Starting a 40G breeder.

fenrir

Hey everyone, been a long time since I posted here. I just sold my 14G Biocube setup for a 40 Gallon breeder and stand and I will be picking it up next weekend.
I already know what I want to keep in the tank fish wise. (2 fuzzy dwarfs and 1 Maroon clown) I am however looking at lighting for the tank. I have been eyeing the Marine land Double Bright LED Lighting System 1200 Lumens because of the small form factor and the fact that I don't have to switch out bulbs. I know I want to keep some coral but nothing serious, I am thinking rics, zoas and other softies. Do you think this setup would be adequate? I have been seeing mixed reviews on this light setup. If not what would you recommend for a tank like this if I wanted to stay around the $125 price range for a light fixture?
Thanks guys!

btldreef

If all you're going to be keeping is softies, it should be fine. I have one over my seahorse tank and I'm able to grow macro algae, kenya tree, mushrooms and some palys. I haven't tried any zoas yet, but I think they'd be fine as well. For what you need it for, you should be fine, just don't attempt any LPS or SPS, for that, they suck.

gemmy

Are you referring to this light..the Marineland reef capable?

Or this one, the Marineland Double Bright

The double bright is very dim and will not support much at all.

usaspur

I have the double bright on my QT - the blue lights are almost non existent. Not sure I would want to keep any corals under it. I just wanted an energy efficient light for my QT. I wish i had bought the reef ready one now. It does look nice though

fenrir

I am referring the double bright one. Hmm I am looking at some other fixtures and looking at the

AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures

and the

Coralife Aqualight HO T-5 Dual Lamp Aquarium Light

Both are 78W units with two bulbs 10,000°K
Daylight Actinic
Blue Light

for $120
Anyone have any suggestions?

fenrir

I think I will be getting a 78W T5 light setup instead of the Marineland light. That said I picked up my tank from Petsmart yesterday and if you didn't know they are having a 25% sale on all of there tanks. I will be picking up the stand this weekend from a LFS in Camden this weekend. I will of course post pics because this time I would like to do a diary of my build.
I did have one question though. I plan on putting a black tank background on the right far side of the tank and run all of my cables for the filer, heater, and power heads on the one side. This way the black background will hide the wires from view. I need to know what would be best for a top for the tank since the glass top for the tank only has room for cables in the back of the tank, Would egg crate work ok? If so how much should I worry about evaporation?

1guydude

eggcrate would be fine....make sure to cut a piece out of the middle for the light. Eggcrate is actually used as a light defuser so go figure lol...
all tanks evaporate water! just my .02

fenrir

Here is the first picture of my tank/stand/ {picked up a Deep Blue Professional Series stand today.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/6/68/68cd7082_IMGP0555.jpg

1guydude

nice tank....question
why is ur kayak on the wall man? LOL
i want one and i couldnt help but notice it lol!?!?!

fenrir

Lol that's actually my wifes 14.5 ft sea Kayak. I have the Jackson Coosa fishing Kayak in the second bedroom. We actually live on a third floor apartment and I refuse to pay $150 extra a month for a garage! =)

1guydude

LMAO!!!! ya i agree....
a buddy of mine wants me to get a small kayak so we can do some rapid stuff!