook attached to my Reefkeeper elite to the right of that food storage container, so that is not usable space yet, but may easily be able to store a another clear container for my manuals I like to keep.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have not figured out the door issue yet with the light escaping, but I definitely will be coming up with something before I install the door sensor just in case it may need to be installed after whatever my solution is. The nice part is I have a IR extender that is hooked up to the item that gives off the most light, so for most basic setting changes I do not even need to have the front of it exposed, since the receiver is on the outside of the tank. This makes everything a lot easier as I can cover it up as much as I need to in need be.

I definitely need to get to the store though and get some pond liner for the inside of the bottom of my tank, I think that will be a nice added countermeasure in terms of making the stand last longer and not killing my floors over time.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Digital Aquatics Single bracket float switch and bracket kit should arrive today. Tonight I hope to be able to hook it up properly and test it and then start using my protein skimmer full time and really get it dialed in to a proper skim.

kenman345

I figured I would show you guys my clownfish. I got Misbar Ocellaris clownfish from LA last weekend.

I have a piece of Chaetomorpha in that PVC pipe actually and was hoping it may help with the stability of the tank, little did I realize the clownfish would be clamoring around it constantly and trying to host with it. It is actually quite adorable to watch. I am researching adding an anemone to my DT in the future since these tank-bred fish are taking to trying to host with chaetomorpha so quickly. I know the Chaeto needs more flow and light, so I have directed LED lights on the same timer as the main lights for the Quarantine tank, and am trying to figure out a way to get some flow in there for it. Might need some help coming up with something to help it grow a little, give the clownfish a fun element to rest on while in quarantine.

silverado61

Chaeto's are "free spirits" (for lack of a better term) and need to tumble around the tank on their own so your not doing it any good by having it in the PVC. Maybe by being in there, it's dying off and the clowns are trying to pick at it for food.

Never heard of a clown trying to host with it. I think the texture of it is just too course for them.

Just saying.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/100#post_3546464
Chaeto's are "free spirits" (for lack of a better term) and need to tumble around the tank on their own so your not doing it any good by having it in the PVC. Maybe by being in there, it's dying off and the clowns are trying to pick at it for food.

Never heard of a clown trying to host with it. I think the texture of it is just too course for them.

Just saying.
Yea, I know it is supposed to be like that, it's only been in there a little bit of time. I am working on how to tumble it inside the quarantine tank and also be accessible to the clownfish since they seem to like it for some reason. I have a tank divider which can divide the tank but it kills off the flow, so i either need another pump or some other solution. Maybe I can use some excess screen netting instead or maybe pick up some egg crate for a divider and then cut holes in it to allow the fish to get through but not the chaeto to get out. Maybe even offer one of the fish a refuge from the other if they are fighting.

Any recommendations? I dont want the chaeto to get stuck in my circulation pump, that would just be undesirable

silverado61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/100#post_3546465

Yea, I know it is supposed to be like that, it's only been in there a little bit of time. I am working on how to tumble it inside the quarantine tank and also be accessible to the clownfish since they seem to like it for some reason. I have a tank divider which can divide the tank but it kills off the flow, so i either need another pump or some other solution. Maybe I can use some excess screen netting instead or maybe pick up some egg crate for a divider and then cut holes in it to allow the fish to get through but not the chaeto to get out. Maybe even offer one of the fish a refuge from the other if they are fighting.

Any recommendations? I dont want the chaeto to get stuck in my circulation pump, that would just be undesirable
Egg crate is the best choice. You don't have to have the whole tank divided to keep the chaeto in check. It will only tumble around the bottom so don't worry about it being sucked up in the circulation pump. Try making a 10"x10" by 6" high fence out of the egg crate using zip ties and keep the chaeto in there. Room enough to tumble and still allow the clowns access to it.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/100#post_3546467
Egg crate is the best choice. You don't have to have the whole tank divided to keep the chaeto in check. It will only tumble around the bottom so don't worry about it being sucked up in the circulation pump. Try making a 10"x10" by 6" high fence out of the egg crate using zip ties and keep the chaeto in there. Room enough to tumble and still allow the clowns access to it.
You think it'll only stay in the lower half of the tank? interesting.

I think something that big might take too much space in the 10G quarantine tank. but i am gonna pick up egg crate and rig it up something like that and see what happens.

silverado61

It should just stay on the floor. It may come off the floor an inch maybe two at times but unless you have a cyclone going on in your qt 6 inch walls will be fine.

kenman345

This is all of the same fish, does it seem okay? I didnt notice anything yesterday or this morning really, and the other fish seems fine, but this little guy at least looks like it may have ich from the looks of the head to the top fin region. Can I get some extra opinions? I haven't noticed much of a change in behavior in the last two or three days, just noticed the two clownfish being a little bit more aggressive with each other and chocked it up to them being more used to the tank now.

I also have noticed little to no appetite for this fish, though not 100% sure. I tried feeding things I've seen it eat before and yesterday and today havent been very successful besides one or two pieces. I felt bad so I left a little bit of freeze-dried Hikari Spirulina brine shrimp floating at the top to let it feed when i had to leave the room and would take it out after 10-15 minutes. I am worried but hopeful that everything is fine, but can use you guys help in putting my mind at ease.

EDIT: Please note, pictures taken from an iPhone, so may not be best quality.