Started a 56G FOWLR tank and could use some help with picking fish

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/140#post_3546761
Thanks for that information.

I shall have to review everything with my water parameters tonight.

I may start buying some premixed water from a local store while i combat this issue. Right now my RO unit is something that i always had in my house, and it's just not up to making the amounts of water a day I would need to conveniently get enough water for a water change and for water changes for my quarantine tank. I am using regular water with water conditioner for now. I will be able to make the switch at home once my weekly water usage has been drastically reduced to an amount the RO unit can handle. Also, I am not the one maintaining the RO unit, so the maintenance schedule may need to be increased at home on that unit once i start using it full time. Right now, I only use it for my Top off reservoirs and my Freshwater tank.

Hi,

I so hear you... My RO unit makes 3g at a time, it takes 2 days nonstop to get enough water in my 37g tub for a water change, that I used to do once a month. Now I do a small water change (6g on the 90g tank) each day, that way I don't need as much water for the change, and when I have to refill the tub to make more, the tank and I get to rest for those days...so far so good.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/160#post_3546763

Hi,

I so hear you... My RO unit makes 3g at a time, it takes 2 days nonstop to get enough water in my 37g tub for a water change, that I used to do once a month. Now I do a small water change (6g on the 90g tank) each day, that way I don't need as much water for the change, and when I have to refill the tub to make more, the tank and I get to rest for those days...so far so good.
Would love to do that as well, but my needs for water, specifically mixed, means right now i need to have water ready every 3rd day, and i dont have the means right now to have multiple staged mixing stations.

tur4k

Flower is correct. The best way to get rid of hair algae is to get your phosphates under control. Do water changes. Don't use tap water. You can use GFO to help reduce phosphates. Macro algae can also help. Some foods are higher than others in phosphates.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by tur4k http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/160#post_3546765
Flower is correct. The best way to get rid of hair algae is to get your phosphates under control. Do water changes. Don't use tap water. You can use GFO to help reduce phosphates. Macro algae can also help. Some foods are higher than others in phosphates.
I don't have a sump, so a GFO reactor would be quite annoying to install and unsightly. I will work to tune the skimmer better as it is still something i tweak every day to allow more and more air and build up slime in the skimmer neck for the last week or two.

Also, I have a SW5 module that came in today, so I have more switch ports I can use!!!! WooH! I am thinking of stopping by a Microcenter on my way home tonight and picking up a rocker switch that I can use as a way to turn off the feeder timer by not letting it run if the switch is open/closed at the time the timer runs. Just a small idea I had, might set that up some other night i do not have so much work to do on the tank. It would allow me to have a manual button to control the feeder without constantly having to try and change the settings on a day to day basis

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjjohn http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/160#post_3546805
Hi,

I have that exact tank...I keep Kudzu seahorses in it. Welcome to the site!

Thanks.
Mediterranean Yacht Charter
Nice, I am enjoying the tank and stand, but I am definitely going to be busting at the seams soon with everything I've stuffed into it. Any advice on configuration?

Right now I have almost everything to do with my ReefKeeper Elite on one side of the tank, but with some added components I got yesterday, I am planning a move of some of the items to the other side of the tank and spreading out the gear a little bit. I definitely have a ton of considerations to take into account with my plans, so it may not happen just yet.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/160#post_3546811
Nice, I am enjoying the tank and stand, but I am definitely going to be busting at the seams soon with everything I've stuffed into it. Any advice on configuration?

Right now I have almost everything to do with my ReefKeeper Elite on one side of the tank, but with some added components I got yesterday, I am planning a move of some of the items to the other side of the tank and spreading out the gear a little bit. I definitely have a ton of considerations to take into account with my plans, so it may not happen just yet.

LOL...I had so much equipment at one time...the back of the tank was jam packed when I used two canister filters, then I went to a sump and cleared the clutter.

I have since learned I don't need that much live rock, and decorations look pretty good as a mixture...a HOB filter, chiller, a few air lines and lights made my life much easier... I have lots of macros and I just keep seahorses now.

When I had the reef, I had an ATO, GFO dual reacter, sump with a refugium, 2 heaters and 4 power heads. I could send a kid to college on what money I have spent over the years on corals, fish and equipment, LOL, and I honestly feel it was worth it. I love this hobby, it forever changes and gives something new to look at every time I turn around, and we can tailor the tanks to just what we want to keep. I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as I have.

The best advice I can give is that you find out what critter you love the most, and tailor your tank to that, including what tank mates can live with it. Do research on every critter, so you know it's needs, and for goodness sakes...use a quarantine tank to save yourself from having unnecessary grief.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/160#post_3546818

LOL...I had so much equipment at one time...the back of the tank was jam packed when I used two canister filters, then I went to a sump and cleared the clutter.

I have since learned I don't need that much live rock, and decorations look pretty good as a mixture...a HOB filter, chiller, a few air lines and lights made my life much easier... I have lots of macros and I just keep seahorses now.

When I had the reef, I had an ATO, GFO dual reacter, sump with a refugium, 2 heaters and 4 power heads. I could send a kid to college on what money I have spent over the years on corals, fish and equipment, LOL, and I honestly feel it was worth it. I love this hobby, it forever changes and gives something new to look at every time I turn around, and we can tailor the tanks to just what we want to keep. I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as I have.

The best advice I can give is that you find out what critter you love the most, and tailor your tank to that, including what tank mates can live with it. Do research on every critter, so you know it's needs, and for goodness sakes...use a quarantine tank to save yourself from having unnecessary grief.
I absolutely love Clownfish.

That being said, I like my firefish too. I really think I just like pairs or trios of fish. I am trying my best to do what I can to keep the clutter under control but it's a real pain to deal with 6' cords on each Reefkeeper power strip. Right now I am just working on figuring out the order in which I want to hook everything up and the locations of each item that it will involve.

I ran into a little bit of money, so I may be upgrading my circulation pumps to be controlled by the Reefkeeper and never actually turn off, just pulse between them at various speeds. God my wallet sees no relief, but I do plan to stop stocking the fish soon, so that will help

kenman345

Sorry about the double post.

I am very excited to get home today, I have freshly delivered window tint kit and treatment material for the door to the stand. Also, having the NET module on my Reefkeeper Elite is very nice to have. Cannot wait to have it truly configured though as right now I still have shifting of modules to do in the near future

tur4k

The skimmer isn't going to do anything for existing phosphates unless you are running a bio-reactor or carbon dosing. Phosphates will make hair algae grow like mad, but probably won't bother the fish too much. I'd do water changes to get the hair algae under control. You probably don't need GFO unless you have LPS or SPS corals as phosphates can inhibit calcification.

I change my GFO religiously, but I have both SPS and LPS. I have a very heavily stocked tank. The hardest thing for me to control is phosphates (and majano anemones). I think this a subject that most new reef keepers overlook. We all eventually learn the hard way. Phosphates are the devil.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/160#post_3546820
I absolutely love Clownfish.

That being said, I like my firefish too. I really think I just like pairs or trios of fish. I am trying my best to do what I can to keep the clutter under control but it's a real pain to deal with 6' cords on each Reefkeeper power strip. Right now I am just working on figuring out the order in which I want to hook everything up and the locations of each item that it will involve.

I ran into a little bit of money, so I may be upgrading my circulation pumps to be controlled by the Reefkeeper and never actually turn off, just pulse between them at various speeds. God my wallet sees no relief, but I do plan to stop stocking the fish soon, so that will help

LOL...LOL...LOL

That last part of your post is a keeper. The fish are the cheapest part of the hobby, we all do it...forever upgrading to the next best cool gadget.

You might try bundling your cords together for a cleaner look. They do sell covers for bunches of cords at the Office max or Staples. I used to stress over the bunches of cords, over the years I hardly notice now, but I used to bunch them together and try to hide them. I'm an organizational freak for keeping everything in it's place and free of clutter.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/160#post_3546854

LOL...LOL...LOL

That last part of your post is a keeper. The fish are the cheapest part of the hobby, we all do it...forever upgrading to the next best cool gadget.

You might try bundling your cords together for a cleaner look. They do sell covers for bunches of cords at the Office max or Staples. I used to stress over the bunches of cords, over the years I hardly notice now, but I used to bunch them together and try to hide them. I'm an organizational freak for keeping everything in it's place and free of clutter.
I got a wire hider plastic thing I am going to paint this weekend and install in my stand to bring wires from one side to the other.

Yea, money seems to not stay in my pocket very long, but I think for now I have a clear path of what I want. I ordered two Jebao WP10's and will get the APC and DC1 modules for the reefkeeper. I will then eventually get the new Tunze nanostreams that can hide easily, those look cool and will allow for maximum variety of flow in my tank, as well as use up my remaining two ports on my APC unit. Hopefully hen they are released they will be relatively cheap.

Then Lighting will be my concern. I do not know what to do here, I like my Current USA Orbit Marine but it is not easily controllable with the timer I have. I wish I could find a solution to this problem, so that I can also control it with my Reefkeeper. I really like having ultimate control over everything in my tank. I may get a new light that people have gone ahead and modified to work with the ALC Module for the reefkeeper for the Quarantine tank, which I plant to use for a grow area using water from my freshwater tank after I am done quarantining and only need the QT for if a fish gets sick in an emergency.

My Protein Skimmer seems like I may have it nearly perfectly tuned for the tank. It's got a thick layer of slime along the inside where the foam head has gone. It even is starting to bubble over the top a bit. Hoping to see some skimmate when I get back tonight from work.